Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
By this I mean, how long before most major apps will require iOS 12 or higher?

Right now most of the apps I use on a daily basis work, the only ones requiring iOS 12 or higher are Chase, DoorDash (still able to use after closing popup) and Reddit. I can live with this as I only really use Chase to check my balance, and as I said DoorDash still and I can use Reddit on Safari.

I was going to restore and update my iOS but decided not to after most of the people here confirmed my fear that it would diminish battery life significantly.

My question is, how much longer will I be able to use the apps I use daily like Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Instagram, Spotify, Uber and Instacart before they require a newer version of iOS? If it’s going to be anytime in the near future I will update to 14 now as the battery life issue will only get worse with every update.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Just use them until you can't. Some apps still run fine on iOS 9, while others got left behind years ago.
From past experience, most apps that insist you use a newer version of iOS let you lag for about two years. So when iOS 14 is done in August of 2022, I suspect some apps will insist the user run iOS 12-13.

Banking apps are not your friend.

Reactions: TH55

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's mostly up to different app developers. Not much of a way to really tell when a particular app will drop support for a particular version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.