Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Given that technology can fail, what is the lifespan owners of the Studio Display are expecting? Considering its cost, I would expect it to last me more than 10 years: good size, no need for more resolution, excellent build quality, ports, etc.

Reactions: Wheel_D

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
With most computer equipment, I count on 5 years. After that I replace if there's a problem, I don't repair anything that old unless it's something stupid-simple like a power supply.

Sure, it MIGHT last ten years. Just be prepared for it to not.

Reactions: pakupakuman

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
Given that technology can fail, what is the lifespan owners of the Studio Display are expecting? Considering its cost, I would expect it to last me more than 10 years: good size, no need for more resolution, excellent build quality, ports, etc.
Do you really want to keep using something that has been left ON for 3,650 days at 12 hours daily?

I'd want a change by 2034.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
It's impossible to say, but Apple displays have quite a decent record. I see a lot of people on this forum using Apple Thunderbolt displays or even Apple Cinema displays to this day. The technology might be outdated 10 years from now, but the screen itself will probably do just fine

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Any tech can fail, some tech lasts for decades, some for days … pick your answer somewhere in the middle

Reactions: splifingate

thosmatthews

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2021
I have a 30” Cinema Display that’s very reliable for 18 years old. Still pretty bright but obviously not retina or glossy. Bought a Pro Display XDR in April hoping for 18 years again but had issues (dead pixels, dirty screen effect etc), so returned it. Waiting out for a bit to decide whether to get a studio display or take a punt on XDR again.

Apple stuff tends to last though. Only just replaced a 2013 27” i7 iMac with a M2 Pro Mac Mini... simply because OpenCore was a little unstable for me this year. Otherwise it’s still working great, except for a bit of screen retention on white at full brightness.

Reactions: picpicmac

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I've never had a monitor (any brand) break. I had one Dell that was defective and replaced nearly immediately. But other than that they have lasted until I wanted an upgrade. I expect my ASDs will do the same. I think the less they get moved around the better.

Reactions: splifingate

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I've never had a monitor (any brand) break. I had one Dell that was defective and replaced nearly immediately. But other than that they have lasted until I wanted an upgrade. I expect my ASDs will do the same. I think the less they get moved around the better.
But that's a totally different beast that doesn't have software updates. I had the logic board in my ASD replaced because it would get stuck asking for restore mode upon trying to update it.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
But that's a totally different beast that doesn't have software updates. I had the logic board in my ASD replaced because it would get stuck asking for restore mode upon trying to update it.
By this do you mean that the software updates will make it last longer? Or are you saying the logic board will wear out in five years or so (going with your earlier estimate)? Or something else?

I feel like maybe I've gotten lucky with my ASDs. They haven't (knock on wood) had any issues.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
By this do you mean that the software updates will make it last longer? Or are you saying the logic board will wear out in five years or so (going with your earlier estimate)? Or something else?

I feel like maybe I've gotten lucky with my ASDs. They haven't (knock on wood) had any issues.
I'm saying that a regular monitor is a completely different beast and you can't necessarily make and apples to apples comparison by saying other monitors owned in the past have lasted a long time.

I'm hoping my ASD lasts a long time.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
I'm saying that a regular monitor is a completely different beast and you can't necessarily make and apples to apples comparison by saying other monitors owned in the past have lasted a long time.

I'm hoping my ASD lasts a long time.
This seems a valid argument. Maybe we’re better off with another brand?

Capt4545

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2023
Thanks for the Info on the Studio Monitor. I just bought it and also the mini Mac about 3 months ago :). very Happy with both so far.

Reactions: grandM

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I have an LG Ultrafine 5K going on 7 years that I just replaced with an ASD. The Ultrafine is actually still working as it always has, but I got tired of the image retention problem. The image retention didn't get any worse with age. I just never noticed it much before I started using dark mode. I also had a 30" Apple Cinema Display that I used heavily for 8 years and was still in great condition when I sold it.

I have had a couple of non-Apple displays die on me before. One died almost immediately and one died 1 week after the 1 year warranty ran out.

Maybe I shouldn't be so blase, but I generally don't worry about the longevity of my screens. I've been computing daily for 40 years and have only lost a few displays the entire time (CRTs included).

Reactions: Tagbert and grandM

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
I have an LG Ultrafine 5K going on 7 years that I just replaced with an ASD. The Ultrafine is actually still working as it always has, but I got tired of the image retention problem. The image retention didn't get any worse with age. I just never noticed it much before I started using dark mode. I also had a 30" Apple Cinema Display that I used heavily for 8 years and was still in great condition when I sold it.

I have had a couple of non-Apple displays die on me before. One died almost immediately and one died 1 week after the 1 year warranty ran out.

Maybe I shouldn't be so blase, but I generally don't worry about the longevity of my screens. I've been computing daily for 40 years and have only lost a few displays the entire time (CRTs included).
I actually had the same with my dell display. Near the end of the third year a huge stain appeared on it. Luckily I took a prolonged warranty of 3 years…

Reactions: smirking

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I actually had the same with my dell display. Near the end of the third year a huge stain appeared on it. Luckily I took a prolonged warranty of 3 years…

I fared a bit better. My LG Ultrafine is mostly good to sell to a next owner that doesn't do a lot of dark mode. I didn't get the dreaded burn in that some people have.

I just have ordinary image retention that's noticeable when switching from bright screens to dark ones. Even when I have heavy image retention, it's entirely gone within 10 minutes of switching away from the screen.

Fennec1212

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2024
My Thunderbolt Display is still going strong though I am looking to replace it with an ASD. I have used it in multiple countries through multiple moves with the original box with no issues or impact. But my eyes have gotten worse as I have aged and I am spoiled looking at retina quality displays on the MBP & iPad. I will keep the display though for a second setup for kids school work, etc. I hope the ASD lasts just like the Thunderbolt….we will see in 12 years.

redboxcar

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
It's impossible to say, but Apple displays have quite a decent record. I see a lot of people on this forum using Apple Thunderbolt displays or even Apple Cinema displays to this day. The technology might be outdated 10 years from now, but the screen itself will probably do just fine

This. My LED Cinema Display JUST started going out two days ago, I've used it daily for at least ten years! Picked up a Studio Display yesterday and can only hope that I'll get similar lifespan. 🤞🤞

• Love
Reactions: fwmireault

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
The firmware updates can brick the logic board, I trust the ASD less to last as long as a dumb monitor.
But are there any of those left? My Dell 6K gets as many firmware updates as my ASD. And the Dell one is doing the update with some wonky software that probably was designed to run on Windows.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I have one of the original LG 5K Ultrafines... the early ones that shipped with every problem imaginable. It's still going after 7+ years, but I just replaced it with a new ASD anyway because the image retention issue was annoying me too much.

The image retention issue has been there since day 1, but I wasn't a user of dark mode on day 1 and it's much more noticeable in dark mode. I had been thinking of getting an ASD ever since it was released, but I waited things out in hopes that Apple would release a Promotion version.

redmac

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco
I’ve been using 2 Apple Thunderbolt Displays at home and 2 at work. They are all over 10 years old, and I never had any issues with any of them.

I also work in an office full of the same 10 yr old displays. Never heard anyone needing a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.