Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoppimike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
Kent, UK
I am new to Apple products but really love 7. I only have an iPhone 4S, and it's telling me that 8.0.2 is available but not forcing me to actually do the upgrade, and I don't want to do it because I know it will slow down my device.

On Android, you can run quite an old version and still get updates to your apps. Does it work like this at all on iOS?

For example, if somebody is still on iOS 6... will they still get updates if the app provider is happy to support that release? Or does Apple push/encourage developers to only support 8?

I'm confused lol

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I am new to Apple products but really love 7. I only have an iPhone 4S, and it's telling me that 8.0.2 is available but not forcing me to actually do the upgrade, and I don't want to do it because I know it will slow down my device.

On Android, you can run quite an old version and still get updates to your apps. Does it work like this at all on iOS?

For example, if somebody is still on iOS 6... will they still get updates if the app provider is happy to support that release? Or does Apple push/encourage developers to only support 8?

I'm confused lol

You can certainly get updates for as long as the app developers support it. Apple doesn't push developers to only support the latest version, and usually the developers support at least one major version back. With iOS 7, it was a bit different, likely due to the major redesign. That said, some new apps support versions all the way back to iOS 5. It all depends on the app.

Check out this thread for people's thoughts on iOS 8 on the 4S. Most of the thread consists of people that are wary of updating, but the last three or so pages seem to be a bit more positive: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1757284/

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.

I'm confused lol

App updates usually are supported for iOS 7 and up. That's most App updates but as new features come out devs will up that to iOS 8. That being said, most apps can handle iOS 7 so you'll be able to run them for a while now without a problem. If you're wary of iOS 8, I'd suggest holding off until 8.1. Usually those are quite stable and are as fluid as they can get.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012

I'm confused lol

Well, most apps that support ios 6 are pretty much dead because the transition between ios 6 and 7 was big because of the UI. But now that ios 7 and 8 look just the same, I think you're safe for one year or two.

Hoppimike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
Kent, UK
Yeah I think my plan is to stick firmly to 7 at least for now!

I've had at least one app not support 7 in the new version, but the App Store just downloaded the last version that did support 7, so it runs fine.

We'll see what happens I guess! :)

Thank you all for the great input!

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I'm also staying on iOS7.1.2 untill they release 8.1 and to see if it quicker on the 4S (then 8.02) and all major issues are resolved.

As said before in this topic iOS7 received updates for quite a while because there are no major changes in comparison to iOS8.

There are ofcourse some widget features and/or widget apps or 3rd party keyboard apps which you cannot download because you are staying on iOS7 (for now).

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
I think as long as developers are still making apps that work on older iOS platforms, iOS 7 will be usable for a while. I am still using it on my 5S and iPad 2.

Apps are still available for iOS 6, my iPhone 4 32 GB is still on iOS 6, and my daughter plays her games on it just fine, and we download a new app about once a month.

My unlocked iPhone 4S is still on 7 as well, it is more or less a backup phone.

Now I will say this, one of my users that I support upgraded their iPhone 4S 8GB to iOS 8.0.2 and everything works fine on it. But it is only used for work (exchange email account, texting, and phone calls), there are maybe like 3 or 4 apps on it. They have had zero problems on it, whereas my iPad 2 was unusable.

Hoppimike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
Kent, UK
At the moment I'm still happy with 7.1.2. Only 1 app (Tumblr) seems to be only supporting 8, and I download a lot of apps. I had to download the last Tumblr version on 7, which works fine.

I really don't like 3rd party keyboards (the Apple one is the best I've ever used, and I've used Swiftkey, Google's official Android keyboard and more). I find the normal iPhone one to be fast, responsive, pleasing to look at, a perfect size, just generally great. I don't get why anyone would even NEED a third party keyboard on iOS, unless they really like that swipe thing (which I don't, lol) :)

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009

I'm confused lol

I use iOS 6.1.2. on my iPad 3 and I quit updating the apps in June of this year. Everything works fine, so why fix it?

After the disaster the iphone 6/6+ and iOS 8 was, I am keeping my 5S on 7.1.2 for as long as I can. Runs much better than a brand new 6.

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
Is it possible to get rid of the red circle on the Settings icon? My iPad2 has iOS 7.1.2 and works OK but I have no intention of going to any form of 8.

Last edited:

monoorb

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014
You can use iOS 7 for a very long time. Your app will stop updating if the developer moves their minimum target up to iOS 8 but you will still be able to use your current version of the app.

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
You can use iOS 7 for a very long time. Your app will stop updating if the developer moves their minimum target up to iOS 8 but you will still be able to use your current version of the app.
That's good to know but my red circle is not for an app. It's because Apple wants me to install iOS8. Will they ever give up trying to force me?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's good to know but my red circle is not for an app. It's because Apple wants me to install iOS8. Will they ever give up trying to force me?
They aren't forcing you, just notifying that an update is available. The only way to get rid of it (short of actually upgrading) is through some jailbreake tweak as I recall.

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
They aren't forcing you, just notifying that an update is available. The only way to get rid of it (short of actually upgrading) is through some jailbreake tweak as I recall.
I guess forcing was a little strong. However as long as it is there, I will be unlikely to notice other upgrades without peering at the number in the circle. Just another irritating apple feature, like having to hide apps you don't want but never being able to be fully rid of them.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I guess forcing was a little strong. However as long as it is there, I will be unlikely to notice other upgrades without peering at the number in the circle. Just another irritating apple feature, like having to hide apps you don't want but never being able to be fully rid of them.
What do you mean by noticing other upgrades?

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
What do you mean by noticing other upgrades?
I guess I am wrong on that. The app upgrade notifications come on the app store icon don't they. My wife has kind of appropriated the iPad so I am loosing familiarity. :eek: In any case our next tablet will probably be a Samsung Note 10.1 so she can watch streaming movies which use Flash and avi's without conversion.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I guess I am wrong on that. The app upgrade notifications come on the app store icon don't they. My wife has kind of appropriated the iPad so I am loosing familiarity. :eek: In any case our next tablet will probably be a Samsung Note 10.1 so she can watch streaming movies which use Flash and avi's without conversion.
Just a heads up, Flash hasn't been out or supported for any mobile OS in quite some time. Adobe got rid of it themselves.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Apple doesn't push developers to only support the latest version, and usually the developers support at least one major version back.

While what you stated is generally true, they do force phasing out developing for "old" iOS versions after a while.

For example, it was not any more possible to directly compile for armv6 devices (pre-iPhone3GS / iPod touch 3G) starting with Xcode 4.5. After February 2013, it became impossible to (officially) submit apps to the AppStore compiled as armv6+ fat (or plain armv6) binaries as Apple started to require Xcode 5 compilation.

While it was possible to "hack" armv6 binaries into fat binaries (via lipo if you wanted a fat binary; plain plist editing and binary overwrite was sufficient with plain armv6 uploads) up until end of August, this year, and disguising non-armv7 non-fat binary uploads as armv7 ones up until about 15-Sept-2014, it's in no way possible to upload armv6 apps to the AppStore any more. This means old architectures cannot be supported in any way.

(This is an acute question as I used to advertise my numerous AppStore apps as even armv6-compatible ones and I always seeked ways of circumventing Apple's not allowing for direct armv6 compilation & app submission. Unfortunately, for some 20+ days, it has become impossible to submit armv6 binaries.)

UMPELGRUMP6

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2014
UK
Same for me(i.e. not going from 7 to 8), irrespective of device. We've more than one device using 7 in the house, even a relatively new 5s, but not keen on iOS8 for a while yet methinks.
I'm not convinced there's a huge benefit at the moment vs risk of hassle with car pairing, slower on old(er) devices and so on.
Quite like the idea of waiting until 8.1 for example. That's a good plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.