Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
I was thinking earlier today about camping purposes, power outages, etc and how long can the flashlight on an iPhone 14 Pro (or any modern iPhone for that matter) stay on? I remember the old days when flashlights were just introduced on cell phones and they’d get very hot then shut off due to heating. Can these new flash lights start on without shutting off? On a fully charged battery, how long do you think the flashlight will last from 100% to 0%?

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Flashlights on mobiles are there just for a convenience. It’s not meant for replacing real flashlights or camping lights. We all want mobiles to be like a Swiss Army knife, unfortunately it’s not.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I remember the old days when flashlights were just introduced on cell phones and they’d get very hot then shut off due to heating. Can these new flash lights start on without shutting off?
I don’t recall my iPhone X ever turning off the LED in flashlight mode. I did a test with my 15 PM, after 30 minutes the LED area didn’t even feel warm.

I was thinking earlier today about camping purposes, power outages, etc and how long can the flashlight on an iPhone 14 Pro (or any modern iPhone for that matter) stay on? On a fully charged battery, how long do you think the flashlight will last from 100% to 0%?
On the same 30 minute test mentioned earlier, battery charge dropped about 3 to 4% — little to no other interaction with the device. So, if we assume a consistent power drain, the 15 PM could be used as a flashlight for about 12.5 hours. With the max (new) battery difference, the 14 Pro could last upwards of 9 hours using the flashlight function.

With that said, I agree with the others. If you camp, commonly have power outages (e.g., storm season), or otherwise need a handy light, there are plenty of affordable options. For example, I purchased this:

Emits a ‘warm’ light that’s still plenty bright. It does have a foldable hook for use in a tent, etc but works just as well laying on a night stand, for example. And the large button makes it easy to turn on in extremely dark situations.

Of course, there are other styles, such as wand LED lights — I received the following "work light" as a gift:

Reactions: delsoul
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.