Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarkingGhost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlanta+35 miles
Does it normally take more than three business days to get an application approved? The only recurring monthly debt I have is my mortgage and Tesla car loan. Make low six-figures. Have MC/Visa/Amex. Fico well into the 800's. Apple ID owned since 2010. Have four iPhones between me and the wife. I applied during the Apple iPhone 14 Pro max Pre-Order process. They called me a day after the application over my middle initial (which I didn't include), the mailing address (which apparently cannot be a PO Box), and how long I've had my mobile number (14-15 years).

Just spoke to a Goldman Sacks rep this morning and my application is still pending review. Say, "wah!?!" I informed them that today I go to the Apple store and use another card, but would let them know that I wasn't a good enough applicant for their card. LOL

BarkingGhost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlanta+35 miles
I was disapproved
The reason why I was disapproved was that I failed to include both my middle name/initial and the suffix that both appear on my driver's license. Legally I am a Junior even though my father has been dead for nearly two decades. But to be disapproved for not including this information is bewildering when Apple's own application doesn't provide places for the middle name/initial or suffix.

Talk about Apple shooting itself in the foot. Only people with First/Last names and no middle name/initial, and no suffix can successfully apply, I guess. Is there some trick to this? Do I treat the First name as FIRST+MIDDLE and the last name as LAST+SUFFIX? Someone please entertain me in this otherwise lost cause.

AppleCard_Application.JPG

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Why not just contact Apple Support to ask how those fields should be filled in?

Last edited:

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Count your blessings you were not allowed into the Apple Card circus. You have probably saved yourself countless hours of future frustration dealing with the GS customer "service" clerks.

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
Count your blessings you were not allowed into the Apple Card circus. You have probably saved yourself countless hours of future frustration dealing with the GS customer "service" clerks.

Very odd. I have spent almost no time with GS customer service, despite making Apple Card my primary card and spending enough on it to earn over $1500 in cash back.

BarkingGhost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlanta+35 miles
Well, I applied again and this time in the First Name field I placed both my First and Middle names, and in the Last Name field I placed both the Last and Suffix. I also took another set of pictures of my driver's license and guess what? Failed for the exact same reason.

BTW, the number people are directed to call are Goldman Sacks. I tried calling Apple on this and they gleefully transferred me over to a Goldman Sacks rep who proceeded to tell me I wasn't alone and that their hands (customer facing) were tied and had no means to decipher more detail/information as to the exact reason for the decline.

More impressively is the fact that I applied online for a HELOC and have already been approved. Mind you it was way more than I needed ($100K) but it was a snap. Goldman Sacks+Apple is a **** show. I wonder if Google has a credit card I can use to buy an iPhone 14 Pro Max, LOL.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
Well, I applied again and this time in the First Name field I placed both my First and Middle names, and in the Last Name field I placed both the Last and Suffix. I also took another set of pictures of my driver's license and guess what? Failed for the exact same reason.

BTW, the number people are directed to call are Goldman Sacks. I tried calling Apple on this and they gleefully transferred me over to a Goldman Sacks rep who proceeded to tell me I wasn't alone and that their hands (customer facing) were tied and had no means to decipher more detail/information as to the exact reason for the decline.

More impressively is the fact that I applied online for a HELOC and have already been approved. Mind you it was way more than I needed ($100K) but it was a snap. Goldman Sacks+Apple is a **** show. I wonder if Google has a credit card I can use to buy an iPhone 14 Pro Max, LOL.
Maybe you should forget about Apple Card.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020

I agree that Goldman's service completely sucks. But honestly, if you're needing to contact credit card customer service very often, you're probably doing something wrong.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I agree that Goldman's service completely sucks. But honestly, if you're needing to contact credit card customer service very often, you're probably doing something wrong.
I could not agree more. I've had my Apple Card since it launched... no issues, and no reason to need GS customer service.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Does it normally take more than three business days to get an application approved? The only recurring monthly debt I have is my mortgage and Tesla car loan. Make low six-figures. Have MC/Visa/Amex. Fico well into the 800's. Apple ID owned since 2010. Have four iPhones between me and the wife. I applied during the Apple iPhone 14 Pro max Pre-Order process. They called me a day after the application over my middle initial (which I didn't include), the mailing address (which apparently cannot be a PO Box), and how long I've had my mobile number (14-15 years).

Just spoke to a Goldman Sacks rep this morning and my application is still pending review. Say, "wah!?!" I informed them that today I go to the Apple store and use another card, but would let them know that I wasn't a good enough applicant for their card. LOL

I got mine at launch. Approval was instant. Credit limit of $19K. FICO over 800.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Very odd that you have chosen to ignore the many complaints from MR posters and those in other media.
I haven't had many issues either, but when I dp, they're worthless. There's still an issue they do nothing about when some merchants still need the old ZIP even though I've changed it everywhere.

hddriver12

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2022

Be glad you never got a card. Apple or Goldman Sachs would have bent you over and made you cry. Stay away from these people, they are not good at handling their account information. I hope you don't go thru what I did.

dlopan

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
I got approved instantly other it getting lost somewhere. I bought a studio but the card doesn't take po boxes for some bizzaro reason. I'll pay it soon and then get rid of it. No po box? goldman sachs weirdness. Oh well apple, no more for you

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
The approval process was instant for me. Didnt use my middle name or suffix (jr).
Me too I don't have a suffix, but my full middle is on my DL, but I don't remember putting it all in. Could use it through AP or online with the info in Wallet, and I think the physical took less than a week

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I got approved instantly other it getting lost somewhere. I bought a studio but the card doesn't take po boxes for some bizzaro reason. I'll pay it soon and then get rid of it. No po box? goldman sachs weirdness. Oh well apple, no more for you
Why are they do dumb with addresses? My weirdness is we moved and changed the address everywhere I could find, but some merchants will only take the old. But it's only certain ones. All the others will work with the new. I've chatted multiple times, but they are always useless

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Be glad you never got a card. Apple or Goldman Sachs would have bent you over and made you cry. Stay away from these people, they are not good at handling their account information. I hope you don't go thru what I did.
Yea I'm glad I never had a worse issue than some merchants still wanting the old zip even though I changed it everywhere to the new. They are useless every time I chat

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.