Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
How long do u guys think it's going to be until there is a permanent migration to OS X by professionals? consumers?

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I think that by July Apple wont bundle OS9 at all.

Consumers could migrate from january (If they want)
Professionals should realistically migrate in march I think

BUT could be sooner if it was really desired!!

MattB

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
I second that!

Probably by July, the entire lineup will be OSX. Bye Bye OS 9...

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
If Apple drop OS 9 they will have to sell their computers with lots of ram then. Th support for OS 9 would be for a long time. It is not like 7.5 (if I am right). The population is bigger now and there is more software around. I know people with 8.5.

The migration to OS X souldn't be traumatic. Apple can not decide too many things about it just until the mayor softwares companies (Adobe, Macromedia, Digidesign, MOTU, etc...) release their softwares for OSX first.

If Digidesing for example, comes with a OSX version of protools, the transition is gonna be slow. First the public should guarante that the software works fine and runs better. Then the rest of the poeple (6 month later) will buy new ram and then the upgrade. But softwares like re-birth and another softsynths should be supporting OSX too. I'm talking about the audio part because depends of the hardware and they never use one software from one unique company for a production. In the video world the scenario is about the same.

So, it is not an Apple desition only. This is involving a lot of other people too and they will walk syncronize at same time.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by mymemory
If Apple drop OS 9 they will have to sell their computers with lots of ram then. Th support for OS 9 would be for a long time. It is not like 7.5 (if I am right). The population is bigger now and there is more software around. I know people with 8.5.

The migration to OS X souldn't be traumatic. Apple can not decide too many things about it just until the mayor softwares companies (Adobe, Macromedia, Digidesign, MOTU, etc...) release their softwares for OSX first.

If Digidesing for example, comes with a OSX version of protools, the transition is gonna be slow. First the public should guarante that the software works fine and runs better. Then the rest of the poeple (6 month later) will buy new ram and then the upgrade. But softwares like re-birth and another softsynths should be supporting OSX too. I'm talking about the audio part because depends of the hardware and they never use one software from one unique company for a production. In the video world the scenario is about the same.

So, it is not an Apple desition only. This is involving a lot of other people too and they will walk syncronize at same time.

No, but Apple will push it along!

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
all depends on apps

I cant think of any Music Recording or edditing apps that are out for OS X yet. All the music geeks are screeming about it. They got a new G4 and most of there midi stuff wont work booted in X running classic mode. Plus I dont think they get how it all works so they see it as running slower than before. Bias, Stinburg, Logic, ProTools, Reason, ReBirth, etc, need to come out before Apple kills OS 9. The music indusrty is a big Apple computer customer.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Apple would never KILL os 9 this early into the life os OS X. Macs will start to boot up into OS X out of the box, but they all will come proloaded with the latest release of OS 9.x.

-Pete

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
OSX still can't network properly with many legacy networks (NT), and is difficult to network with other systems. ntil they improve their networking many professionals will not move over.

Consumers can move now. Classic works fine for most classic apps in OSX...only the odd occasion to have to reboot into OS9.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
i think it mostly comes down to two things:

1) apple "tweaking" osx so that it runs faster and runs without the bug currently so numerous they arent wroth talking about here

2) apple releasing hardware with enough ram and enough processing power to make up for any shortcomings osx still has with speed issues.

i recently has a few friends try installing osx on a clean partition with a clean 9.2. all of them came running to me after the installation thinking they had did something drastically wrong. many even tried to "fix" osx and ended up having to wipe the drive. what was wrong? osx was so much slower than os9 on their machines (all g4s of various vintages from 1 year old to brand new) that they thought something was wrong. there actually wasnt anything wrong with the installation. they were all so dissappointed they decided not to ever switch to osx until they bought brand new computers several years form now.

many of us who have followed osx from dp to pb to 10 to 10.04 to 10.1 dont notice the speed issue anymore, or we think that 10.1 is so much faster than its predecesors that we congratulate apple on the speed increase. there are a number of websites that test osx speed versus os9 speed on a wide variety of systems, from systems that meet apple's minimum requirements to systems that come with all the bells and whistles. os9 is still much faster on all machines apple currently ships. until apple addresses this issue i cant see most users switching.

perhaps thats why we all got so excited about a g5 (which looks so far off now ive decided to just sjip this macworld). how many of us were thinking "ooooh a g5, maybe now i can run osx without all the speed issues."

osx is the future, but its not the present, and until apple releases a processor that is as revolutionary as osx i dont think we will see very many people switching to osx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.