Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2022
I’m traveling to NYC for a total of 5 days starting in 2 days.

I have an Apple Watch and an iPhone but the iPhone has terrible battery life.

I’ll arrive in NYC on a full charge with all devices but need to get my hotel near Lower Manhattan and fear my iPhone may go to 0%.

I’ve read Omny is the NyC subway system wireless payment system and recall hearing somewhere that Apple Wallet will still work even hours after the iPhone itself (or Apple Watch) have died.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
You can always still use a plain old MetroCard if your battery dies. Or even get a physical OMNY card and load it online if you insist on tapping to pay (or don't want to carry a CC/cash).

Personally, I'm so reliant on maps and transit apps in NYC, I think I'd instead focus on strategies to prevent my phone's battery from dying.

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2022
You can always still use a plain old MetroCard if your battery dies. Or even get a physical OMNY card and load it online if you insist on tapping to pay (or don't want to carry a CC/cash).

Personally, I'm so reliant on maps and transit apps in NYC, I think I'd instead focus on strategies to prevent my phone's battery from dying.
I ended up getting a regular swipe card. Friend told me I don’t even need that and can just tap to pay with iPhone. Guess it’s super easy. But just in case went with the MetroCard

Reactions: dmr727

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Consider getting the battery replaced at an Apple Store in NYC. I got the battery replaced on my iPhone 11 recently. It took less than an hour (with an appointment) and it's like new again in terms of battery life, easily going though a full day on iOS 17.

Reactions: sack_peak

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
I’m traveling to NYC for a total of 5 days starting in 2 days.

I have an Apple Watch and an iPhone but the iPhone has terrible battery life.

I’ll arrive in NYC on a full charge with all devices but need to get my hotel near Lower Manhattan and fear my iPhone may go to 0%.

I’ve read Omny is the NyC subway system wireless payment system and recall hearing somewhere that Apple Wallet will still work even hours after the iPhone itself (or Apple Watch) have died.
Get a battery placement at any Apple Store?

The time you spent going to MR, typing this up and pressing submit took longer than getting a subway card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.