Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orthoplusK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2021
Hello, I am going on a long airplane flight.
I was wondering if my iPad mini 4 will survive the whole flight. I will be watching downloaded movies using the mobile Netflix app.
This means that:
Airplane mode will be on
I will have headphones plugged in
I will be watching movies that I downloaded from Netflix
The brightness will be at about 40%

How long will the battery last? And how long should it last if I play offline games such as smashy road?

druPPa23

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
Well it depends ?
How long is your flight and how is the state of the ipads battery?
A new ipad 4 should play downloaded netflix vids for at least 8 to 10 hours on low brightness(30-40%).

For playing games I don't know.

LeMo

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2020
Most long haul flights have USB power. This might not charge but it may well slow down the rate of discharge.

I have a mini 3 that will last 5-6 hours playing movies with wired headphones and flight mode on. I use Infuse which is relatively battery-friendly considering.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Hard to give a definite answer. If in doubt, test it with a longer video and airplane mode.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
Is carrying a power pack an option? I have several large ones. If I’m concerned about needing power, I carry one or two of them.

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hello, I am going on a long airplane flight.
I was wondering if my iPad mini 4 will survive the whole flight. I will be watching downloaded movies using the mobile Netflix app.
This means that:
Airplane mode will be on
I will have headphones plugged in
I will be watching movies that I downloaded from Netflix
The brightness will be at about 40%

How long will the battery last? And how long should it last if I play offline games such as smashy road?
Can’t you just test this at home?

Doesn’t your seat have a USB plug? Or maybe bring a Powerbank battery.

Reactions: Virgilinsanity
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.