Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hewastl286

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
Hello,
how long will it be safe to use Big Sur on my Macbook Late 2013?
The Macbook runs just fine, I mostly use it for browsing...

Will it be more safe when I use chrome instead of safari?

Sould i better install any antivirus software?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
You are no longer safe, as Apple stopped providing security updates for Big Sur in September.
macOS Big Sur 11.7.10 11 Sep 2023 https://support.apple.com/kb/HT213915
Safari 16.6.1 macOS Big Sur 21 Sep 2023 https://support.apple.com/kb/HT213930

Yes, it’s safer to use Chrome, as it’s constantly updated.
Chrome browser for Mac (DMG) https://chromeenterprise.google/browser/download/#mac-tab

You can scan downloaded files on https://www.virustotal.com
and use BlockBlock to monitor software that tries to install itself persistently (run on every start) https://objective-see.org/products/blockblock.html

Reactions: jdogg836

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
no. dont use antivirus software. Many are resource hogs/borderline viruses themselves considering how they're found spamming up every prebuilt PC .

You'll be fine as long as you use an updated browser like firefox, edge or chrome.

Reactions: Patrice Brousseau

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
no. dont use antivirus software. Many are resource hogs/borderline viruses themselves considering how they're found spamming up every prebuilt PC .

You'll be fine as long as you use an updated browser like firefox, edge or chrome.
Still on Sierra on an MBP early 2011, Mojave on an MBP 2015 and my Hackintosh Z390 and Big Sur/Monterey on another Hackintosh, a Dell XPS 8930 I7 8700.

Not sure I’ll keep Monterey as I had a couple of bugs compared to Big Sur.

hewastl286

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
Ok thank you all!
So when i use Chrome on the MacBook Pro Late 2013 with BigSur i will be safe.

But what is with the apps on the mac? Like the Mail App form Apple? Will i be safe when using this?

Also what is with the data (Excels, Words, Pictures) on the Mac? is the macbook safe enough?

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
Ok thank you all!
So when i use Chrome on the MacBook Pro Late 2013 with BigSur i will be safe.

But what is with the apps on the mac? Like the Mail App form Apple? Will i be safe when using this?

Also what is with the data (Excels, Words, Pictures) on the Mac? is the macbook safe enough?
Unfortunately, Office isn’t updated anymore on Big Sur as you probably know. Now, it will work but new functionalities or security patches (I guess there could be attacks via Office docs) won’t be available to us.

In my case, I’m thinking right now if I should keep Ventura (second try) or fall back to Big Sur as I have my Pioneer external DVD drive not playing nicely with Ventura. Mind you, I am using an Hackintosh (triple boot Win11, MacOS 11 and 13) so it could be the root cause of this « bug » :).

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
In my case, I’m thinking right now if I should keep Ventura or fall back to Big Sur as I have my Pioneer external DVD drive not playing nicely with Ventura.
As long as you did your USB map correctly, it's likely a ventura thing. Optical drives have been in a slow decline for a while.

I also have a ventura install but cant switch to it full time because of tiny issues like mouse acceleration changes (since 12) and the forced use of file provider which means it's hard as hell to backup my files that are on the cloud (onedrive)

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
As long as you did your USB map correctly, it's likely a ventura thing. Optical drives have been in a slow decline for a while.

I also have a ventura install but cant switch to it full time because of tiny issues like mouse acceleration changes (since 12) and the forced use of file provider which means it's hard as hell to backup my files that are on the cloud (onedrive)
It’s indeed a new thing since Ventura. USB map work flawlessly on the Big Sur side but, sometimes, on Ventura, the external Pioneer refuses to respond after sleep. Unfortunately, it’s a random bug so, hard to pinpoint.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009

hewastl286

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
ok..
i think i will also install windows 11 on bootcamp on my MBP Late 2013.. so i will be more safe

hewastl286

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
i don't know... i use the MB for Mail, Web-Browsing (News, YouTube, Twicht, Amazon...) i only surf on sites i mostly trust

Reactions: Chuckeee

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Apple Mail might suffer from some of the same vulnerabilities as Safari.
You can use Thunderbird https://www.thunderbird.net/ or another updated e-mail client.
Thunderbird? Are you out of your mind friend? Almost suggesting using Linux. Yes Thunderbird if you don't mind using a byzantine hyper complicated and ugly email client. Stop the madness for God sake. Use Outlook but forget about turning your mac into a Ubuntu or Debian or Mint OS.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bogdanw

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
i don't know... i use the MB for Mail, Web-Browsing (News, YouTube, Twicht, Amazon...) i only surf on sites i mostly trust
That's the way to go. Are people now having paranoia injected in their veins by also paranoid users that believe cruising the Net is safer with a 2 days patch and patch again in 5 days and again in 10 days? Don't use a computer, a phone and wifi and stay in 1976 then. This paranoid view is getting out of control.

Last edited:

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
You are safe. Just don't go to shady sites and that's all. Use an updated browser as Chrome or Firefox and you will be fine.

Reactions: AAPLGeek

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
No software is 100% secure. ALL software has vulnerabilities that haven't been found. Yes, even the "latest" Chrome. In some cases the developers are aware but haven't created a patch or fix yet.

Windows 7 is still extremely popular, hasn't been patched for home users in 4 years. I haven't heard of any exploits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.