Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
What do you think?

I still have the first generation iPhone SE and I'm looking for a small iPhone. The closest that comes to this is the 13 mini, it's barely larger than my current SE.

But it's already a few years old, the chip isn't the newest either. What do you think for how long will it receive updates?

I was hoping Apple would release a new phone of this format, but most people say it's not likely at this point.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
No one knows for sure, and anything you might see on here is just a guess, although it could be an educated guess.

Another thing, you should probably clarify what you mean by "receive updates", as terms like that and "support" can mean different things depending on the context.

For example, receiving updates could mean able to download the newest iOS or it could mean being able to download an update that fixes a bug, or just a security update.

"Support" can also mean the same thing as "receiving updates", but could also include supporting HW, such as parts and repairs.

In your case, you are talking about the former, but if you go searching for an answer in other threads, it is important to understand the context of what the post is talking about.

Another thing, I don't think that Apple ever announces when an particular iPhone will stop getting updates (not counting new iOS support), it either happens or it doesn't.

Another thing to think about is that the chip used in the 13 Mini is still being used in devices that are currently sold. Apple often supports the chip, not necessarily the the year something is launched or is discontinued.

For example, the 5s (A7 chip), which was released 10 years ago got a security update earlier this year. The 5s was discontinued seven years prior to the security update. The 5c (A6 chip)was launched the same year as the 5s, but its last update was four years earlier than the 5s. The last 5c update was a minor GPS related update, and it was discontinued five years prior to this update.

So, there isn't exactly a set method used by Apple. With the A15 still being used in devices sold, and probably will be for a while, this could make the 13 Mini continue to get security updates for a long, long time.

MacWorld just had a decent article from a few days ago explaining how long to expect updates and support on iPhones.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
No one knows for sure, and anything you might see on here is just a guess, although it could be an educated guess.

Another thing, you should probably clarify what you mean by "receive updates", as terms like that and "support" can mean different things depending on the context.

For example, receiving updates could mean able to download the newest iOS or it could mean being able to download an update that fixes a bug, or just a security update.

"Support" can also mean the same thing as "receiving updates", but could also include supporting HW, such as parts and repairs.

In your case, you are talking about the former, but if you go searching for an answer in other threads, it is important to understand the context of what the post is talking about.

Another thing, I don't think that Apple ever announces when an particular iPhone will stop getting updates (not counting new iOS support), it either happens or it doesn't.

Another thing to think about is that the chip used in the 13 Mini is still being used in devices that are currently sold. Apple often supports the chip, not necessarily the the year something is launched or is discontinued.

For example, the 5s (A7 chip), which was released 10 years ago got a security update earlier this year. The 5s was discontinued seven years prior to the security update. The 5c (A6 chip)was launched the same year as the 5s, but its last update was four years earlier than the 5s. The last 5c update was a minor GPS related update, and it was discontinued five years prior to this update.

So, there isn't exactly a set method used by Apple. With the A15 still being used in devices sold, and probably will be for a while, this could make the 13 Mini continue to get security updates for a long, long time.

MacWorld just had a decent article from a few days ago explaining how long to expect updates and support on iPhones.

Thanks, that was very insightful! I wanted to get the latest and best hardware, but it needs to be a phone with the size of the 13 mini. Since there doesn't seem to be such a phone coming anytime soon, but I need to upgrade my first gen iPhone SE, I guess I will get the 13 mini now - it is not too late yet to get it. Although it isn't the latest and best by far anymore.

Reactions: sack_peak

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
but it needs to be a phone with the size of the 13 mini.
I am in the same position, although I already made the switch the the 13 Mini 1.5 years ago. The phones are just too big now. Back in 2015, I went from a 5s to 6s Plus, and regretted it. It was the only iPhone that I end up selling.

It was just too big. Didn't fit in some of my pockets, and no where to store it in my older cars due to the size. Using it one handed was impossible.

My wife ended up getting a SE1 when they launched and I put an Otterbox Defender case on it because she kept cracking the screens on her prior iPhones. When I was putting the phone in the case, I was a little envious of what most people would consider a downgrade in phone compared to my 6s Plus. It was so small, so light, I can reach the whole screen one handed. I would have bought an SE1 right away, but the largest storage at the time of its launch was only 64GB and I didn't want to drop from the 128GB on my 6s Plus. Later in 2017, a 128GB version of it came out, and I purchased it as soon as it was released, and sold the giant 6s Plus.

Now, all the iPhones are big, and I may eventually get a larger phone, but until then, I will stick with my 13 Mini.

With the 13 Mini being discontinued and no other small iPhone rumored to be coming, I was thinking of picking up a back up 13 Mini.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Foe example, 5s (A7 chip), which was released 10 years ago got a security update earlier this year. The 5s was discontinued seven years prior to the security update. The 5c (A6 chip)was launched the same year as the 5s, but its last update was four years earlier than the 5s. The last 5c update was a minor GPS related update, and it was discontinued five years prior to this update.
It was the iPhone 5 that received the iOS 10.3.4 update while iPhone 5c was stuck on iOS 10.3.3

Having the same chip does not necessarily mean they will have the same length of support (updates)... Just look at A9 and A10 iPhones and iPads...

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It was the iPhone 5 that received the iOS 10.3.4 update while iPhone 5c was stuck on iOS 10.3.3

Having the same chip does not necessarily mean they will have the same length of support (updates)... Just look at A9 and A10 iPhones and iPads...

To be fair, the GPS rollover update that iPhone 5 received does not affect iPhone 5C because the 5C uses a newer stepping of the Qualcomm baseband.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
My mistake, the 5c stopped getting updates even sooner, which even more illustrates my example of how release year doesn't necessarily means something will be supported sooner or longer, and the fact that it is basically impossible for anyone on here to determine how long Apple still support something.

Discontinue date is probably a better predictor than launch date, but still not a good one.

I think HW is probably the best predictor, but still examples of similar HW having different support end dates, like you mentioned here:
Also true, it isn't even close to a perfect science, but I think the chip is probably a good predictor of how long something will continue to get updates than release year, which was my point of comparing the 5c and 5s.

Although, I guess again it isn't a perfect example, because the A8X in the iPad Air 2 was getting updates for a long time, but the A8X was only in the iPad Air 2.

Besides chips, there could be other HW factors in play, such as RAM and storage size. Apple may feel that there isn't enough storage to accommodate the newer OS size or enough RAM for it to perform that well.

Maybe even display and resolution size as well.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Op if you want a small iphone, then the 13 mini or SE3 are the smallest phones you can get (both have same, still very powerful A15 chip). There is no other small iphone on the horizon, or rumoured for the future. 13 mini is more modern but discontinued although still available on Amazon etc while stocks last. Grab one while you can which should get updates for next 4-5 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.