Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
How long do you guys think the iPhone 8 will be supported,updated and running fast?
Do you think Apple will try to stop supporting it earlier to phase out the home button completely?
Maybe IOS 15 or 16?
I was debating between the 8 and XS but I want the 8 to last for awhile. (future proof)
I understand that nobody really knows for sure but If anyone can give any educated guess it would be appreciated!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have an iPhone 6s+ running iOS 9.0.2. Still fast.

It's a launch weekend phone and it's been over three years since I got it.

Still doing fine, never had any problems with it. If any of this tells you anything.

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
I have an iPhone 6s+ running iOS 9.0.2. Still fast.

It's a launch weekend phone and it's been over three years since I got it.

Still doing fine, never had any problems with it. If any of this tells you anything.
Why not update to IOS 12?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Why not update to IOS 12?
I'm jailbroken on the second to last fully-untethered jailbreak. Not losing my jailbreak.

But aside from that, there isn't anything I do that has changed since 2009 with my first smartphone. And so far any apps I need still run in iOS 9. I've got an iPad on iOS 12.1 for anything else and an iPhone 5 on iOS 10.3.3.

So, really no need to update.

Reactions: Beeplance

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Depends on what they do with iOS. It could mysteriously be bogged down in a year or two.

Unless iOS 13 confirmed to be faster than iOS 12, I'll leave mine running the last version of iOS 12.

Reactions: Beeplance

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I also just picked up an 8 and I'm hoping it will continue to run great for a few years as I'm not the biggest fan on the current X series iPhones (maybe what they release in 2019 or 2020 will excite me a little more). Considering my 6s still ran great with iOS 12 (which is its 4th version of iOS) I'm optimistic that the 8 will continue to run well up to iOS 14 and beyond. Based on the support of the iPhone 5s, it's certainly possible that the 8 will be supported up to iOS 16, but whether it runs it well on later versions of iOS is a different question entirely. It's also hard to say what impact the rumored UI changes coming with iOS 13 will have on older devices and/or devices with home buttons.

Reactions: franzkfk

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Its likely that future versions of iOS will require much more powerful GPU performance for new eye candy. It's likely it'll require a more powerful "neural engine" to perform some questionable ai on all your files (that you can't turn off). So yeah,  will see to it that they design the iPhone 8 out of contention a few years from now. Maybe four. But you could drop your iPhone tomorrow, or today for that matter and destroy it- so I wouldn't worry about what's coming down the pipe three years from now.

Reactions: timeconsumer

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
The 8 runs iOS 12 like a dream. The phone will work flawlessly for minimum 4 years from now.

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
The 8 runs iOS 12 like a dream. The phone will work flawlessly for minimum 4 years from now.
You think so, I have this idea of Apple trying to phase out the home button quicker and force more people to get the all screen notch ones? what do you think?

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
My mother FINALLY upgraded her 5s earlier this year and got an 8. The phone functioned perfectly fine aside from needing a battery replacement and the fact that it was an 8gb device. I'm running an 8+ and haven't even considered looking at the newest phones, I'm really happy with it. I also have a work issued iPhone 7 and even that one works great, my only gripe with it is the size is smaller than I'm used to after having used the 8+ for an entire year.

My father is running my old 6s and it runs like a dream on iOS 12.

I think if they tried to phase out old phones and force people into buying newer models, it would be a big mistake and cost them customers. They've always supported legacy iPhones for a good number of years.

cinnabun814

Suspended
Apr 2, 2018
They're still supporting software updates on the 5 year old 5S and the 8 has the same chip as the iPhone X. I'd say another 5 years. It's as fast as a lot of laptops at 10130 geekbench and barely behind the XS and XS Max. It's pretty future proofed and it's a great phone

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
My mother FINALLY upgraded her 5s earlier this year and got an 8. The phone functioned perfectly fine aside from needing a battery replacement and the fact that it was an 8gb device. I'm running an 8+ and haven't even considered looking at the newest phones, I'm really happy with it. I also have a work issued iPhone 7 and even that one works great, my only gripe with it is the size is smaller than I'm used to after having used the 8+ for an entire year.

My father is running my old 6s and it runs like a dream on iOS 12.

I think if they tried to phase out old phones and force people into buying newer models, it would be a big mistake and cost them customers. They've always supported legacy iPhones for a good number of years.
Yeah the 5s did get IOS 12 which was extremely surprising, Im also thinking as time goes on that the app developers will want to design there apps for the X design so Future proof for the 7 and 8 is in question.
[doublepost=1542336107][/doublepost]
They're still supporting software updates on the 5 year old 5S and the 8 has the same chip as the iPhone X. I'd say another 5 years. It's as fast as a lot of laptops at 10130 geekbench and barely behind the XS and XS Max. It's pretty future proofed and it's a great phone
Wow I didnt know it was that fast, That's crazy!!!
So How long would the SE last at this point with an A9 chip?

cinnabun814

Suspended
Apr 2, 2018
The XS and XS Max are 11243 and the 8 is 10130 so yeah it's barely a difference!!! The SE is like having an iPhone 6S at 4149 so i'd say 2 more years? That sounds about right. The SE doesn't have much life left.

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
The XS and XS Max are 11243 and the 8 is 10130 so yeah it's barely a difference!!! The SE is like having an iPhone 6S at 4149 so i'd say 2 more years? That sounds about right. The SE doesn't have much life left.
Yeah I have the SE right now, That's why Im looking for a new iPhone, Its between the XS and 8, XR and XS Max way too big, one handed use is very important to me!

cinnabun814

Suspended
Apr 2, 2018
You can't go wrong with any of those.
Yeah I have the SE right now, That's why Im looking for a new iPhone, Its between the XS and 8, XR and XS Max way too big, one handed use is very important to me!

8. I agree with raythepa
[doublepost=1542336871][/doublepost]Apple has refurbed 8's for $499. Refurbs are apples hidden secret. They replace the outer shell and battery and test every individual thing. They're just like new. My MacBook Pro Retina and iPad are apple refurbs and they're just like new with a white box.

Reactions: raythepa

cinnabun814

Suspended
Apr 2, 2018
Bestbuy but it'd be $749 instead of $599 through apple. Crock of S if you ask me!!! I just looked.

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Bestbuy but it'd be $749 instead of $599 through apple. Crock of S if you ask me!!! I just looked.
The color aint worth 150 dollars, jeez, yeah too bad apple didn't keep them in the lineup, they could have sold more of them! Its really nice looking though

cinnabun814

Suspended
Apr 2, 2018
Keep an eye out for an apple refurb though. Follow this link and read the "discover what goes into each refurb iPhone." Like I said it's apples best kept secret. I could be a millionaire and only buy refurbs. Never had to return anything or exchange anything. They're just like new and it's $499! You might see a red one pop in there too.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/iphone/iphone-8

Reactions: raythepa

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Keep an eye out for an apple refurb though. Follow this link and read the "discover what goes into each refurb iPhone." Like I said it's apples best kept secret. I could be a millionaire and only buy refurbs. Never had to return anything or exchange anything. They're just like new and it's $499! You might see a red one pop in there too.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/iphone/iphone-8
I think id rather buy it new, who knows how the refurbished would last long term? only 100 less

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.