Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you keeping your 12,9"?

• Yes

Votes: 166 79.4%
  • No

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Maybe, please comment why :-)

Votes: 19 9.1%

• Total voters

puke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Sweden
Hi friends,

There are a ton of threads with people sending theirs back because of a few different reasons, there are also quite a few who like theirs.

Out of curiosity... I like statistics...

puke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Sweden
Usually people who are not satisfied with their devices are more vocal than the ones without problems. Why bother to start a thread if you don’t have any problem with the iPad?
I have not even recieved mine yet. I'm more curious since the more you hang here and pretty much only seeing people sending back theirs the more worried you get. Bet i'm not alone feeling this way. Maybe this Forum shouldnt be visited much until you've seen it in person?

Reactions: G5isAlive

Mindfighter

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2020
Why wouldn't we keep it? I've always liked the iPad and this latest one is the greatest one yet, of course I'm happy with it. Got the 8GB ram one btw, still hope:ing for great improvments with iPadOS 15 and ProApps during WWDC which will include the 8GB ones as well of course seeing how the majority of sold Macs are also 8GB ones.

Lukomaldini

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
I have not even recieved mine yet. I'm more curious since the more you hang here and pretty much only seeing people sending back theirs the more worried you get. Bet i'm not alone feeling this way. Maybe this Forum shouldnt be visited much until you've seen it in person?
I got mine on release day and I’m very happy with it! I was coming from a 13inch mbp so the upgrade for me was massive! I did a comparison between displays and once you see it you just can’t go back. Really really good! Despite some of the blooming (it is there, but in 99% of the cases you really have to look for it) the big advantage is the HDR. It’s incredible viewing HDR content. I think it’s very well future proofed to be honest.

this picture is from a test I did with my 13inch. I maxed the brightness on both but the picture probably add more of a washed out look on the Mac but in real life I would would say it’s like 10-15% better but still very noticeable. There is no way in hell I’m sending this iPad back. Really love the display, 120hz, higher res etc

NOTE: the pictures are straight from the iPhone (12), no editing

Attachments

• AAB58110-0F14-4929-BD61-B5823A094B95.jpeg
    AAB58110-0F14-4929-BD61-B5823A094B95.jpeg
    431 KB · Views: 202
  • 0D75D6C5-7790-4244-AD43-D9950086892F.jpeg
    0D75D6C5-7790-4244-AD43-D9950086892F.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 200

tsa1

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2008
Leaning to keeping it. I purchased from Costco so I have 3 months (or longer to decide). The m1 is overkill for iPadOS but the way the iPad marketing chief dodged all of Brian Tong’s questions related to WWDC makes me think Apple has something big coming at least for iPad.

mini-led has been working great. Screen is top notch with black levels. Haven’t tried too much HDR content, yet. Rather deal with some blooming than grey blacks.

Honestly at this point apple just makes iPadOS a modified os11.

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
I am also in 2 minds whether to keep it or not, need to see if my battery life improves.

If it does then I'll keep an eye on WWDC, if we see 'Pro' apps, then I'll make a decision :)

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
I was happy with it until I had to return it because the screen was messed up. Now I’m waiting at least two more weeks without one and I’m not happy about it. I just want my freaking iPad. You can’t even spend $1,000+ and get a non-defective product these days apparently.

Reactions: SalisburySam

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I upgraded from the 10.5” ipad pro and I have to say at first the bulk of the 12.9” was a bit much to deal with but after my first week IM get use to the size and weight. I will be keeping it and will be sending in my old 10.5” for the trade in credit.

Reactions: runebinder

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I love mine, it is a great screen, very fast, and amazingly compact … to me, coming from a generation one.

the battery life doesn’t seem bad to me.

I am feeling nervous as this is the first iPad (I’ve had 8) that I haven’t put a screen protector on. Trying it out. I’m half in the why buy such a great screen and then put cheap glass or plastic on it camp, and half in the cover it up immediately before anything happens camp.

my gen one iPad is still working,so this was a luxurious purchase. I did it because I believe that with the M1 chip it is the beginning of a new era for iPads and some interesting software will appear soon. It will be weird if it doesn’t, all this power and RAM wasted!

I think it is a brilliant design in every way.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I’m very happy with mine.
- The blooming issue is only an ”issue” under dark conditions and even then only on the UI elements, which I think they can mitigate with an update. (I could see it being an issue for people that read a lot in dark mode at night though)
- the “shadow” on the edge is even less of an issue
- the battery life is ok, not great under very bright conditions but that was already the case with my 2020 model

Overall very happy and will be keeping it for sure

hammie14

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
UK
I love mine, it is a great screen, very fast, and amazingly compact … to me, coming from a generation one.

the battery life doesn’t seem bad to me.

I am feeling nervous as this is the first iPad (I’ve had 8) that I haven’t put a screen protector on. Trying it out. I’m half in the why buy such a great screen and then put cheap glass or plastic on it camp, and half in the cover it up immediately before anything happens camp.

my gen one iPad is still working,so this was a luxurious purchase. I did it because I believe that with the M1 chip it is the beginning of a new era for iPads and some interesting software will appear soon. It will be weird if it doesn’t, all this power and RAM wasted!

I think it is a brilliant design in every way.

I was the same until i see my wife’s screen she has a 2018 iPP and she uses the pencil a lot and there are lots of little marks nothing major at all but you really have to look for them. So i thought i not spending £1299 on something that may get marked. So i got myself a screen protector installed it and now don‘t notice its on. There is no different in screen quality at all.

I’m not saying get a screen protector not I don’t see a different with or without it, so thought I would protect it just to be on the staff side.

BTW I’m super happy with my iPP 12.9, i switched the battery % off and the battery seems to last longer as I’m not worried about it going down now. Yesterday with good usage web stuffing, viewing images, games, Netflix and Disney plus managed 9hours and 3 mins and it still had 10% left!

shootertwist14

macrumors member
May 2, 2016
Coming from last year’s ipad pro 12.9, glad i made the change, the screen is great, fast at everything haha this surprised me - the smoothness of everything from transitions to opening of apps since the 2020 version was more than capable. No stutter or any lag whatsoever, just like my m1 macbook pro. This apple chip is really something. The blooming issue, like anything from apple, is blown out of proportion. I showed it to some officemates who are not aware of the blooming thing and could not find it, same in my case even if i knew it… turns out it takes a special scenario To see it, and even then i could hardly detect it and I am OC with these stuff … photos on the web are really not what they look like in person. Glad i did not hesitate, first time i got a new release ipad in just less than a week since it was available.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Had to return mine due to imperfections on the rear of the device, and personally didn’t like the border shadow at all… will wait now until WWDC before I decide between that and a MacBook…

iMacPad

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2021
i ordered a replacement because the first unit makes noises when being pushed. it’s like the casing is not tightly attached to the internal parts. ?‍♂️ apart from that i am very happy with it.

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
Love mine- I got both the 12.9 and the 11. There is no edge shadow on mine and the blooming is only visible in certain situations and isn’t too bothersome. The screen is incredibly bright and I only keep it around the 50% mark.

I don’t have a laptop and really hope Apple delivers at WWDC.

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Love mine- I got both the 12.9 and the 11. There is no edge shadow on mine and the blooming is only visible in certain situations and isn’t too bothersome. The screen is incredibly bright and I only keep it around the 50% mark.

I don’t have a laptop and really hope Apple delivers at WWDC.

You don't have the shadow? hmmm strange, you must have 10500 LED's then ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.