Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
Just curious how many people are putting their trust into smart locks. Personally, I'm waiting for this technology to evolve before using it, I can deal with a buggy (or hackable) light bulb or smart plug but not an entry into my home, just not yet anyway.

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
Have there been reports of smart locks being hacked a lot? As in, someone with a smartphone is fairly easily able to download some program to walk up to any random house to see if it has a smart lock and then break in? Most of the newer ones just change the turnkey on the inside. It's no easier to pick than before, and you can't tell. As for some like the schlage connected locks with keypads have been around for even longer than the recent wave of august locks, or kevos... they just used a different protocol like zigbee/z-wave. I have relatives who have door locks connected to their alarm system for years now and haven't heard complaints from them.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
Well, my concern is that it can be hacked, not that I've heard of it yet but it's still pretty new technology. It may be fine for when nobody is home but wouldn't trust my family to it alone, at least without some other manual lock.

Reactions: Arran

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
And given the ease with which most locks can be picked, it's not clear how much sleep one should lose over potential smart-lock vulnerabilities :)

A.
True, although I use an inside latch like they have in hotels. Any of them can be picked I'm sure but why add another variable to the mix?

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
And given the ease with which most locks can be picked, it's not clear how much sleep one should lose over potential smart-lock vulnerabilities :)

A.

But most of them have key overrides anyway. All the "smart" capability does is introduce a new attack vector where previously there was none, while retaining all the vulnerability of a regular lock. It's a lot easier to download a payload on the internet than to learn how to pick a physical lock.

Reactions: Arran and ericgtr12

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Any of them can be picked I'm sure but why add another variable to the mix?

It's a lot easier to download a payload on the internet than to learn how to pick a physical lock.

I understand, and in principle I agree. On the other hand, I think a clever ten-year-old with a paperclip can pick most locks after browsing the Internet for 15 minutes. So, as I said initially, it's just not clear how much sleep one should lose over smart-locks.

A.

addendum: After some thought, I suspect that unless you are being specifically targeted, your real-world intruder is going to notice your smart-lock right after he breaks in by picking the lock the old fashioned way.

Last edited:

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
But most of them have key overrides anyway. All the "smart" capability does is introduce a new attack vector where previously there was none, while retaining all the vulnerability of a regular lock. It's a lot easier to download a payload on the internet than to learn how to pick a physical lock.
It would likely need regular patches to stay secured, cool for my phone or laptop but I wouldn't want to worry about it with my physical lock.

I hate to put this down because I think it's another home automated system destined to be on everyone's homes some day, I just want to see it evolve before using it.

Reactions: Arran

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
I understand, and in principle I agree. On the other hand, I think a clever ten-year-old with a paperclip can pick most locks after browsing the Internet for 15 minutes. So, as I said initially, it's just not clear how much sleep one should lose over smart-locks.

A.

addendum: After some thought, I suspect that unless you are being specifically targeted, your real-world intruder is going to notice your smart-lock right after he breaks in by picking the lock the old fashioned way.
This is how I feel about them. You're no more/less safe with or without a smart lock. If someone wants in, it would be even easier to just break a window. Someone casing the place would know to break in when you're not home anyways, in which case, it doesn't matter what type of lock you have. I don't find it'll happen soon where there'll be "thieves" roaming your block trying to see who has a smart lock that they can easily hack into with their smartphone. Someone who does already know you have a specific brand smart lock to come prepared... well he already knows your schedule so no one would be home during the break-in anyways.

Smart locks seem more about convenience really. Everyone would still carry a key with their car keys just in case. Similar to how there are always still light switches to control smart lights in case the phone isn't around or acts up.

As for the manual latch inside, like the hotel style ones... you can only use those when you're home anyways. That extra security you're wanting for when you and your family are home won't be any different with a smart lock. You'll still be latching it before you go to bed. Actually, hotels is a good question too. A lot of them now just use electronic locks. So when you and your family are out seeing the sights, the only thing protecting your stuff is the one electronic lock. That would seem an ideal place for a hacking thief as all the locks are the same type, but most people don't even really worry about it.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
This is how I feel about them. You're no more/less safe with or without a smart lock. If someone wants in, it would be even easier to just break a window. Someone casing the place would know to break in when you're not home anyways, in which case, it doesn't matter what type of lock you have. I don't find it'll happen soon where there'll be "thieves" roaming your block trying to see who has a smart lock that they can easily hack into with their smartphone. Someone who does already know you have a specific brand smart lock to come prepared... well he already knows your schedule so no one would be home during the break-in anyways.

Smart locks seem more about convenience really. Everyone would still carry a key with their car keys just in case. Similar to how there are always still light switches to control smart lights in case the phone isn't around or acts up.

As for the manual latch inside, like the hotel style ones... you can only use those when you're home anyways. That extra security you're wanting for when you and your family are home won't be any different with a smart lock. You'll still be latching it before you go to bed. Actually, hotels is a good question too. A lot of them now just use electronic locks. So when you and your family are out seeing the sights, the only thing protecting your stuff is the one electronic lock. That would seem an ideal place for a hacking thief as all the locks are the same type, but most people don't even really worry about it.
Exactly, when I (and my family) are away I do not worry about it so much.

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
Most of the locks that are HomeKit enabled are Bluetooth so they are not connected to the internet all the time. So an attacker would have to be right near your house to be able to access it.

Reactions: robnbill

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Locks are only intended to keep out a casual thief or opportunist. Anyone determined to break in will not be reliant on 'hacking' or be deterred by a 'traditional' lock. Fearing smart locks security is misplaced fear a lot like fearing air flight more than driving or terrorism more than random violence.

Reactions: wlossw and rbrian

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Anyone know of a case where a smart lock was hacked, items stolen and insurance still paid out - even without signs of forced entry?

Just trying to figure out the insurers position on smart locks?

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
Anyone know of a case where a smart lock was hacked, items stolen and insurance still paid out - even without signs of forced entry?

Just trying to figure out the insurers position on smart locks?
very good point! if I could get them in the UK I would, but I'd think I'd run over with my insurers first before I bought it.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have Internet-connected smart locks on my house and I'm not concerned. I have Kwikset locks connected via Z-Wave to my Wink system. Granted, I have an independent alarm system that is not connected to Wink, so even if someone were able to hack my Wink and unlock the door, they'd still have a separate monitored alarm system to defeat. And two dogs. And they'll be on camera.

Besides, it's far simpler to kick the door in or break a window than hack the door lock. Though any action should the house be unoccupied or if we're asleep of course would trigger the alarm and summon the police.

Even if they cut the Internet to the house, the alarm has a cellular backup.

Having internet connected door locks has not diminished the safety of my home at all, but instead increases the convenience factor for me and my family. For example, a couple of taps on my Apple Watch from down the street will raise the garage door, unlock the entry, turn on the entry lights and kitchen lights, then trigger a door re-lock action 15 minutes later.

Reactions: amjustice

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Plot Twist: You're a thief and you're waiting to see who replies so that you can find their IP then hack their locks.

I'm not concerned at all for the reasons stated above. It's easier to pick a lock than it is to hack into an electronic one. I have an August and I have yet to hear about any hacking stories.

The one thing I'm concerned about is getting locked out. I've gotten so used to my door unlocking automatically as I arrive home that often I don't carry a key at all. I once took my iPhone into a Genius appointment to get checked out and they ended up just giving me a new iPhone. As I was walking home, I realized that my new phone wasn't paired with the August lock. Lucky for me, I was able to pair it from the outside and found out that I need my own iPhone to receive an SMS with a pairing authorization code. So if I lose my iPhone, I can't pair a friend's phone to it. August has since fixed this by allowing you to use their website to report your iPhone as stolen/lost and it'll let you pair it to a new iPhone. That right there is a hacking vector. They'd still need to figure out your password but nothing that an old fashioned computer hacking job can't get them.

I'm still not worried.

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
Plot Twist: You're a thief and you're waiting to see who replies so that you can find their IP then hack their locks.

I'm not concerned at all for the reasons stated above. It's easier to pick a lock than it is to hack into an electronic one. I have an August and I have yet to hear about any hacking stories.

The one thing I'm concerned about is getting locked out. I've gotten so used to my door unlocking automatically as I arrive home that often I don't carry a key at all. I once took my iPhone into a Genius appointment to get checked out and they ended up just giving me a new iPhone. As I was walking home, I realized that my new phone wasn't paired with the August lock. Lucky for me, I was able to pair it from the outside and found out that I need my own iPhone to receive an SMS with a pairing authorization code. So if I lose my iPhone, I can't pair a friend's phone to it. August has since fixed this by allowing you to use their website to report your iPhone as stolen/lost and it'll let you pair it to a new iPhone. That right there is a hacking vector. They'd still need to figure out your password but nothing that an old fashioned computer hacking job can't get them.

I'm still not worried.

Oh I have a story there.... When we were first testing out our august on our garage door we came home to a door that would not open. Neither my wife nor I had any keys and we could hear the august turning the lock but the full deadbolt was not disengaging. We ended up getting in but it was not a pleasant situation or a win in the wife column for smart locks. Suffice to say the Schlage sense we use now is much more friendly and does not have these types of issues. I don't think our back door sits right so that caused it not to work right with the August.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Oh I have a story there.... When we were first testing out our august on our garage door we came home to a door that would not open. Neither my wife nor I had any keys and we could hear the august turning the lock but the full deadbolt was not disengaging. We ended up getting in but it was not a pleasant situation or a win in the wife column for smart locks. Suffice to say the Schlage sense we use now is much more friendly and does not have these types of issues. I don't think our back door sits right so that caused it not to work right with the August.

Yeah, I fear those scenarios too. But in terms of safety, not an issue. It'd be much easier to break a traditional lock than to try to hack into one of these things. The added convenience is a huge plus. I'm still waiting for the day when there's a HomeKit solution that works like some of the current Bluetooth solutions where you can assign a different keycode for different users - and one that works with my doors!

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
Yeah, I fear those scenarios too. But in terms of safety, not an issue. It'd be much easier to break a traditional lock than to try to hack into one of these things. The added convenience is a huge plus. I'm still waiting for the day when there's a HomeKit solution that works like some of the current Bluetooth solutions where you can assign a different keycode for different users - and one that works with my doors!

This is something thats nice about the Schlage lock is that the backup from the BLE is the manual keypad. So even if the smart phone option doesn't work that is very reliable and works even if power is out.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON

August has a keypad too.
smart-keypad-desktop-front.jpg

You assign a PIN to each member of your family if they don't have smartphones (i.e. grandma, kids) and you can manage those access codes to enable access on certain days or times or revoke it altogether (the babysitter you just fired).

I ordered a keypad to put outside my door to put an end battery anxiety.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Is everyone forgetting the number of homes secured by nothing more than a garage door remote for the past few decades?

I'm not worried about electronic locks. If you are concerned about break-ins, you need a security system with monitoring.

Reactions: LiveM and heehee

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
August has a keypad too.
smart-keypad-desktop-front.jpg

You assign a PIN to each member of your family if they don't have smartphones (i.e. grandma, kids) and you can manage those access codes to enable access on certain days or times or revoke it altogether (the babysitter you just fired).

I ordered a keypad to put outside my door to put an end battery anxiety.
I'd like to get this as well. I also like that you can quickly lock the door by just pressing the 'a' button when you leave

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
I'm using the Schlage Sense and one thing I was pretty happy about was the auto lock feature. I have a 14 yr old daughter and she takes the bus home to my house from school every day. Some days her mom picks her up (we're divorced) and I noticed on the lock's log (on my phone) that she left the house and didn't lock the door behind her. The lock is set to auto lock after a short amount of time so even if she forgets to lock the door behind her I know the house will be locked up.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
I'm using the Schlage Sense and one thing I was pretty happy about was the auto lock feature. I have a 14 yr old daughter and she takes the bus home to my house from school every day. Some days her mom picks her up (we're divorced) and I noticed on the lock's log (on my phone) that she left the house and didn't lock the door behind her. The lock is set to auto lock after a short amount of time so even if she forgets to lock the door behind her I know the house will be locked up.
How are you finding the battery life? I've seen a lot of complaints from reviewers about it, seeing how it requires a bit of force to turn I can see that though.

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
How are you finding the battery life? I've seen a lot of complaints from reviewers about it, seeing how it requires a bit of force to turn I can see that though.
I have it as well and haven't had any battery issues. I believe it should last upwards of a year based on what I read. Im a big fan though in general it works well.

Reactions: ericgtr12
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.