Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssj92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2022
East Bay, CA
I'm recording Nikon Z9/Z8 8K HEVC and my 10-Core iMac Pro and previously 12-Core cMP cannot playback/edit smoothly even with a RX6800 GPU.

Was wondering if anyone here with 12, 16, 24, 28-core Mac Pros or even 18-Core iMac Pro can tell me if they can smoothly playback 8K HEVC from Nikon Z9/Z8.

My M1 16" macbook pro can of course playback fine. I've seen some people here say they can playback RED & Canon HEVC.

Here's the video, please download it and open in quicktime: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f4hEmFCdv_Om8sJvU8Slwhadthj62VEj/view?usp=sharing

Here's how it plays back on my 10-core iMac Pro: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fcUoFUHsmDFcsdCL1pBjzYtUxvuyytGI/view?usp=sharing

Tried asking here but it seems the Mac Pro section is built different :cool::

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
Ok, We did a file like this a year ago, but results are quick time it jumps a bit, this is with Mac pro in sig. but on the same mac pro in windows 11 using Pot player, the best player for 8k video its smooth as silk, so if you dual boot your mac with windows. Try pot player, its free and is super smooth.

shame they don't do an OSX version of pot player.

ssj92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2022
East Bay, CA
Ok, We did a file like this a year ago, but results are quick time it jumps a bit, this is with Mac pro in sig. but on the same mac pro in windows 11 using Pot player, the best player for 8k video its smooth as silk, so if you dual boot your mac with windows. Try pot player, its free and is super smooth.

shame they don't do an OSX version of pot player.
So even your 16c Mac Pro cannot play the file perfectly in macOS? Does it play better than my iMac Pro from the screen recording?

I need to play smoothly for final cut pro x video editing. If quicktime cannot be smooth then FCPX will not be smooth.

iMac Pro and even cMP 5,1 with RX 6800 can play the files fine in Windows so the issue is macOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.