Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
I have updated the firmware in my MP1,1 to 2,1 in prep to upgrade the procs to 2x X5365.
I had already done the 64b firmware and installed an SSD, Mavs and a upgraded video card.
Is it possible to mount more than 4 drives in the MP1,1?
What is the largest single drive this update will recognize?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I have updated the firmware in my MP1,1 to 2,1 in prep to upgrade the procs to 2x X5365.
I had already done the 64b firmware and installed an SSD, Mavs and a upgraded video card.
Is it possible to mount more than 4 drives in the MP1,1?
What is the largest single drive this update will recognize?
According to #1 , the MacPro1,1 has 6 SATA ports (4 drive bays plus two ODD ports) and 2 PATA ports.
You could probably use the 2 extra SATA ports. You just need to get some SATA data cables and split SATA power from one of the 4 drive bays.

I think the 2 extra SATA ports are under the fan, so you need a 90 degree left or right angle (not sure which - find a photo) 7 pin SATA data cable.

Here's a video:
The video shows one cable is straight and the other is right angle. Maybe you should get the same or get one left angle and one right angle.

I don't think there's a limit to the hard drive size. There exist 14 TB drives.
https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/mac-pro-4-core-mid-2006-3.0-ghz/InternalDrives?&sort.price=desc

You just need a place to put the extra drives. Find some adapters, carriers, adhesives, or other methods that can do the job.

There exist PATA to SATA adapters (if you want to install SATA devices in the DVD drive bays), but I don't know how well they work.
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Addonics/ADSAIDE/

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
probably eight, 6 sata drives and 2 ide if you can still buy them (you can) :) oh , actually more if you put some on cards in the pcie slots...

flang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
cool. Thanks for the linkage too.

I'm thinking moving 2 dinky OEM drives (one from my former G5, one from the 1,1 - coz I doubt I could give them away) to the space for the 2nd opto drive and putting NOS 2T in slots 3 and 4.
Cheap and make the (now) 2,1 do double duty as a ProTools 10 worker and media server for Emby.
I have way too much media. Though I'm pretty sure an additional 4T will do me a while.... I hope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.