Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
and how are you faring with it? Mine is currently on iOS 12 and has not been used in a while.

I feel like trying out iOS 14 and am tempted with all the new features and improvements it brings (e.g. quicker camera launch).

In particular, are you noticing a slowdown of your phone after the upgrade? Notwithstanding the aftermath of battery-gate, I am assuming there will be some drop in performance while running the latest iOS on an old iPhone 7.

Do also specify if you erased and freshly installed all apps after upgrading to iOS 14.

Thanks!

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I have a 7+ that I keep around as a spare in case one of our other phones give out. I did upgrade it to iOS 14, and yes, it's slow compared to my 8 and my wife's 11. I recently had Apple put a new battery in it. It was a lot faster when running iOS 12 and 13. And it was a fresh install of apps after upgrading.

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
My current iPhone is a 7, it works really well on iOS 14. If you have performance issues, I suspect it is because of the battery which should be replaced. I kept my 7 for 4 years, and got my battery replaced for free in Apple Store 2 years after the purchase (in EU warranty is 2 years :cool:). So I never faced degraded battery / perf on my side.

I will still upgrade this year for a 12 but it's for other things than just raw performance (even if more is better haha) such as new form factor, OLED, bigger screen, better photo, battery and future proofing

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
iOS 14 seems to have the same performance as iOS 13 to me. More or less same speed as iOS 12 when doing side by side comparisons. A bit more erratic behavior than iOS 12 due to 2GB RAM (e.g. Safari becoming unresponsive when there are a lot of things open, etc).

One gripe, there's an issue with USB tethering and Linux on iOS 14. It's good that I only upgraded the iPhone 7 first (backup) and not the SE2 (daily driver). Keeping the SE2 on iOS 13.7 until that's fixed.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
I do have iOS 14 on my Jet Black iPhone 7 and iOS 13 on mat black iPhone 7 Plus and iOS 12 on silver iPhone 7.

Overall, iOS 14 runs great on iOS 14. However, I do notice some erratic behaviors. Sometimes, camera will lock up and whole phone slow down to craw. Sometimes, keyboard will lag very badly. And sometimes, apps will crash. However, these issue doesn’t occur frequently.

And yes, I did clean install iOS 14 without restore from back up.

kanga1622

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
My 7+ is my only phone. I didn't notice any slow down of the phone after upgrading to iOS 14. My battery life seemed a little worse but stabilized again with 14.0.1.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Don't see any reason to install iOS 14 until *at least* 14.2. Mail aliases matter a *lot* to me, and email has to work correctly. While the current claim is that the bug therein is fixed in the beta, I don't install beta software on production hardware either.

Looking at the iOS 14 feature list, there's nothing there to care about particularly. In any case, it's all about avoidance of bugs.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
My current iPhone is a 7, it works really well on iOS 14. If you have performance issues, I suspect it is because of the battery which should be replaced. I kept my 7 for 4 years, and got my battery replaced for free in Apple Store 2 years after the purchase (in EU warranty is 2 years :cool:). So I never faced degraded battery / perf on my side.

I will still upgrade this year for a 12 but it's for other things than just raw performance (even if more is better haha) such as new form factor, OLED, bigger screen, better photo, battery and future proofing
Good to hear that! I've used the 7 lightly and it's been lying unused for a while now. That means the battery health is decent at 94% after nearly 2 years of use (normal use for 1.2 years and after that occasional use for photos/videos).
Going by your experience mine should be okay on iOS 14. I will erase it and install app afresh after I upgrade.
How would you compare the overall performance on iOS 14 with earlier versions you may have used (12 and 13)?

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I do have iOS 14 on my Jet Black iPhone 7 and iOS 13 on mat black iPhone 7 Plus and iOS 12 on silver iPhone 7.

Overall, iOS 14 runs great on iOS 14. However, I do notice some erratic behaviors. Sometimes, camera will lock up and whole phone slow down to craw. Sometimes, keyboard will lag very badly. And sometimes, apps will crash. However, these issue doesn’t occur frequently.

And yes, I did clean install iOS 14 without restore from back up.
That's interesting and definitely erratic. What is the battery condition?
I had heard of speed improvements with the camera app. Do you see these too?
Do you regret the upgrade in any way?
[automerge]1602333763[/automerge]
Don't see any reason to install iOS 14 until *at least* 14.2. Mail aliases matter a *lot* to me, and email has to work correctly. While the current claim is that the bug therein is fixed in the beta, I don't install beta software on production hardware either.

Looking at the iOS 14 feature list, there's nothing there to care about particularly. In any case, it's all about avoidance of bugs.
Yeah, stability is a big deal with me too. But what about the latest security updates?

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
That's interesting and definitely erratic. What is the battery condition?
I had heard of speed improvements with the camera app. Do you see these too?
Do you regret the upgrade in any way?

Battery health is at 89%. I have battery replaced once at Apple Store during cheap battery replacement program at end of 2018.

I don’t notice speed improvement with camera app. iOS 14 runs pretty great on iPhone 7 in general. It is mainly micro-shatter in animation and occasionally slow down

I don’t regret update to iOS 14.

bbedford59

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2020
and how are you faring with it? Mine is currently on iOS 12 and has not been used in a while.

I feel like trying out iOS 14 and am tempted with all the new features and improvements it brings (e.g. quicker camera launch).

In particular, are you noticing a slowdown of your phone after the upgrade? Notwithstanding the aftermath of battery-gate, I am assuming there will be some drop in performance while running the latest iOS on an old iPhone 7.

Do also specify if you erased and freshly installed all apps after upgrading to iOS 14.

Thanks!
My phone is 7+ w/256GB. For the most part, it is flawless, except for the delay in text appearing when starting to type a text message. I did not do any erasing... so, am I to assume that the normal app upgrade process won't handle all of the necessary fixes? I checked and apps are being updated regularly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.