Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subroutines

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2009
I'm curious how many people will buy the new Mac Pro. I have the M1 Max Mac Studio and was waiting for the M2 Mac Studio to upgrade to the M2 Ultra model, but the more I think about things, the more waiting for the Apple Silicon Mac Pro is the right choice. It comes down to price and performance, but I think that is the route I will take. It'll also free up my Mac Studio for other tasks. I spend most of my programming on the computer and running virtual machines in VMWare Fusion Pro 13.

What do you do, and why do you want the new Mac Pro?
Depends on how much it will cost.

subroutines

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2009
I think it's difficult to answer the question because we don't know the specifics about the new Mac Pro yet. I don't think Apple Silicon is ready to replace the Xeon + AMD setup yet. In 5 to 10 years? Yeah, possibly, but it's also possible the performance gap will increase between AS and x86 in the future (favoring x86). If that happens what will Apple do? Go back to x86 or discontinue Macs altogether and focus on iOS/iPadOS mobile devices?

Apple Silicon is a gamble and it's hard to say if Apple will win or lose rolling the dice. Seems like a pretty risky move for a big company. They're putting all their cards in one deck. They're betting on huge gains, but it could turn out to be huge losses.

I am no expert in this area so take it for what it is worth. But my guess that apple wants to unify the OS across all their devices for innovative(?) products in the future

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Depends on the configuration and price, but more likely not just because I'm usually hesitant to buy the first iteration of a new design. Especially since Apple has to prove they're committed to updating the line at a reasonable interval, I'm waiting for a rev 2.

Reactions: prefuse07

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
Depends on the configuration and price, but more likely not just because I'm usually hesitant to buy the first iteration of a new design. Especially since Apple has to prove they're committed to updating the line at a reasonable interval, I'm waiting for a rev 2.
Good point. Remember we had to wait 6 years before they relaunched the Mac Pro in its current form because they ultimately admitted to making a mistake with their "innovation" of the 6,1.

I'd imagine if the new 8,1 receives the same public sentiment, that it will take them years after to figure it out again.

I plan on holding onto my 7,1 for a while. I luckily bought it right when it was released, so at least I can benefit from maximizing the life of the computer, which it still has many years of.

Reactions: prefuse07

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Gee how many Mac Pro what if threads do we need??

Impossible to answer until we see it. IF the one thing remains, meaning upgradable stuff, this is the reason to get a MacPro, and Apple will gladly make this expensive to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.