Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
I'm migrating all my photos from Google Photos to iCloud. I've been using the Apple Photos app on my MacBook, but am realizing it uploads into iCloud at a downright Glacial pace. My "gigabit" internet connection is asymmetrical unfortunately, but I'm not getting anywhere near the 35mbps upload bandwidth I have available being used by Apple Photos.

I started wondering if maybe I should just use the iCloud Web UI and upload that way. I could go to my friend's house and use his Gigabit Fiber connection... which would only help if the WebUI allows for more upload bandwidth... and could take batches of 6k photos or so at a time at least.

Anyone done it this way? I assume once uploaded into iCloud, the images would sync back down to my Mac (optimize storage on).

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I'm migrating all my photos from Google Photos to iCloud. I've been using the Apple Photos app on my MacBook, but am realizing it uploads into iCloud at a downright Glacial pace. My "gigabit" internet connection is asymmetrical unfortunately, but I'm not getting anywhere near the 35mbps upload bandwidth I have available being used by Apple Photos.

I started wondering if maybe I should just use the iCloud Web UI and upload that way. I could go to my friend's house and use his Gigabit Fiber connection... which would only help if the WebUI allows for more upload bandwidth... and could take batches of 6k photos or so at a time at least.

Anyone done it this way? I assume once uploaded into iCloud, the images would sync back down to my Mac (optimize storage on).

Have a physical backup. ;)

It has been a while since I tried uploading this way - fyi, I have dropped iCloud as my photo backup. Too unstable.
Anyway, unless something has really changed, it is still slow and the up to iCloud > down to iDevices/MB became a real issue. I have tried both via MB and Windows.

Try a couple of smaller batches to get an idea of any benefit.

My cable speed is 40 Up / 400 Down (Spectrum).

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Have a physical backup. ;)

It has been a while since I tried uploading this way - fyi, I have dropped iCloud as my photo backup. Too unstable.
Anyway, unless something has really changed, it is still slow and the up to iCloud > down to iDevices/MB became a real issue. I have tried both via MB and Windows.

Try a couple of smaller batches to get an idea of any benefit.

My cable speed is 40 Up / 400 Down (Spectrum).
Just tried with an album with only 28 items each item being less than 1mb. Took about 1 minute...which is quite slow.

I have Spectrum as well with Gig Down / 35mbps up.

Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.