Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I thought it had two, but now amazon are saying one?

The specs page says "Built-in speaker" in the singular so I'd say Amazon is correct. Spec wise the kindle fire HD is superior, but I think overall the iPad mini is a better tablet.

FWIW, I rarely use my iPad with its speaker - almost always with some headphones on.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
I believe just one speaker, like the iPhones. I think the other grill is used for background noise reduction in conjunction with the mic at the top. Could be incorrect though.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
The physical speakers on a device like that should never be the selling point. Amazon is just trying to grab as much as they can before the iPad mini actually comes out. That's why they slapped together such a nonsensical campaign and boasted 3x sales without providing real numbers.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
The physical speakers on a device like that should never be the selling point. Amazon is just trying to grab as much as they can before the iPad mini actually comes out. That's why they slapped together such a nonsensical campaign and boasted 3x sales without providing real numbers.

Exactly! If someone thinks they're going to get great sound out of tiny speakers on any phone or tablet, they're sadly mistaken. Hooking them up to head phones or Bluetooth or other speakers is your best bet.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It's interesting...

The iPad Mini looks like it has stereo speakers based on its design, but doesn't. Whereas the Nexus 7 looks like it has mono speakers (one long speaker grill) but is actually stereo.

Kupp

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Massachusetts
I have a very nice set of Bluetooth speakers I use with my iPad 2, which will work just fine with the mini when I get one. So switching to a lightning connector won't inconvenience me at all.

lowlypeace

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Exactly! If someone thinks they're going to get great sound out of tiny speakers on any phone or tablet, they're sadly mistaken. Hooking them up to head phones or Bluetooth or other speakers is your best bet.

I don't expect earth moving bass, however the new iphone has a much improved bass and volume, sound is very important, and personally I like to use the idevice speakers when away from a computer, also for radio, so it is important that the speaks have a good volume throw and decent bass, if its double the iphone 5 speaker that will be pretty good.

Now we know it is two speaks thats great, hopfully it will lead to a good volume and bass - another thing the mini has over the 4, interesting

----------

You might be surprised at how important sound is, try playing a video game without it. Sound is an overlooked and integral part of any media device, I'm glad to learnt that the mini does indeed have two speakers, which should enable it to be used to fill a room to a decent degree

I think the reason apple did not proclaim the introduction of stereo speakers for the first time on an idevice is because it would have highlighted the lack of stero speakers on the 4.

They must be leaving the stereo speakers for the ipad 5, which will also have a large thinner batter I think, and follow the slate and silver options of the iphone and mini, it will also be much lighter, people are going to be pretty annoyed when apple do another large ipad refresh relatively soon again I think

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.