Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMiniUpgrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
lets share and compare!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 12.49.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 12.49.06 PM.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 404

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
I...I...I can't even...

How? Why? What do you do with that much data? How do you manage so much data!?

Ha... =) I'm retired but I have three serious hobbies. Photography, CAD work & Rendering of stills & animation video from Solidworks or Cinema 4D. This takes up some serious space. I also have a large collection of Music and Blu-Ray rips. Blu-Ray rips are up to 50GB each with no re-encoding, which is what I like, pure original quality.

Yes, it's a lot of data that I can not afford to lose so I am a stickler for backups. About half my data storage is dedicated to backups. It makes me sleep better at night.

Call me Crazy... Steve say's thats okay...

Last edited:

bigfatipod

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
Ha... =) I'm retired but I have three serious hobbies. Photography, CAD work & Rendering of stills & animation video from Solidworks or Cinema 4D. This takes up some serious space. I also have a large collection of Music and Blu-Ray rips. Blu-Ray rips are up to 50GB each with no re-encoding, which is what I like, pure original quality.

Yes, it's a lot of data that I can not afford to lose so I am a stickler for backups. About half my data storage is dedicated to backups. It makes me sleep better at night.

Can I ask a bit more about your Mac and NAS set up? We have some huge libraries in Aperture that we're obviously going to need to deal with somehow in the near future... We have a 8TB synology nas, but haven't put much on it yet. I started to move over home movies and then realized maybe I needed to format the nas a particular filesystem rather than the default?

Reactions: MacMiniUpgrader

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Can I ask a bit more about your Mac and NAS set up? We have some huge libraries in Aperture that we're obviously going to need to deal with somehow in the near future... We have a 8TB synology nas, but haven't put much on it yet. I started to move over home movies and then realized maybe I needed to format the nas a particular filesystem rather than the default?

I use the standard ext4 file system with no issues. There is a newer file system called Btrfs that has some more advanced features but either will work fine for storing mac files.

Here's a little info from Synology describing the different file systems. HERE

P.S. I to am in the process of converting 18 large Aperture Libraries over to Lightroom. Losing about 5 years of edits in the process. Apple got me good this time, but I won't let it happen again. They convinced me to dump my 5,1 Mac Pro and build a custom PC Workstation.

Last edited:

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
So far I have 256GB internal, and a WD Black 1TB + a 250GB EVO 860 in an Akitio storage bay. Haven't started transferring all my music/photos to my Mini externally yet, one of these days I'll do that. Also have to start ripping my Blu-ray and DVD collection, so a lot more storage is in my future.

Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 7.48.09 PM.png

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
52 Tb plus a 1Tb internal SSD.

That's 2 12 Tb drives, plus 4 6 Tb drives and a couple of 4tb drives.

Sounds more impressive than it actually is, I'm trying to consolidate storage from the miscellaneous 6 and 4Tb drives to the 12Tb ones, which are in a nice Akitio enclosure. Once I do that, I'll retire the older drives.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
2012 2.6ghz i7 quad mini here, used primarily for video/audio editing.

original Apple 256gb internal SSD with Mountain Lion for my expensive legacy software
1tb external Samsung T3 SSD with Sierra as primary boot drive
5tb external hard drive for video projects
5tb external hard drive for everything else
Everything backed up continuously to the cloud with BackBlaze

two additional 5tb hard drives for local backup with Carbon Copy Cloner
additional 2tb hard drive for local backup of the 1tb external SSD

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008

Do you also post on reddit /r/DataHoarder? Massive respect for keeping the old ways alive...

Also why is your NAS not showing up? I am about to setup my old Mini 2012 as a domain controller and file server for my home and I am trying to figure out best practices for auto-mounting a drive (outside of domain policy).

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Do you also post on reddit /r/DataHoarder? Massive respect for keeping the old ways alive...

Also why is your NAS not showing up? I am about to setup my old Mini 2012 as a domain controller and file server for my home and I am trying to figure out best practices for auto-mounting a drive (outside of domain policy).

I'm old school for sure... :D

Network drives don't show in the "About This Mac" dialog window. They do show in the Finder's sidebar though.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 5.57.02 AM.png

This is my Final Cut Pro machine. I have a 1TB SSD for FCPx scratch/work. I have a 2TB external for storing video source, audio clips and ‘parts’. The T5 is new and I’m not yet sure how I will use it. I also have a 4TB external drive for Time Machine backups.

Last edited:

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Mac Mini: 256GB NVME SSD
OWC Ministack: 2TB HDD (thinking about upgrading to an OWC 4M2 but can't yet justify it terms of value for money)

Schermafbeelding 2019-03-14 om 13.59.03.png

image.png

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2019-03-14 om 13.59.03.png
    Schermafbeelding 2019-03-14 om 13.59.03.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 253
  • Schermafbeelding 2019-03-14 om 14.04.29.png
    Schermafbeelding 2019-03-14 om 14.04.29.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 240
Reactions: nutmac

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
I can't take a screenshot as all the info wouldn't fit... but here's my setup.

I have a 2018 Mini with a 1TB drive built in
Then I have a 2TB Samsung EVO 860 as an external fast media drive (has my Lightroom library on it among other bits)
I then have a 6TB WD drive which acts as a time machine, set to backup both my Mac Mini and the 2TB Samsung media drive
For out an about I have a 2TB and 1TB WD Passport drives but I use them less nowadays so they don't find themsevles hooked up to my mini much.
In addition to the above, I use a Drobo with 16TB of Seagate Iron Wolf drives (2x6TB and 2x2TB) which I used to backup second-tier media as well as to provide a backup of my backup drive and store things like movies, unused raw files etc.

I have a load of older time machine drives that I stores as a matter of principle that equate to around 12 TB but those aren't used much anymore though some are hooked up on the same USB Hub as some of the other drives.

lantree

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
After my 5.1 died i moved my data over to a synology nas. I have room for around 16tb on there.
On my mini (2014) i just keep apps and stuff i'm working on now on a 512gb ssd.
Just hoping the new mac pro will not cost one kidney and a liver so I replace my old mini.

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
I'm just on the stock 256GB SSD in the new Mini and a 1TB Seagate External HDD for backup and then my actual content lives on iCloud 200GB plan.

ejket

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
Canada
I have 18TB NFS storage on my home server. Does that count? I haven't plugged anything into my new Mini yet, but I'm sure that'll happen. What are my best storage options with Thunderbolt? I have four empty ports and nothing but dreams.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.