Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slicedbread

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
My brother stupidly threw out the install discs that came with his 2.2GHz Santa Rosa MBP.

Now he wants to reinstall, but I'm fairly sure the only discs that will work are the specific ones bundled with his MBP?

How much do apple charge for replacement discs? NB. I'm in the UK so I guess its more expensive on this side of the pond, as is everything really!

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
If he registered his machine, I think they are $10. But you may want to call Apple and confirm it.

EDIT: Also, any retail OSX install disc will also work.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Not so. Any retail version of OS X is PPC only. You need the specific discs for the MBP.

That makes no sense. Does that mean if I were to go to the Apple store I'd have to buy a "special" version of OS-X in order to install on my MBP? Weird! I guess you are right though:

Hardware Requirements

* PowerPC G5, G4 or G3 processor

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
Indeed. Leopard will be a universal install disc, but at the moment the only options are either borrowing someone else's discs from the same machine or handing over the money. What possessed your brother to do that? It's sort of like throwing away the supplied the remote because you don't like movies, or the battery because you're not going to use your laptop outside of your office. Basically; crackheaded and silly.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Indeed. Leopard will be a universal install disc....

That's comforting. :)

EDIT: Speaking of tossing things in the trash...while I was typing this at work, I had my wrist rubbing across a tag on my desk which I thought was a candy wrapper. I almost picked it up and threw it away. Good thing I didn't because it's attached to a $1199 diamond engagement ring!

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
He will have to at least get a Santa Rosa MacBook Pro install disk, at most, any MacBook Pro install disk. The other night I was trying to reformat my friend's MBP with my MacBook disks since his have gotten a little scratched, but it errors out when you actually try to install.

slicedbread

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Indeed. Leopard will be a universal install disc, but at the moment the only options are either borrowing someone else's discs from the same machine or handing over the money. What possessed your brother to do that? It's sort of like throwing away the supplied the remote because you don't like movies, or the battery because you're not going to use your laptop outside of your office. Basically; crackheaded and silly.

it was an accident. don't think he meant to throw them out.

anyhow will get him to call the old applestore tomorrow.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
That makes no sense. Does that mean if I were to go to the Apple store I'd have to buy a "special" version of OS-X in order to install on my MBP? Weird! I guess you are right though:

How does that make no sense? All of the Intel machines came with Tiger already, so you're not going to be upgrading an Intel machine from Panther to Tiger.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
How does that make no sense? All of the Intel machines came with Tiger already, so you're not going to be upgrading an Intel machine from Panther to Tiger.

I guess you are right there. I just thought it was funny that even still they are not making a universal Tiger disc. It does make sense though because all the Intel macs came with Tiger preloaded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.