Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How are taxes and surcharges handled on your phone bill?

• Included as part of the service

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Billed as separate line items

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Just checking my bill and I see this huge list of taxes and surcharges which amounts to a whopping $24.09 / month! Are you paying similar or are your taxes and surcharges included in the plan fee? I'm with AT&T. Is the same true for T-Mobile and Verizon?

Pricing on their website is deceptive. They list a plan for $65, but it actually ends up costing $114. How?
$65 <- what the listed cost is
$10 <- the fine print that $65 includes $10 auto pay, so if you opt out of auto pay this gets added
$15 <- If you make international calls using WhatsApp and don't want surprise charges that can run into hundreds
$24 <- taxes and surcharges
---
$114

State and Local Tax$10.05
Federal Universal Service Fund$8.62
Administrative Fee$1.99
Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee$1.50
State Universal Service Fund$1.11
Other AT&T Fees and Surcharges$0.44
911 Fee$0.38

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: kitKAC

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
Your state and local tax, 911 fee and State Universal Service Fund will depend entirely where you live/billing address (State, County, City etc.) Those for me total .90 for my line. Your Federal Universal Service Fund looks WAY out of line. Mine is .50 but I believe it also is much higher if you have an international calling plan. I am one line of 6 on the account. Total of all my "junk" fees are $30.55 for all six lines.

Reactions: ghanwani

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My entire monthly bill is $19.91 total (US Mobile 5 GB unlimited plan using their T-Mobile 5G network SIM).

$15.00 plan fee
$2.91 recovery fee
$2.00 service fee
One line?

I have 10 lines with T-Mobile and one EIP/Applecare+ plan. Right now that amounts to $365 a month.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Your state and local tax, 911 fee and State Universal Service Fund will depend entirely where you live/billing address (State, County, City etc.) Those for me total .90 for my line. Your Federal Universal Service Fund looks WAY out of line. Mine is .50 but I believe it also is much higher if you have an international calling plan. I am one line of 6 on the account. Total of all my "junk" fees are $30.55 for all six lines.
I don’t actually need the international plan but AT&T plays this game where they can charge you for international calls when you call using WhatsApp saying that WiFi/data failed and they kept the call going over the voice network instead of dropping the call. They should give users the choice of letting the call drop. Another deceptive business practice by them. So it looks like that’s not just $15 but a whole lot more because of fees. :(

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I’m in Canada, I’ve got 2 lines with Telus, $13.39 for taxes a month. I get an employee discount for the primary line and $10 a month off the second line because the family discount. That all helps as well because plans in Canada suck.

Reactions: orionquest

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I pay $25 a month with ATT Prepaid with 8gb data. Only catch is you have to pay for a year ahead of time.
Do you have visual voicemail?
Are you able to make international calls with WhatsApp?
Are you able to send international texts?

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
The Federal Universal Service Fund percentage is the same for all but state/local taxes and fees vary with Idaho being the lowest and Illinois being the highest in 2022.

Several T-Mobile plans (Magenta, Magenta MAX, Go5G, Go5G Plus) have taxes and fees included. Magenta is the cheapest plan with taxes and fees included and starts at $70/month with one line and $5 AutoPay discount. Of course, there are still a variety of other prepaid and postpaid plans out there which are even cheaper even after adding taxes and fees.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Just checking my bill and I see this huge list of taxes and surcharges which amounts to a whopping $24.09 / month! Are you paying similar or are your taxes and surcharges included in the plan fee? I'm with AT&T. Is the same true for T-Mobile and Verizon?

Pricing on their website is deceptive. They list a plan for $65, but it actually ends up costing $114. How?
$65 <- what the listed cost is
$10 <- the fine print that $65 includes $10 auto pay, so if you opt out of auto pay this gets added
$15 <- If you make international calls using WhatsApp and don't want surprise charges that can run into hundreds
$24 <- taxes and surcharges
---
$114

State and Local Tax$10.05
Federal Universal Service Fund$8.62
Administrative Fee$1.99
Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee$1.50
State Universal Service Fund$1.11
Other AT&T Fees and Surcharges$0.44
911 Fee$0.38

IMG_1449.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.