Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parzival

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2013
So, currently, I'm using a hackintosh (yes, I know), but want to get back into the real Mac game, and would like to ask if any predictions can be made as to the performance of the base model 7,1 compared to my current system, which is:

-Intel i7-4790K
-32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 RAM
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4095 MB

I will be using the new MP for music, so graphics performance is not a big concern.

Will the base model be twice as fast? Half as fast? Any educated guesses?
I have no idea if this question is even easily answerable, so any replies are appreciated.

Last edited:

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
look at a benchmark for the cpu in the new mac and compare it to the cpu you have.
will be that much faster

Reactions: Parzival

WillMoSeattle

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
What is slow currently? For Logic and 16 tracks and some greedy plugins my machine doesn't lag on much besides monitoring latency which I don't care about too much. Audio is not generally such a heavy lift. I'm working with firewire interfaces so though I'd love to have the new machine for final cut I'm pretty happy what I have will serve me for 1080 video and audio especially for a couple years yet.

Parzival

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2013
What is slow currently? For Logic and 16 tracks and some greedy plugins my machine doesn't lag on much besides monitoring latency which I don't care about too much. Audio is not generally such a heavy lift. I'm working with firewire interfaces so though I'd love to have the new machine for final cut I'm pretty happy what I have will serve me for 1080 video and audio especially for a couple years yet.

I really want to get back to a real Mac, since reliability is of great importance to me.
My track count varies between 50-200 tracks, and at the three digit track count, the buffer sizes need to be higher than I would like them to be. I agree audio in general is not that taxing, however certain VSTs and plugins are really power hungry.

Reactions: WillMoSeattle

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
There is not enough information to provide an informed answer. I would recommend you use Activity Monitor to see what resources (CPU, memory, disk, and networking) are being used. Then you can come back to the forum and we can provide better advice.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Well, this is your CPU: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4790K+@+4.00GHz&id=2275

Take note of the single thread rating (something this particular CPU is really good at considering its age) since it may end up being more relevant than the multi core score which isn't too hot here with only 4/8 cores/threads available.

Now what's the baseline model in the new MP (assuming you want to compare to that) - is it known what it's called or if it's another Apple exclusive with a close sibling that may have already been benchmarked and listed in the database?

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Well, this is your CPU: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4790K+@+4.00GHz&id=2275

Take note of the single thread rating (something this particular CPU is really good at considering its age) since it may end up being more relevant than the multi core score which isn't too hot here with only 4/8 cores/threads available.

Now what's the baseline model in the new MP (assuming you want to compare to that) - is it known what it's called or if it's another Apple exclusive with a close sibling that may have already been benchmarked and listed in the database?

or for the 28 core BTO...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.