Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TohMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
Somewhere in the Universe
Curious as to how much longer the iPhone 7 will work well?

Looking at a possible upgrade with my cell company to the iPhone 11 (64g) but if truth be told, I use a phone so infrequently that as of now, the iPhone 7 still fits my needs, almost perfectly.

Almost for I am running out of space and am annoyed with a message I now frequently receive telling me my iPhone can not back up, I need to buy more iCloud space, and/or I keep finding it on an almost empty battery despite having battery capacity at 83%
But aside from that, it suits my needs.

But I have a fair deal being offered I don't wish to miss out on if the phone will very soon be too outdated.

T.I.A.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Curious as to how much longer the iPhone 7 will work well?

Looking at a possible upgrade with my cell company to the iPhone 11 (64g) but if truth be told, I use a phone so infrequently that as of now, the iPhone 7 still fits my needs, almost perfectly.

Almost for I am running out of space and am annoyed with a message I now frequently receive telling me my iPhone can not back up, I need to buy more iCloud space, and/or I keep finding it on an almost empty battery despite having battery capacity at 83%
But aside from that, it suits my needs.

But I have a fair deal being offered I don't wish to miss out on if the phone will very soon be too outdated.

T.I.A.
Be sure to keep the phone backed up and don't get less than 10gb of space on the device. Error 14 is a real issue with phones that run out of space and your device will be rendered useless unless you dump all the data and restore as new... As far as how long will the iPhone 7 be usable, I'd say it would be fine for your needs except for the fact that phones that are at the storage limit perform worse than phones with comfortable free space. You might consider buying a phone with a larger capacity to avoid issues..

Reactions: TohMac

TohMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
Be sure to keep the phone backed up and don't get less than 10gb of space on the device. Error 14 is a real issue with phones that run out of space and your device will be rendered useless unless you dump all the data and restore as new... As far as how long will the iPhone 7 be usable, I'd say it would be fine for your needs except for the fact that phones that are at the storage limit perform worse than phones with comfortable free space. You might consider buying a phone with a larger capacity to avoid issues..
Thanks for the information, and yes, it isn't performing very well at the moment. I think you hit the nail on the head, that I really do need more storage although I would not have initially thought I needed much.

Might be time for the upgrade if for no other reason than what you mentioned.

My present iPhone is only 32g

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Thanks for the information, and yes, it isn't performing very well at the moment. I think you hit the nail on the head, that I really do need more storage although I would not have initially thought I needed much.

Might be time for the upgrade if for no other reason than what you mentioned.

My present iPhone is only 32g
32gb is doable(barely) but only if you are meticulous on what you put in cloud storage and only keep what's necessary on your device. I would say 64gb is the minimum right now and 128 is the sweet spot (at least for me)

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
32gb is doable(barely) but only if you are meticulous on what you put in cloud storage and only keep what's necessary on your device. I would say 64gb is the minimum right now and 128 is the sweet spot (at least for me)

Definitely agree here. 64GB is the minimum nowadays. I used to be able to get away with 32GB base storage, but now, I can't do any lower than 64GB as I still have more than enough free space on my device if I want to download music playlists and/or TV shows/movies locally to my device if I'm traveling.

If the OP is looking for a device similar to their 7, the SE is certainly something to take a look at. Plus, the minimum storage is 64GB, so they would be able to store more data locally on their device without having to rely on iCloud.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The 7 is still a great phone imo (I have the 7+, bought it early this year).

You might want to get the battery replaced if you have never done so (if you bought yours on release date).

If you're looking for an upgrade, the SE is a perfect replacement if you don't want a larger phone. Going to the iPhone 11 means a larger and heavier phone (and no Touch ID), but it does have a much better battery life.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
My wife is still rocking the 7 and she has had her battery replaced once already mid last year. Replacement battery is already down to 85%, because her charging habits are atrocious (it'll be my main grievance in the eventual divorce proceedings), and she is finally biting the bullet and upgrading. To the 11, but still, it's a step in the right direction.

Reactions: TohMac

TohMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
Thanks. Good information. Have had the SE in the past. Nice little phone but I think I want something a bit bigger now but its not a deal breaker if it isn't.

I have been too busy to look at this phone closely but did try to back up all my photos the other day and my iMac would not recognize it. No time since to figure it out but I still have a macbook I can try that on.

Once backed up, I will reset the phone, clear it out and just load on the basics and in future back up my photos more frequently.
I will try that first and if still not pleased, well, the 11 it might be although I now have to take into consideration that 64gb might be too small a few years from now.

Battery replacement?
Off hand without double checking, I believe this phone is about 2.5 years or 3 at the very most. Its the original battery but I thought 85% meant it was still in good shape. I was good with my charging habits, until recently. Now all of a sudden I charge it to 100% and in no time I find its at 7% and have to suddenly charge it again.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
my iPhone7 hit 76% and would not wiork any more.
betting I have another 2y before apple discontinues iPhone7 software updates?

my next phone will have to be 5G, just so you know

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Thanks. Good information. Have had the SE in the past. Nice little phone but I think I want something a bit bigger now but its not a deal breaker if it isn't.

I have been too busy to look at this phone closely but did try to back up all my photos the other day and my iMac would not recognize it. No time since to figure it out but I still have a macbook I can try that on.

Once backed up, I will reset the phone, clear it out and just load on the basics and in future back up my photos more frequently.
I will try that first and if still not pleased, well, the 11 it might be although I now have to take into consideration that 64gb might be too small a few years from now.

Battery replacement?
Off hand without double checking, I believe this phone is about 2.5 years or 3 at the very most. Its the original battery but I thought 85% meant it was still in good shape. I was good with my charging habits, until recently. Now all of a sudden I charge it to 100% and in no time I find its at 7% and have to suddenly charge it again.
The poster was recommending the SE2 ( successor of the 8). U probably had the original SE (5s successor).

regarding battery health. The number sometimes does not reflect all issues. So what u described for sure speaks for a battery replacement

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
the iPhone 7 is a time bomb. The clock is ticking. It is arguably the worst iPhone ever made... reliability and design flaws.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
My 7+ still works fine as a backup phone. I only upgraded to the X since I found it too large for my shirt pocket, and belt clips didn't work too well when it caught entering/exiting car door.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.