Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many gb’s of music do you have on your phone?

• 0-60

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • 60-120

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • 120-250

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • 250-500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 500-1000

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MAL24A

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2022
Hi, I have 104gb of music on my 6s+ 128g and it's time to upgrade. Problem is I can't decide whether to get the PM13 256gb or 512gb.(Can't wait to purchase the music on my Apple & Apple lists). I've purchased the 256gb in Sierra Blue and the 512gb in Graphite and I've 7 days left to decide! o_O. How much music are you storing? Has anyone skipped a storage increment & how's it worked out for you?
7 days & counting ?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Not a lot, only 1gb of music on my 12 Mini. I only have the 64gb version which appears to be plenty space for my pictures, music, games and other apps. I would not buy another 64gb phone again though and I am glad Apple have moved to 128gb minimum.

Reactions: MAL24A

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
0GB on my phone.

However, there is 12GB of music stored on YT Music. Originally it was Google Music (I got in at the beta), which was my entire library from iTunes.

I generally stream my music and see no need to keep it on my device because of that.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I have 36gig on my iPhone. Back in the day, I was a Zune music pass subscriber. For several years, you got 10 free songs per month to download DRM free. I amassed quite a collection over the years with those free downloads, along with ripping all my CD's.

That 36 gig is 3700 songs. I purchase 256gb iOS devices and that is plenty for how I use my devices. I do like my music...

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
I stream everything from Apple Music and my ripped CDs are stored in the cloud which I play through the Flacbox app. So I have plenty of music but it takes nothing from my storage capacity.

Reactions: Fantasio

BuggyGT

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
If you plan on keeping the new iPhone for many years it is never a bad idea to buy more storage than you need. For me since I upgrade every year I buy based on my needs for the upcoming year.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Over 200GB on my 512 GB iPad. And 70GB on my iPhone. Definitely need to upgrade to 512GB iPhone this year or next. Streaming is still only for discovery, and I have no streaming service I can use to discover.

Generally I hate streaming because once payment is gone I have nothing left. But that’s the discussion for another day.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
97/128GB, no intention of moving to streaming anytime soon just because it's too internet reliant, and paying to access what I could just bring with me offline is a waste of money

I have far more music stored on my computer, but I've been using iTunes and smart playlists to handle what goes on my phone, so in theory I don't ever really need to upgrade for storage. 128GB is the sweet spot for my needs for now

sabrelli

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
im tight lol so i dont pay for spotify or any other music streaming subscriptions

i transfer mp3s onto my phone and struggle to reach 128gb.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Just a couple of GB local. I mostly just stream (freebies included with Amazon Prime).

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate listening to music isn’t everyone’s favourite pastime ?
Well, to be honest, I don't listen to music on my phone, nor do I listen radio. So 0 GB.

I do however - sometimes - listen (watch?) some Youtube videos with relax music. In the last time I did convert some of these to MP3 and have stored them on my PC, because the internet connection is quite unstable here.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
None and I listen to music all the time.
After having spent a fortune on vinyl I don't use any more and CDs I don't use any more, I decided to go for Apple music and I stream everything.
The family plan is really good value and with 5 using it all the time and you have just about everything you could ever want.
Then there's Youtube music.
I have tried Spotify and Deezer and I have nothing against either of them- in fact Spotify is probably slightly better- but Apple And You tube are fine for me.
The whole business of digital means you will never get such good quality no matter how hard you try. Analogue is infinitely variable so will always have more info- although the amount of distortion, tracking errors, cracks and buzzes on vinyl meant it was often a miserable experience.
I use lossless sometimes but frankly high quality AAC Apple provides sometimes sounds better and certainly doesn't sound worse even on really good equipment.

RayB4

macrumors member
148GB on my 2020SE 256GB. Although I live only 40 miles from the centre of London it‘s rural here and 4G is flaky enough to make streaming a pain while out and about. I also have about 6GB of podcasts and audiobooks.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
Over 200GB on my 512 GB iPad. And 70GB on my iPhone. Definitely need to upgrade to 512GB iPhone this year or next. Streaming is still only for discovery, and I have no streaming service I can use to discover.

Generally I hate streaming because once payment is gone I have nothing left. But that’s the discussion for another day.
I agree with you that once you stop your subscription to whatever streaming service you use, music is all gone.. I myself do use Spotify, but I also have a lot of CD’s and continue to buy them when I find cheap used ones. How to get my CD’s on my iPhone is something I don’t know how to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.