Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasoco

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Did anyone else notice the missing icons in the menubar? When I was watching the keynote I noticed there were no wifi, time, time machine, and bluetooth icons in the menubar, the only icon that was there was spotlight. Is this a bug or a feature of Lion?
It's a demo machine. It doesn't need WiFi, Bluetooth or Time Machine.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I think the killer feature they were hiring for is the Dropbox-killer Gruber mentioned. It remains to be seen if this will make it into Lion.

However, we have to consider the position advertised may have been intended for the NEXT version of Mac OS X (XI?). I mean, the job was advertised July 29 2010, a little late to be adding a feature to an OS that ships a year later.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the killer feature they were hiring for is the Dropbox-killer Gruber mentioned. It remains to be seen if this will make it into Lion.
Dropbox killer?

Given the poor performance of iDisk, I don't think dropbox is all that worried.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Given the poor performance of iDisk, I don't think dropbox is all that worried.

I love my iDisk. It used to be really buggy, but it has worked flawlessly for me for the last year. I haven't seen any error messages, had any hang ups, or deleting issues since before last Christmas. I think the bugs have been crushed or at least they have for me, using it on 3 Macs, 1 iPad and two iPhones.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
I hope there is more.

However, I think that they've shown us the main features, apart from iWork.
In WWDC, I think they will concentrate on the possible touch screen iMac and I think - for the next 8 months - Apple will make everything bigger - bigger glowing orbs, bigger secondary click menus; like in iPhoto, in full screen mode, the share buttons are very spaced out and large!

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
As far as I can see, the Leopard Sneak Peek site at the beginning of 2007 advertised as main features of the OS update basically:

- Time Machine
- Mail 3
- iChat (video backdrops / ichat theatre)
- Spaces
- Dashboard improvements
- Spotlight for Leopard
- iCal for Leopard
- Accessibility
- 64bit-ness
- Core Animation

What "big" end-user features did they ship and advertise in October 2007 in addition to that?

- transparent menu bar
- shiny dock
- Stacks
- Quick Look
- improved Coverflow Finder

Draw your own conclusions…

Personally I'm always excited about the little things that are added or changed to improve the everyday usability of the OS.

Last edited:

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
As far as I can see, the Leopard Sneak Peek site at the beginning of 2007 advertised as main features of the OS update basically:

- Time Machine
- Mail 3
- Spaces
- Dashboard improvements
- Spotlight for Leopard
- iCal for Leopard
- Accessibility
- 64bit-ness
- Core Animation

What "big" end-user features did they ship and advertise in October 2007 in addition to that?

- transparent menu bar
- shiny dock
- Stacks
- Quick Look

Personally I'm always excited about the little things that are added or changed to improve the everyday usability of the OS.

Man Leopard had some good stuff compared to Lion (so far at least)

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
I think Lion will be as big of an OS X update as Leopard (and cost $129 accordingly), and I bet they hold a WWDC event for Mac developers before its release next summer that will showcase the more geeky features (new Core frameworks, etc) and previously unannounced user features.

Jobs even hinted at that in an e-mail reply to a Mac developer:

"We are focusing primarily (though not exclusively) on iPhone OS this year. Maybe next year we will focus primarily on the Mac. Just the normal cycle of things. No hidden meaning here."

http://www.macstories.net/news/steve-jobs-email-apple-design-awards-wwdc-2010/

I think your right, all we've seen so far are the Themes of the update, with not a lot of detail.

There will be the standard MacBookPro event in April/May which will probably launch another feature targeted at those machines.

It's shaping up that we'll see a MacPro Campus Event end of January which would have a feature or two to talk about. What they plan for Lion Server hopefully?

Then WWDC will be the detail event more for Developers in detailed sessions with a Keynote Selling targeted at a mix of Developers and media but knowing the public is watching, as it will also launch iPhone5.

Plus the Two iOS events (Roadmap/Music) which will ignore OSX completely.
With Lion onsale around the time of Music so Steve can say how fast the take up has been at the in the update at the start of MacBookAir event.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Sometimes it frustrates me because it seems that more and more people on these forums are expecting apple to always make something revolutionary every year or two and that so many people are underwhelmed by the os's. Snow Leopard was a huge leap forward, but as a normal consumer you can't see that. It has set the foundation for a LONG time. Lion demo I honestly don't think is the place to dump all cool new features. Media doesn't care, developers do, who was at the event??? the media. Also Apple needs to have a rabbit in the hat. So as I've stated before, I'll wait till a full feature demo at WWDC w/ a GM in the hand of devs to make up my mind

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010

- Time Machine
- Mail 3
- Spaces
- Dashboard improvements
- Spotlight for Leopard
- iCal for Leopard
- Accessibility
- 64bit-ness
- Core Animation

- transparent menu bar
- shiny dock
- Stacks
- Quick Look

Unless I buy a new Mac, or an "touch Mac", then I won't upgrade to 10.7, as this seems like an optimisation for touch-screens.

Lion has done:
- Mac App store
- Launchpad
- Full-screen apps
- Mission Control

I think they will, in WWDC 2011, focus on the GUI:
- More optimisation for touchscreen, bigger space between menus.
- New look
- I'm hoping for a GUI / UI clean up, especially with iTunes and iLife - consistently.
[I want the colour back, look at iTunes 10, new colourful logo, dull sidebar :(]

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Unless I buy a new Mac, or an "touch Mac", then I won't upgrade to 10.7, as this seems like an optimisation for touch-screens.

Lion has done:
- Mac App store
- Launchpad
- Full-screen apps
- Mission Control

:(]

plus from the preview
-Autosave which teamed with Time machine gives you a mild document versioning.
-App parking and relaunching
plus hidden in app store as a feature there are features that in other presentation would be a feature in themselves.
-Like improved Updating.
plus Facetime will be non-beta.

So By sneak peek standards it wasn't that far off the mark on features.
Plus left a lot of interesting questions for the Technical preview to come.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
plus from the preview
-Autosave which teamed with Time machine gives you a mild document versioning.

That could be a good feature.

-App parking and relaunching

I don't like that, I like to see what apps are open and what apps are closed. And doesn't 10.6 do that anyway: when you open an app (like Safari), then click the red button, when you click on the icon again then it opens instantly.

plus hidden in app store as a feature there are features that in other presentation would be a feature in themselves.

I have nothing to say but: LOL.

-Like improved Updating. Plus Facetime will be non-beta.

I can get the "Mac app Store" for 10.6.

So By sneak peek standards it wasn't that far off the mark on features.
Plus left a lot of interesting questions for the Technical preview to come.

The only features I like, so far is: nothing; I don't like the "Mac App Store" and I won't use it. I don't use FaceTime.

A feature that I may like is: App parking and "Autosave."

The "features" that I hate, so far is:
-Big menu spaces - I can see them updating more things to have the big spacing, by WWDC 2011. Why have big spacing for mouses? Why not have a switch that changes the OS between big everything to normal size everything, for the possible "touch mac"?
-Lack of colour.

I was hoping for a new GUI, but not everything with less colour. I always loved the "Mail" icons, why couldn't they have made them "flashy icons" system wide? All I can hope is that they will see the light by WWDC.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
I was hoping for a new GUI, but not everything with less colour. I always loved the "Mail" icons, why couldn't they have made them "flashy icons" system wide? All I can hope is that they will see the light by WWDC.

Apple could still add a new GUI by WWDC 11. They did that with leopard, with the new dock, stacks, and the translucent menu bar from tiger.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Apple could still add a new GUI by WWDC 11. They did that with leopard, with the new dock, stacks, and the translucent menu bar from tiger.

They *are*/ have already started to create a new GUI. Unfortunately, it's dull, boring and looks like Windows 95/98 - OK, maybe that was a bit of an overkill.

They are now limiting us with our apps:
We cannot drag and drop pictures in to mail from iPhoto, we have to make it in iPhoto - which is good if you want to make a cool looking HTML email, but if you just want to send them as attachments, with a little bit of text. Before, it was so simple, open up iPhoto, click on photo, edit at bit, drag and drop in to mail, now, to do a "normal" email, we have to find it in the finder - hard for me, as I have 5000 pics in one giant folder - not organised - I know. Just wait untill next year - you won't be able to secondary click and "Open in Finder"

Attachments

• dull 'n' boring.png
    dull 'n' boring.png
    529.6 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
The OS isn't actually finished yet, so who knows? Steve may think up a brilliant idea a couple of days before release and the programmers will be scrambling night and day to fit it in before release time :p

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
(I)Don't care about the eye-candy

I think(i hope) we should see more under the hood things with Lion at WWDC. I am hoping we well see OpenGL upgrades/improvements, better support for OpenCL.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Re-watched the Back to Mac and Lion preview the other day.
Steve answers this question when he said there was another 90minutes of keynote material to show but they cut back to just the five features they did show.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Re-watched the Back to Mac and Lion preview the other day.
Steve answers this question when he said there was another 90minutes of keynote material to show but they cut back to just the five features they did show.

Yep, this was my take-away from that as well. They're proud of these features, but more importantly, they fit the theme of iOS advancements coming back to the Mac. There will likely be another 5-7 new features they will promote in addition to the ones they showed.

jW

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
They're proud of these features, but more importantly, they fit the theme of iOS advancements coming back to the Mac.
jW

LOL This got me thinking...Perhaps they should explain a little more about the iOS-type advancements being made in Lion.

I have read SEVERAL posts on this and other sites of people thinking the Mac App Store, and the Launchpad, being used for actual iOS apps on Mac. That is just NOT the case. They are simply iOS modeled features being applied to the Mac OS for Mac applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.