Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much of your iPhone capability do you really use?

• 100%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80%

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • 60%

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • 50%

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • 40%

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • 20% or less

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
This is something that came up during a chat amongst myself and some of my coworkers. How much of the features and capabilities of your mobile phone do you really use?
Something I thought was a good question.

Personally when I look at how I use my device, I found I really only use less than half of the abilities of my 12 ProMax. Some of that is due to the fact I also us my iPad Pro 11 (2020) for a lot. As I also do a good bit of beta testing, I tend to touch on a lot more than I sue day to day.

So, how do really use?

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
I am satisfied with my old iPhone 7 and really not find much difference with iPhone 12. This tells you how much of iPhone’s capabilities I use.

Reactions: dk001 and rocketbuc

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
Apple engineers have fun, but are poor at communicating new features / functionality to the majority of the user base.

Reactions: dk001

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Probably 20% - and only that high because of 3rd Party apps. Most of Apple's I keep in a folder on my phone called 'Junk Drawer'.

And here's a thought for Apple - if you have to rely on outside Media reporters to find and explain to other users how to find / use features on your products, they're probably neither well-designed or intuitive.
Cardinal sins when it comes to good industrial design.

• Love

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
I guessed at 50%. I may "use" some features that came with the camera improvements or whatever, but I'm using them just because I took a photo, not because I was taking a photo to use the features. Same with most of the iOS stuff, I never use Shortcuts etc even though a lot of the third-party apps I use have integration.

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2009
I use my 4S mostly as a cooking timer, and to send messages to my ISP when the internet connection goes down, and sometimes as a WiFi HotSpot. So less than 20% then!

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I realized while listening to today's presentation how little of the functions I really use or are really intested in using. I think I've made 1 Facetime call ( when I do video conferencing I'm not usually the originator), I send and receive simple messages, etc.
I do think some of these new features (although sound great) will be too complex for most people to implement or use and since Apple is famous for no documentaion etc. I think many if implemented will take a while for people to use.

Reactions: dk001 and Bazza1

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
Do you mean hardware or software features? Or both?

For hardware, I use (obviously) Touch ID every day, Force Touch all the time, and camera features almost never.

Most of my time using my phone is texting, browsing the web, or reading books. Force Touch is/was very useful while browsing, being able to peek at links instead of opening them and all the loading and page jittering.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Do you mean hardware or software features? Or both?

For hardware, I use (obviously) Touch ID every day, Force Touch all the time, and camera features almost never.

Most of my time using my phone is texting, browsing the web, or reading books. Force Touch is/was very useful while browsing, being able to peek at links instead of opening them and all the loading and page jittering.

Both. More as a whole. Good question.
I don't have a lot of apps on mine and what I do have I don't really push. Usually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.