Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dynamyk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Toronto
Ok, I just took on a webmaster job part time for my school, and I'm going to be using Photoshop,Dreamweaver and Flash probably simultainuously. I have a stock iBook right now. Question is is another 512 MB going to be sufficient to run 2 of those programs at a time or do I really need to go upto 1024? Money is tight and saving anything would be good but I want my comp to run smooth and not have beachballs when I'm doing the job.

hoopmastaflex

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2006
Dynamyk said:
Ok, I just took on a webmaster job part time for my school, and I'm going to be using Photoshop,Dreamweaver and Flash probably simultainuously. I have a stock iBook right now. Question is is another 512 MB going to be sufficient to run 2 of those programs at a time or do I really need to go upto 1024? Money is tight and saving anything would be good but I want my comp to run smooth and not have beachballs when I'm doing the job.

I would highly recommend getting 1024MB. At work I use an XP machine and do pretty much what you are talking about doing. At first the machine I was using had 512MB and it was just painful. I finally talked my boss into giving me more RAM and now I have 1.5GB of RAM and everything runs smoothly even when I have Photoshop, Dreamweaver (although I hate Dreamweaver), and several other applications open at the same time.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Dynamyk said:
So it looks like I'm going to be shelling out $150 + :(

It shouldn't be quite that bad.

Troll DealRAM or keep talking about memory prices until CanadaRAM shows up (it's like a dog whistle to him! :eek: ;) :D ) ... you can do a lot better than $150 for 1 GB of new memory....

'Sides, your Mac will adore you for it. :) My earlier iBook sadly only has 640MB of RAM, but my iMac LOVES 1.5 GB. :D It's a G5/2.0, honestly, so yeah, it's going to be faster than my G4/800 iBook :eek: but still...the RAM makes a big difference....

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
As a rule, whenever I upgrade RAM I put the maximum the computer can support. Especially with something like an iBook G4 or a Mac mini G4 which has only one RAM slot, it makes more sense to just do it in one shot.

Otherwise, say you put a 512 MB chip in. Then you have to get rid of the 512 later on to make room for a 1GB. Not worth it. ;)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
mkrishnan said:
...keep talking about memory prices until CanadaRAM shows up (it's like a dog whistle to him! :eek: ;) :D ) ...
Eh? What was that I hear? Something way up high saying "raaaaaaaaaaam... raaaaaaaaaam"

Dynamyk, if you are in the USA I second the vote for Data Memory Systems Good RAM, good Mac people.

Edit - Oopsie - Toronto. Really wish the Locations showed up while writing a reply to a post. In that case, I hope you can deduce who to check with ;)

And a good rule is: always maximize the socket -- that is, when you fill a RAM socket, always put in the largest memory module it will hold. In the case of an iBook, since it has only one, that means topping it up with the 1 gb module. Otherwise as CoMpX says, you're faced with a loss on the lower capacity RAM when you need to upgrade later.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
I'd say the more RAM the better. If you can afford it, max it out! I was able to pick up a 1GB chip for my iBook from NewEgg for $129 US. I've used Photoshop and Dreamweaver simultaneously with the 1.5GB and they both run with absolutely no slow down. So, I would assume you could get Flash in there with little slow down. :)

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I've still got the 1 gig chip the was used for six weeks in my iBook. Samsung which is OEM Apple ram.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
The OP is on a budget, so the advice to maximize the slot is good, but it might not be right for him.

I think you will be fine with 1GB of RAM. I have that much in my 15" PB and I can run both of those applications at once, but I probably do not use them at the level that you might. If you can only afford the 512, then thats all you can do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.