Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cons1970

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
Revenue question

Hi,

I just launched my first iAd app. The following numbers came through:

Revenue: $0.00
eCPM: $0.00
Requests: 7
Impressions: 7
Fill Rate: 100.00%
CTR: 0.00%

How are revenue and eCPM calculated? Aren't they based on impressions? I can understand CTR being 0% since probably nobody can clicked on one of the ads but why are revenue and eCPM 0?

Thank you

Cons

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Hi,

How are revenue and eCPM calculated? Aren't they based on impressions? I can understand CTR being 0% since probably nobody can clicked on one of the ads but why are revenue and eCPM 0?

Thank you

Cons
Your revenue and eCPM are 0 because you have far too few impressions (only 7) to even qualify as a "blip on the radar", so to speak.

As for how they are calculated, eCPM is a fairly simple forumla: (revenue ÷ impressions) x 1000. Revenue is pretty much a black box, and dependent on numerous factors. Suffice it to say, whatever revenue Apple gets from you serving ads, they pass 60% on to you.

calres

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
Take a look at this...

http://froot.co/p42cFi

iAd revenue dropping

Anyone else has also noted the drop? I have had a drop of around the 75% of the revenue, which started around the end of june.

With my experience, at his moment, I would not recommend making an app ad supported since iAd revenue has dropped and adMob revenue being even lower, it does not worth the effort.

Anyone knows any forum which talks about iAd stuff? I cannot find any.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
With my experience, at his moment, I would not recommend making an app ad supported since iAd revenue has dropped and adMob revenue being even lower, it does not worth the effort.
I would not discount ad support so quickly unless I was sure I understood the reason(s) behind the drop. These things can be cyclical and perhaps revenues will increase as we get closer to the holiday shopping season.

droidking

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
I noticed a massive drop of 60% end of June too. I've recently tried another ad network called Leadboltapps. So far things are looking great. I suppose it was a sign to change. If my revs didnt plummet I wouldnt have tried them.

jsdodgers

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2011
My iAd revenue actually steadily increased throughout the months of may, june, july, and august and never experienced any decrease =/

Eldensword

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
Geo Fencing

I am trying to wrap my head around the potential for geo fencing. I've got something in the works but in my model, I would like to include the geo fencing revenue potential. The trouble is, it all seems free at the time. In other words, which apps are likely to use geo fencing as a revenue source? Or, is geo fencing simply "beaming" to any random phones that walk into the field? Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Hi,

Thank you

Cons

I have had days of similarly low impressions and requests, but my eCPM has never been $0.

On my first day, I had 21/30 (impressions/requests), a CTR of 5%, and a eCPM of $9, which gave me a revenue of $0.19.

On another day, I had 22/34, but a CTR of 0% and a eCPM of $2.50, so I only had a revenue of $0.05.

It seems to me that you had the same case as I had the second day, with a CTR of 0%, but 1/3 as many impressions, so it seems like you should have made about $0.02 or $0.01. Hardly anything, but at least not nothing.

(Of my five days using iAds, these two my lowest impressions/requests. The other days they've been in the 50-100 range, and I feel like it's just going to go up and up. All my friends that I've shown it to have loved it and started using it multiple times a day... I just need to show it to some review websites for it to take off, I think.)

Maverick2805

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
First of all, hello everybody.

I've found this Thread regarding iAd revenues.

I have integrated AdWhirl into my first free app, but I am quite unsure if it even works :D

On my girlfriends iPhone no ads where shown, however in the reporting Center of AdWhirl it is stating that there have been 13 impressions.

Could somebody be so kind and check if they receive any Ads from my app, after all its free ;-)

The name is: Aviation DG

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aviation-dg/id470114020?l=de&ls=1&mt=8

Oh and if somebody from the US is downloading it, does the explanation show in English or Spanish?? Which it does for me when I choose the US itunes store link, which would be very strange as the localization is set for English.

Thanks for your help

Cheers Mav

lhyx1990

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
my stats

Does admob make less or more than iad?

in my case, YES! because my apps are popular in China and Taiwan where doesn't support iAd.

here is my statistics in first 3 hours today!
iPad version: (lite version)
Revenue : 10.46
Request: 10,800
eCPM 0.98
Fill Rate: 99.31%
RPM: $0.97

iPhone version:
Revenue: $6.04
Request: 10,849
eCPM $0.56
FillRate: 99.98%
RPM: $0.56

this is a new app. the iPhone version is About 5k sales in China, 3k in Taiwan and 2K in HongKong per day. the iPad version is about 8k sales in China per day.

good news is that the daily revenue is growing every day since the users are accumulated. (I will keep adding things into my game)

yesterday my admob revenue is $100+, iAd revenue is $2, iPad full version is 50 sales. (price 0.99)
:D

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Hi there,

I am considering creating an app for the first time. Since it will represent a significant time investment, I am wondering if it will get a decent return ($) on my investment.

Thank you all.

Hey! It's quite some time since you posted this thread, how did you eventually get on?
I'm looking at putting iAd within an app of mine... And I stumbled across this thread :)

Galarina

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
Hey! It's quite some time since you posted this thread, how did you eventually get on?
I'm looking at putting iAd within an app of mine... And I stumbled across this thread :)

I had an app with iAds, but I removed them again.

In order to have a reasonable income from iAds, your need an app that people are using very regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
In order to have a reasonable income from iAds, your need an app that people are using very regularly.

Interesting! I'm about to read your blog! What app have you put out? (If you don't mind me asking.
I wish I could find out more info about Ads in iOS, but there's not a lot of info online!

Hopefully you could help me? :)

EDIT: PhotoMeta, (just read your blog) haha!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
To make money on the app store, your app needs to either:

1 - Be installed on nearly every iOS device. We're talking Angry Birds, Draw Something, Facebook, or Twitter popularity here. If your app is this popular, you could get decent income from ads.

2 - Be so useful to the people who want it, they're willing to pay money for it.

I have an app. It gets thousands of usages per month. It brings me in maybe a dollar each month from ad revenue.

Just making sure this is clear: Thousands of ads impressions translates into maybe a dollar. You need hundreds of thousands of ads impressions to make a few hundred dollars a month. That's a lot of impressions for an income that isn't even minimum wage.

In short: Don't bother with ads. I don't know how people managed to make apps as crazy successful as Angry Birds or Draw Something, but realize that for each one of those crazy successful ones, there are thousands of failures. You're much more likely to make a decent income from an app people are actually willing to pay money for.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Pardon me for not quite understanding but I'm very new in the app business (got my first app coming out in 1-2 months).

So inside my app Adwhirl will automatically rotate between the ad networks I have chosen to support (AdMob and iAd probably in my case) according to availability? Meaning that if iAd (being first priority) doesn't show any ads, then Adwhirl will display AdMob ads instead?

Also, what does iAd and AdMob charge me per ad displayed?

AdMob is a bit more complicated than implementing iAd, but not much. You could be tempted to roll-your-own instead of trying AdWhirl but it does have some advantages, such as being able to configure the priorities of your ad networks, backfill priorities, and house ads all from their website, therefore no changes (read: updates) to the app itself needed! If you have questions about potential advantages with this, ask. I'll see if I can come up with a couple of explanatory examples.

Currently, my ad-supported, universal app (a.k.a.) is serving iAds to iPhone / iPod touch users and AdMob ads to iPad users. I'm wanting to integrate AdWhirl across everything but have been having issues with iAd sizes on the iPad (Apple assumes full-screen and I need them to be constrained in size to the right-half of a split-view). And I can't configure AdWhirl to only serve AdMob ads on the iPad. I think my next course-of-action is to just stick with AdMob for the iPad side and implement AdWhirl (serving mostly iAds and backfilling with AdMob which, based on iAds fill-rates, will be quite often) on the iPhone / iPod touch side of things.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
That's great. Thanks for your reply.

Correct.

They charge a percentage of the revenue they receive for serving that ad. So, for example, Apple keeps 30% (now) for iAds and pays you the remaining 70%.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Correct.

They charge a percentage of the revenue they receive for serving that ad. So, for example, Apple keeps 30% (now) for iAds and pays you the remaining 70%.

Wow, so much new information when you're new to this..

So anyway I signed up with Adwhirl and made a quick post on their forums. Here I was told to consider AdMob Mediation instead, as that is more advanced than Adwhirl, and because Adwhirl won't ever get updated again.

So after looking into Admob Mediation I decided to look at some more networks. I recognized the name Smaato and wrote them an email with the same information I have just posted above. They replied that with them, there would be no reason for me to use Admob Mediation, because by signing up with Smaato I automatically get access to 80 ad networks.
This sounds pretty good, so it's left me wondering what the upsides to Admob Mediation might be compared to what Smaato offers. What do you guys think? Is Smaato more expensive per impression maybe?

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Is it possible to make an ad reload every once in a while to get more impressions? Like if a user doesn't quit this app, but he turns off the for a few hours.
Could I code the app, still running in the foreground despite the screen being off, to refresh the ads every 15 minutes, thus getting me more impressions?

Hykaruz

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2012
Brazil
Hello, I'm new on iads. Could someone help me, I'm really lost in this first day using iAds...

Considering information below:
Date: Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Revenue: $0.78
eCPM: $15.61
Requests: 995
Impressions: 50
Fill Rate: 5.03%
iAd Fill Rate: 54.95%
CTR: 16.00%

What's the total value I will receive based only on this day? I'm not understanding well if I will receive $0.78, $15.61 or both. Is this eCPM just a base for some calc or the final value calculated?
I read documentation but I did not understand well.

Sorry about this basic questions...

Thanks in advance and sorry about my English grammar...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.