Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wilbor9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
I am considering creating an app for the first time. Since it will represent a significant time investment, I am wondering if it will get a decent return ($) on my investment.

I am thinking of making the app free and running it with iAd. Therefore, I've been trying to find statistics about how much money developers typically get, but I've had no luck. COULD SOMEONE RUNNING iAd POST THEIR TYPICAL REVENUE? Thanks.
I now that depends on various factors but i'm really want an average.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State

To get an average, you would need to get a sample size that is statistically relevant. I suspect that may not be easy.

Anyways, in my case, I make hundreds of dollars a year in iAd revenue, but I get more from AdMob.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
There was a study done about a year or so ago. It had developers post info and they posted the results.

Basically, most did not break even, a VERY small percent got 80% of the money.

I don't know if they were restricted to fee with ads or all apps.

Remember, the AppStore has about 1 million apps... You can go to the WWDC 2013 videos and look at how much money was paid out, the get an average.

I think the more popular apps get the highest fill rate, note that fill rate is not the number of ads ran, but the percentage of ad requests that are filled.

I'm pretty sure most apps are free (could be wrong) but that means there's a LOT of apps asking for ads.

BTW, I also saw where the average cost of developing an iOS app was $27K, but again that's an average and I think the stats are over a year old.

I really don't think you'll get very usable information by simply getting a sample of what others make. You'd have to look into marketing and a bunch of other issues to get anything meaningful.

mokoolapps

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2013
I am considering creating an app for the first time. Since it will represent a significant time investment, I am wondering if it will get a decent return ($) on my investment.

I am thinking of making the app free and running it with iAd. Therefore, I've been trying to find statistics about how much money developers typically get, but I've had no luck. COULD SOMEONE RUNNING iAd POST THEIR TYPICAL REVENUE? Thanks.

I think there is a lot more to just making app and making money. It is like any other business. Setting it up, marketing, market research, design, programming, tweaking, create more apps etc.... The odds of making it are not guaranteed, but if you get in that top part, it can be worth it.

RevMob pays much better then iAds - http://mgb.revmob.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.