Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesrakk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2019
Finland
Hi,

I am looking for trading my MBP 15" Mid 2017 with Touch Bar 2,8Ghz i7 16Gb 256 SSD
Radeon Pro 555, 2048 Mt, Intel HD Graphics 630, 1536 Mt to a MBP 13" Late 2016 with Touch Bar 2.9Ghz i5 and 512 SSD. Video card for the MBP 13" is Iris Graphics 550. So my question is, how much should I get money in addition for this exchange?

Does this MBP 13" runs video editing apps well as FinalCut Pro or Adobe Premiere. I think I wouldn't have to edit 4k videos necessary but at least 1080p.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Are you talking on a trade on the used market? Trading in somewhere and using the money to buy a used 13"?

For a straight trade, you are maybe looking at the 13" plus like $100-200 in exchange for the 15". The 13 has a larger SSD and is newer. It would make little sense to trade in the the 15" and then buy a 13" used. You would end up even or paying out in that scenario I assume.

The video editing capability of the 15" will be greater than the 13". If you edit video regularly, I would stick with the 15".

jesrakk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2019
Finland
Are you talking on a trade on the used market? Trading in somewhere and using the money to buy a used 13"?

For a straight trade, you are maybe looking at the 13" plus like $100-200 in exchange for the 15". The 13 has a larger SSD and is newer. It would make little sense to trade in the the 15" and then buy a 13" used. You would end up even or paying out in that scenario I assume.

The video editing capability of the 15" will be greater than the 13". If you edit video regularly, I would stick with the 15".

Thank you for your message!

Yes so this trade would happen in the used market. We would swap our laptops head-to-head. He offered me 450€ now but I may not accept it. Everyone has told me to stick with this one. I'm just a kind of stingy person so I have thought that I wouldn't necessary this good laptop for my use. But I have heard so much different information about 13" power. Someone says it lags a lot but other says he don't have a problem at all.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008

you misread, 13" is 2016 and 15" is 2017.

to the OP,
450€ sounds reasonable to me.
but 13" will perform worse, hard to gauge how much worse because i can't guess how heavy your projects are

Reactions: Cashmonee

jesrakk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2019
Finland
to the OP,
450€ sounds reasonable to me.
but 13" will perform worse, hard to gauge how much worse because i can't guess how heavy your projects are

Thanks for the message.
I would want to start vlogging and make some training videos. So basically I would just film my life and edit them. So nothing that complex though.

What would be you opinion on that then? Does it make sense to trade this 15" to 13"?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I went from 15" as my allrounder to two computer 13"+Mini setup.

13" screen is smaller. it's not 2" smaller, it's ****ing smaller, and I can't imagine using it for video editing on a daily basis. (Video is not my #1 task, but i do some stuff in FCPX every now and then).

It's nice and everything, but it's smaller.
Also, i have the 2018 which is Quad-core, on a dual core you should see quite a performance hit.

If video is your target, i wouldn't bother with the swap.

jesrakk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2019
Finland
Aight I hear you. Thank you. Maybe I stick with this one. I am going to exchange next autumn so 13" could be better there. And I got home an external screen so I could use that also.

But in overall everyone says to stick with this one so that's what I do. I'm just a kind of stingy person so I don't necessary really feel like I would need this good laptop for me.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
My late 2016 is fine for editing short videos, it flies on FCPX. Can't speak for Premiere/Avid etc. I've cut multiple ~15min short films on mine. Only limiting factor is the screen size, but I have a 27" external monitor so it's not really an issue. Render times will obviously be a bit slower than a quad-core, but it's not like the 13" takes hours and the 15" takes seconds. It'll be a few minutes here and there.

For what it's worth, I think €450 is a good offer considering the larger SSD.

alex87f

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2015
Brussels, Belgium
I'm not sure I'd go ahead with such a trade, getting one of the oldest new-gen MBP's in the middle of the flexgate debacle seems like a risky proposal.

Also, I'd assume you can get +/-1800€ for your 15" on the used market. If you're dead set on getting a smaller laptop, do the sale and get a refurbished 2018 256gb touchbar MBP, which'll leave you with an extra 100€ in your pocket.
I think the additional 350€ you'd spend would be money well-placed as they get you a newer device, warranty at a time when it's no luxury, and quad-core performance.

jesrakk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2019
Finland
Thank you guys for your messages. I appreciate them all. What I been thinking now that I will stay with this one, or then I should get more money from the 2016 13". But all in all, this 2017 15" may be the best opinion. And I bough this for 1750€ so I didn't make a bad deal back then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.