Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
muffinman said:
How much thicker is the macbook pro compared to the powerpc powerbooks?
It's slightly thinner, deeper and wider than the old 15.

MacBook Pro:
Height: 1.0 inch (2.59 cm)
Width: 14.1 inches (35.7 cm)
Depth: 9.6 inches (24.3 cm)
Weight: 5.6 pounds (2.54 kg) with battery and optical drive installed (4)

PowerBook:
12": 1.18 x 10.9 x 8.6 inches, 4.6 lbs
15": 1.1 x 13.7 x 9.5 inches, 5.6 lbs
17": 1 x 15.4 x 10.2 inches, 6.9 lbs

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
wasimyaqoob said:
Hmm... yeah but while the new MacBook is thinner, is lacks more stuff which the Powerbook has got and that awful Intel CPU is in it as well :(

Eh? Awful? Why awful? From everything I've seen/heard/etc. the Intel processors will be a fantastic improvment. And aside from FireWire 800 what does the G4 PowerBook have that the MacBook lacks?

EDIT: A thousand pardons. I just saw that the new Books lack modem, S-video, DL burning, and have a 4x DVD burn speed. I can see a few people being offed by this, but most people won't miss them.

bug

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2004
Vancouver, BC
wasimyaqoob said:
Hmm... yeah but while the new MacBook is thinner, is lacks more stuff which the Powerbook has got and that awful Intel CPU is in it as well :(

What exactly is awful about it? My 1.67 is a faithful machine, but it sure aint fast. I believe the intel chip they are using and my G4 have about the same power consumption, so I'm not sure what there is not to like about it. Do you read byte code all the time and really don't like the endian change? (valid, but weird)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
bug said:
What exactly is awful about it? My 1.67 is a faithful machine, but it sure aint fast. I believe the intel chip they are using and my G4 have about the same power consumption, so I'm not sure what there is not to like about it. Do you read byte code all the time and really don't like the endian change? (valid, but weird)

Yeah power consumption is my worry, as they seem to have left out of the tech specs the battery life... suspicious...

bug

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2004
Vancouver, BC
MacRumorUser said:
Yeah power consumption is my worry, as they seem to have left out of the tech specs the battery life... suspicious...

Worries me a bit too really, but the CPU power usage is similar from any documents I can find, so in theory it should be fine.

Certainly is a worry that they don't have those specs available, but it could be just because it is so new and they haven't had enough time to test usage under a variety of conditions (which makes me worry for entirely different reasons ;) ).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.