Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kinotto

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2018
Long story short, a colleague was reaching for a folder on a high shelf in the office and kept her balance putting her hand ( with all her weight behind, even though she weights less than 60kg) on my MacBook Pro 15” 2018, lid closed.

There’s no apparent damage but I’m paranoid, so I wonder if anyone had similar experiences? Are recent MacBooks resilient to such pressures applied to the lid?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Nothing like that has happened to me, but if there is no visible physical damage, then you can move on.
I suspect that you have nothing like a liquid spill, that might take a few hours, or even a few days, before there's any kind of noticeable result (power shuts off, keys stop working, etc), whereas putting a lot of weight would be immediately noticeable.
The LCD display might be cracked, or the hinge can be knocked out of alignment, things like that would be immediately visible.
If you don't see anything, then it's all good. Forget about it, and move on. (Well, don't leave your closed laptop in harm's way... :cool: )

Reactions: Kinotto

Kinotto

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2018
Nothing like that has happened to me, but if there is no visible physical damage, then you can move on.
I suspect that you have nothing like a liquid spill, that might take a few hours, or even a few days, before there's any kind of noticeable result (power shuts off, keys stop working, etc), whereas putting a lot of weight would be immediately noticeable.
The LCD display might be cracked, or the hinge can be knocked out of alignment, things like that would be immediately visible.
If you don't see anything, then it's all good. Forget about it, and move on. (Well, don't leave your closed laptop in harm's way... :cool: )

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
There’s no evidence of damage and no creepy noises when the accident happened so it should be fine

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I bought two cheap vertical MBP stands and they are great. I connect them to KVMs in the office and it frees up a lot of desk space. I plan to get two of them for my home office too. I'd be pretty annoyed if someone did that on one of my MBPs. It's kind of like getting your new card dinged in a shopping lot.

Kinotto

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2018
I bought two cheap vertical MBP stands and they are great. I connect them to KVMs in the office and it frees up a lot of desk space. I plan to get two of them for my home office too. I'd be pretty annoyed if someone did that on one of my MBPs. It's kind of like getting your new card dinged in a shopping lot.

Vertical stands could avoid this kind of issues but, like in this occasion, I move between various buildings, so besides my own office I cannot have this kind of setups when I’m visiting other sites.
Probably would be best to use my company-issued laptop, but working on windows machines is so inconvenient for me that I often opt for using my personal MBP (files management with tags is so good on MacOS it makes me way more efficient).
What’s disappointing is how careless sometimes people is when dealing with tech, I would never even think to lay a finger on someone else’s laptop, imagine using it as a support to reach high shelves

Reactions: Jeffois

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Vertical stands could avoid this kind of issues but, like in this occasion, I move between various buildings, so besides my own office I cannot have this kind of setups when I’m visiting other sites.
Probably would be best to use my company-issued laptop, but working on windows machines is so inconvenient for me that I often opt for using my personal MBP (files management with tags is so good on MacOS it makes me way more efficient).
What’s disappointing is how careless sometimes people is when dealing with tech, I would never even think to lay a finger on someone else’s laptop, imagine using it as a support to reach high shelves

There are lots of people that are careless with tech and other things in life. I have door dings in my cars to prove it.

My company started giving employees the choice between Windows and Mac laptops back in 2015. Maybe you could lobby management to do the same. I didn't think that it would ever happen but part of it was because a lot of employees wanted them and a lot of prospective new hires had them.

Kinotto

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2018
There are lots of people that are careless with tech and other things in life. I have door dings in my cars to prove it.

My company started giving employees the choice between Windows and Mac laptops back in 2015. Maybe you could lobby management to do the same. I didn't think that it would ever happen but part of it was because a lot of employees wanted them and a lot of prospective new hires had them.

I am in management myself, so I could go straight up to my director and request to change system. The problem is that I must have a windows machine anyway as most of our client’s IT don’t support Mac, and I don’t see him approving this avoidable expense, for how marginal the cost may be, just because of my personal preference.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I am in management myself, so I could go straight up to my director and request to change system. The problem is that I must have a windows machine anyway as most of our client’s IT don’t support Mac, and I don’t see him approving this avoidable expense, for how marginal the cost may be, just because of my personal preference.

That is one downside of the Corporate Mac. You often have to do your own support. And I'm often the person that people ask for support health. But I'm very happy with my Mac in my work environment. It gels better with our development model (we mainly work in Linux).

eternal_flame07

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2021
Apparently my dad accidentally put 5kgs of weight on my MacBook Pro 2017 for about 20 mins
and I have seen no physical damage and deformity yet is it fine or I am just being paranoid about my
MacBook pro? do its display bend or not? I have not seen as such

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.