Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsusser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Medellín, Colombia
What's the most you would spend to fix an iPhone Xs with 512gb? I'm in South America and my US warranty was voided, or they ended it after a year. It needs new front glass, and has problems with the telephone volume and bluetooth. I just posted about the latter 2 issues. Apple phone support wasn't able to help and I'm taking it in for service tomorrow, or at least to get an estimate. It is in good condition otherwise, i.e., no dings.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019
Wait until the estimate. I would say some of that they may not even be able to fix. Hard to put a dollar value on it. A refurb from Apple is a thousand bucks a mint condition one on swappa is between 6 and 700. I wouldn’t come right out and say it is definitely not worth fixing like above poster. It would be well worth a couple hundred dollars for sure.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I agree with @BasicGreatGuy. That repair (if they can even do it with original Apple parts) is going to be expensive. I have no idea of the availability of Apple products in S. America or their cost, but you would be better off buying a new phone.

Reactions: brixtonboy

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
If you go to an Apple Store for service, they will replace your phone, whether you pay for it or not. They can replace the screen, but they don't really do such individual repairs like telephone volume or bluetooth, not that I know of.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I'd look at how much I can sell the broken phone for locally. Then how much a used one in good condition costs. If the repair costs more than the difference in value. The repair is not worth it.

I couldn't say how much I'd pay specifically. Since I don't know your local market. Just that electronics often cost more in South America.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
If it is still useable for a short while, get a new iPhone 12 then sell the old one for parts.

If it fails or is not useable, I’d get a refurb or an iPhone SE 2, whatever maintains the best resale value in your area, probably the SE 2, then get the 12 and sell the SE 2, and the Xs for parts. You might come out fairly well money-wise, though it may require some ‘up front’ money.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
If you go to an Apple Store for service, they will replace your phone, whether you pay for it or not.

He's in South America. There are no Apple Stores in South America. However, there are probably Authorized Apple Repair Facilities and sellers. He can try there, but they are usually more expensive.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
He's in South America. There are no Apple Stores in South America. However, there are probably Authorized Apple Repair Facilities and sellers. He can try there, but they are usually more expensive.
If they're Authorized, they're pretty much the same thing as going to the Apple Store. They can still replace your phone or order genuine parts, but the repair itself, they still won't do specific ones. They will either offer him a display replacement or a whole phone replacement, but he has to pay for it.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
What's the most you would spend to fix an iPhone Xs with 512gb? I'm in South America and my US warranty was voided, or they ended it after a year. It needs new front glass, and has problems with the telephone volume and bluetooth. I just posted about the latter 2 issues. Apple phone support wasn't able to help and I'm taking it in for service tomorrow, or at least to get an estimate. It is in good condition otherwise, i.e., no dings.
Wait for the estimate for the repair. And check out if Apple does an "out of warranty repair". Which isn't really a "repair", they take your phone plus some cash, and give you an identical refurbished phone, new screen, new battery. Another alternative is checking how much you can get on eBay for the same phone in the same condition.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If I break my smart phone, I’m not spending anything. I’d rather just trade it in ‘damaged’ or purchase a new one. Why would I do that? Because I don’t trust any other third-party repair, unless it’s Apple directly making the repair. Also, let’s be realistic, if you drop a smart phone and it breaks, you’re likely going to exceed the cost of the phone itself with the repairs if you don’t have a warranty/AppleCare. The majority of consumers probably don’t opt for AppleCare, simply because it just adds to the bill of what they probably already on the phone.

Reactions: rui no onna

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
But you must have access to Apple via the internet? I've had a quick look and most countries in South America have access.
So, you go to the support page and it'll tell you how much it is and where to send it.
They arrange for a box to be dropped off then for it to be picked up.
It's all very up front and it's Apple.
I've found even if they have to replace the phone the prices are reasonable. I dropped a 6+ in a swimming pool in 2016 when it was only weeks old It was about €900 euros at the time and they gave me a new phone for €350 and I did do it exactly that way

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.