Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
$49 Upgrade version
$99 iLife 11 + Lion Bundle

Apple said that the reason Snow Leopard was cheap was because it the changes were not as major as a normal OS. Hence the name Snow Leopard includes the name as the previous one. Lion is going to be fairly big I think. They haven't even announce a tenth of what they have planned I think, there are plenty of major features they have not announced.

sheepopo39

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2008
I haven feeling that it won't be $29. instead, I think it'll be in-between $29 and $129, something like $79.

cav23j

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
well iWork is listed as $60 once the mac app store launch's
$20 for each app (Pages, Keynote, Numbers)
so either they are dropping the price from $79 to $60 for iWork 09 or that's iWork 11 and it will be priced at $60

$79 sounds about right for Lion

o'glory

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2010
Canada
I predict that they won't be as generous with the cheap price anymore.. but personally I don't see much of an upgrade here so far. The App-Store Application will be available, as for iLife '11 with is already available. I know it's still a developing project... but they're going to have to be a little understanding here. The $30 disk was truly awesome, I upgraded recently from Tiger, and I'm extremely happy. If it's under $50, I'd be happy to upgrade.

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Upgrade will be the price of a new computer. No support for older models. Ok not really but it feels that way sometimes...

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Upgrade will be the price of a new computer. No support for older models. Ok not really but it feels that way sometimes...

what??

Lordedmond

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Tilchestune UK

I have got to agree with this

remove the superdrive to save money , install the OS on a WORM chip ( Write Once Read Many ) so it cannot be updated hence you want the latest and greatest OS you have to buy a new piece of hard ware
:cool:

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
I'm thinking Apple wants to get this to the masses. Lion represents the closed loop between iOS and Mac OSX. "Back to the Mac," "iPad hooks up with MBP," "multi-touch gestures," "full screen apps." Basically, Jobs and company will now have a semi-contained environment across all platforms.

Apple has been clear it's heading in the direction of a completely integrated user experience from one platform to the other. Remember when iMovie came to the iPhone 4?

I think they will be aggressive to get this in as many hands as possible to close this loop.

I predict $49 upgrade, $79 full version.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
$49 Upgrade version
$99 iLife 11 + Lion Bundle

Apple said that the reason Snow Leopard was cheap was because it the changes were not as major as a normal OS. Hence the name Snow Leopard includes the name as the previous one. Lion is going to be fairly big I think. They haven't even announce a tenth of what they have planned I think, there are plenty of major features they have not announced.

There were big features in SL but they were aimed at developers not clients mostly. So it was cheap so lots and lots of clients would take it up and give the developers the incentive to use those features.

You'd also have to look at installed base of machine to spread the cost of development over which as the first intel only major feature release. The numbers from the back to mac event would suggest the installed base of Intel Macs is at least double that Macs at the last feature release. They haven't doubled the number of engineers so the price isn't going to be as high as the old full release.

I think your on the money at $49
But could see it as high as $79
With Lion iWorks iLife bundle on Apple USB at$99 to $129

I think it'll be on a encrypted USB any way then all the futures releases will be over the network.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
I hope it's gonna be 29 bucks , just like SL. But , I see a very good possibility that its going to be 100 or over. Simply because Snow Leopard was sort of an extension of leopard. While Lion seems entirely new, in some respects.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Summer 2011.

Fall 2011. It's the typical cycle. Super small preview the summer before. Show of a few things that relate to the event (wwdc for snow leopard showed under the hood stuff, preview for lion showed stuff that was related to the event). WWDC before fall release a thorough preview showing innards that were changed, features, show new gui, etc. Then Jobs says "Release this Fall". It's pretty much how it goes.

Edit: I know they say summer of 2011 which to them pretty much means August/September. But I'm sure I'll be completely wrong and they'll release it soon after WWDC so probably sometime in July so that all (or most) back to school purchases will get the new OS.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
what do you think the min ram will be

I'd say min. will be 2GB. But I wouldn't put it past them to offer 1GB. The last thing that they sold 1GB that comes to mind was the April 09 mini. I might be wrong about that, but I think ~2 year spacing is a good amount to say, sorry upgrade to 2GB, which a 1GB stick by then won't be much, so not a big deal.

hachre

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2007
Then why was Leopard priced at 129 dollars?

Because the $99 Developer program didn't exist when Leopard was released.

I believe it will be $29 again, Apple earns their money through hardware sales.

Last edited:

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
I'd say min. will be 2GB. But I wouldn't put it past them to offer 1GB. The last thing that they sold 1GB that comes to mind was the April 09 mini. I might be wrong about that, but I think ~2 year spacing is a good amount to say, sorry upgrade to 2GB, which a 1GB stick by then won't be much, so not a big deal.

Yes I agree, hardware specs are moving up very quickly. I'd say Apple mostly sells Macs with 4 GB RAM.

Mike225

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
SF BAY

I cant see them charging much no matter what they add considering the chances that if you upgrade you will feed them money by buying their "apps" in their appstore.

hachre

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2007

I cant see them charging much no matter what they add considering the chances that if you upgrade you will feed them money by buying their "apps" in their appstore.

That's actually a very good point I hadn't thought of yet. iOS updates are free. They make more than enough from the AppStore. Mac OS updates might become free as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.