Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
I recently did an erase and install on my PB, but before that, I backed up all of my data to my PC over my G network [Took a while]...

Today, after my PC's weekly virus scan™ the Norton Anti-Virus went crazy, finding a ton of viruses on my PC, a total of 12 to be exact...

All originating from the folder which my PB was backed up on...

WTF? :confused:
PBvirus.jpg

My PB was backed up on a per-file basis, and not one large disk image. I backed up everything including my Library folder and Apps...

I don't get it... Anyone know what could be causing this? Why would my PB have viruses in it?

iSaint

macrumors 603
Normal email and web use I would assume. The viruses just aren't going to hurt your PB because they aren't effective on Mac's Unix based OS. Some on this forum would suggest having a virus scan program on your Mac just to protect your friends from receiving malicious emails. My ISP filters SPAM and viruses, so I'm pretty fortunate in that regard.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
I find it funny! I get countless virus emails through one of my old ISP email addresses. Of course, on a mac you can open them, play with them, do anything!

However, now you've moved them onto you PC, they probably aren't infecting anything because you haven't directly opened them, but they do exist in those files as you can see.

Best thing is to delete them, as you don't want to contribute to email viruses but as for a threat to your mac, you are very safe!

ShortCutMan

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2005
Its some Java stuff, because I get that on my PC too, WITHOUT using Java at all! Doesn't seem to do anything though.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
kingjr3 said:

Reminds me of a guy on our local radio station complaining about getting an internet dialer which dialed up some foreign country. I did some nosing around online about it and found out you can only get it on those "naughty" sites or if you are looking for cracked software. Seeing as he was stupid enough to not know he was infected i don't think he was looking for hacked software :) So basically he told everyone he was looking at naughty images :)

EDIT: Just to avoid a big argument about this, i don't know for certain that this was how the virus came to be on said person's PC but all the information i found pointed to it.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
TBi said:
Reminds me of a guy on our local radio station complaining about getting an internet dialer which dialed up some foreign country. I did some nosing around online about it and found out you can only get it on those "naughty" sites or if you are looking for cracked software. Seeing as he was stupid enough to not know he was infected i don't think he was looking for hacked software :) So basically he told everyone he was looking at naughty images :)
Geez... you never were tempted to click on one of those banner ads that say "Free iPod" or "Check your machine for viruses" or anything else -- even one of the web pages that you get when you mis-type a domain name and get a ad-spew site rather than the place you were intending?

Odd to assume that malware distributors would be honest...

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I know, i thought of that too. The point is that the country it was calling was used by malware on certain sites. Maybe there were pop ups that linked to these sites but everything i found pointed to those specific sites.

However, for the sake of not creating a big old argument about this. The person could have gotten the link from any site but it's my belief that it came from certain sites.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
adk said:
Macs are like monkeys. They just carry viruses around wherever they go and just keep on eating bananas.

For some reason that made me spit out my drink.

Nice to know our computers of choice are disease carriers waiting to infect the hapless Wintel box.

;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
xPismo said:
Nice to know our computers of choice are disease carriers waiting to infect the hapless Wintel box.

Well, save your dart gun...Mac users can only be a vector for a virus like this under very unusual circumstances...

1) You get the virus through .class files from a Java applet because you load a page that has the applet in it.

2) They stay on the mac until they get deleted from the cache.

3) End of story.

That's the normal progression. The virus does not have effect on the Mac, so it can't replicate its code into other files. The class files normally have no reason to ever get off the Mac onto another computer, because they're just crap in the cache.

The only reason blaskillet ever even detected the virus was because the whole hard disk was copied over to the PC for backup.

Under normal circumstances Mac users wouldn't contribute to the spread of this virus.

BTW... so I still don't seem to hear of viruses being spread through .class files... aren't there some protections in place for that? :(

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
adk said:
Macs are like monkeys. They just carry viruses around wherever they go and just keep on eating bananas.

lol, very amusing analogy.

Interesting though, this idea of Macs becoming a Windows-virus cesspool. Great to know our Macs can be used as terrorist WMDs...insert into PC network and BAM!

:cool: Apple 4eva

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.