Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
I’m waiting for Apple to release a Dick Tracy watch with FaceTime

ff451aaa4cbb27b381d7256d2a46fc52.jpg

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I'll keep using my S6 until it loses support. It'll need a new battery soon though. After 3 years it's at 79% health and mostly works fine, but when I go running in cold weather it sometimes dies after about 1 1/2 hours and before the battery is actually drained.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
Came here thinking this was a software question.

Still using a Series 7 here and while I'm starting to get irritated with how slow it is, I think that is just Apple Watch in general. Anxious to see if Apple's generative AI efforts do anything to boost Apple Watch performance.

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
I also own a Series 6, had the Series 1 before that. I will get a new battery for the S6 next week. Supposed to cost $99. Besides the battery, it still works great.

If the new Watch generation later this year is compelling AND I have the funds in my budget, I would like to get that one for daytime use and the S6 would become my dedicated "nightwatch" for sleep tracking. But if the new one is not that great or I don't want to spend the money, I will also be happy just keeping the S6 around and waiting for another generation.

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
I've been upgrading yearly since the 4. But I'm not keen to upgrade this year unless something wow's me.

Currently have Ultra 2 purchased before ban and re-release.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
S0 SS -> S6 Titanium

Not sure when I’ll upgrade. The S6 was a wedding present. The Ti finish (along with Ti link bracelet) perfectly matched my cufflinks and palladium wedding band… so it’s got sentimental value that makes me want to hold off as long as possible.

curnalpanic

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2008
go:teborg
I went from Series 3 to Series 9 last fall, after 5-and-a-half years of use. Huge upgrade. The battery in the old one was really bad towards the end.

Trying to determine if it is worth upgrading yet. Currently have a Series 6.
How does the 6 hold up compared to the latest iterations? I think it still receives watchOS updates, right? If so, the newer watch would only be faster and maybe have additional hardware features which you may or may not care about.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
My first AW was the S5, had original plans to keep it four-five years, but when the Ultra came I upgraded since it solved all my minor niggles with the AW. Depending on what's released I'll keep my U1 for another two or three years.

tbolt11

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
I plan on using my series 4 til it stops telling the time. Probably will get a nice mechanical or quartz watch next.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
I'm on an SE1 right now and will likely look into a Series 10 (or X) when it launches this fall, mostly because the battery on mine is showing its age. Four years seems like a pretty good long life for me SE1 and I can still use for things I wouldn't want to have the newer watch on for (like doing yardwork or other activities that could damage the new one).

LaysC

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2022
I just upgraded from a Series 7 to the Ultra 2 this week - the battery on my S7 had gone down to about 80%, and wasn't really going full day for me anymore, so went ahead and got it traded in.

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
0, 3, 8.

Essentially when my current one is no longer supported.

tolili alert

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
Series 7 is my current and only Apple Watch.

This year, if we see a fourth gen HR sensor maybe with 24/7 readings (it's time...), I'll buy the new model on day one. No doubt about it.

I purchased my Series 7 on launch day. Las summer, Apple replace it because the speaker was failing, so my Series 7 is pretty new.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

scrapesleon

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2017
Jamaica
just got rid of my series 4 was using it for 5 years had the series 1 used that for about 2 years before waiting on the Apple Watch 10 in September

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
Still using my first one (also THE first Apple Watch). Well it’s not actually the same watch I bought; when I asked for a new battery, Apple sent a new one.

Ta_whirimatea

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2023
Series 0, 3 & currently 6 (all on their release days). I’m looking to see what this years ones bring but think they again are gonna be incremental updates.

I’d go either S10 if new design & battery doubled or Ultra 3 if bezels reduced & battery doubled.

I don’t need cellular function, tbh I don’t need 50% of the functions on these watches & i’m fed up charging every 18hours.

For me Apple needs to do 1 hardware improvement & 2 software improvement.
- double battery life (at least)
- ability to sync with ipad
- create a dedicated ‘garmin connect’ like app for storing detailed workout metrics that can be viewed on the Mac or iPad. Current methods (iPhone) isnt fit for purpose.

Am tempted to go Garmin fenix 7pro solar if no big AW update but garmin watch faces suck.

Garmin needs only to create an appealing user interface & I’d splash the cash.

Last edited:

Smartwatchlover

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
Rome
I was used to change it every 2-3 years but today I'm still on S6 (despite the battery efficiency is now down to 79% and the screen is not as responsive as it was on day 1) because I cannot change the watch without seeing what will be released in September with the long waited Apple Watch X (and the quite absolute lack of rumors regarding it sounds very encouraging to me)!

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Previously, I would update about every 2 years and you sort of noticed some difference. I have had the series 0, 2, 4, 6 and 7. But I bought I titanium series 7 and don't really want to change it now. I noticed the biggest jump from series 2 to 4 and surprisingly, i did notice a jump from 6 to 7, maybe because of the screen size? but I've been happy with my 7 apart from the battery and it being a bit slow at times. The battery is at 80% and i've been waiting since about November for it to dip down to 79!

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I started with a 6, and went to a 7.
Currently still have the 7.
Battery life is a little lower of course, but otherwise it seems to do everything I need. I reached a point a couple of years back where I will no longer upgrade my iDevices yearly considering the tech in them seems to have peaked and the upgrades just don't justify the added expense any more.

Reactions: TorontoSS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.