Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Lately every year (iPad Pro 12.9, iPad Pro 10.5) but I think I’ll hold onto this one for at least 3 years.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
Initially every 2 years:

- original iPad in spring 2010;
- iPad 3 a couple years later in 2012;
- iPad Air either late 2013 or early 2014...
- iPad Pro 12.9" (first gen) fall of 2015;
- iPad Pro 9.7" (first gen) spring 2016 (clearly had some extra money this year).

I'm still using the first gen Pros, so I've passed 3 years since my last purchase (coming up on 4 since the 12.9").

2 thoughts on why I've gone longer this time:

- the Pro devices are significantly more expensive than the original iPad line. (considering I have a pathological need for the highest storage capacity available... hold-over from my days of wanting my whole music library on my devices or maximum storage for movies and such). I also prefer the 12.9" size, so while some of the newer, non-pro iPads can probably run circles around my old 12.9, they have smaller screens :p

- these are also so good that the experience of using them doesn't really make me wish / want for something faster / better.

So, It's been 8 months since the most recent Pros were announced and I'm playing that game of "will they do a spec update in October" which is now just 4 months away-- or will they follow recent Pro trends and do 15-16 months between releases. Willpower is holding up pretty well right now despite how tempting the 3rd gen Pro has been... October is close enough in proximity to the iPad OS public release that I can wait.

Besides, it's been 8 years since I bought a Mac... I need to address that issue first :p
[doublepost=1560987475][/doublepost]I think phone upgrades still have me somewhat programmed for a 2 year cycle, though Apple has talked me into a 1 year cycle there with their Upgrade program. I'd probably do an iPad upgrade program in a heartbeat if Apple offered one-- but I think they'd probably have to commit to an annual release cycle like they have with their phone to offer something like that.

I've also begun doing an Apple Watch every 2 years. (2nd gen and 4th gen).

I might need professional help.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
So far, as I’ve only owned two iPads (iPad 3 and Mini 5), it’s been when the old one reached the end of its useful life (app support dropping.) I didn’t use the iPad enough in the first few years I had it to justify upgrading a couple of years in, but as I’ve used it much more in the past few years, it was worth getting a new one.

I was tempted by the 9.7” 6th Gen earlier in the cycle, but held out for the Mini and probably would have tried to make it until 2020 had they not updated when they did, as I knew I’d kick myself if one came out. Always liked the form factor but hadn’t long bought my iPad when they came out.

I’m now firmly sold on the Mini form factor so if the next release is in 3 years, maybe every update if the features are worth it to me.

cinnabun814

Suspended
Apr 2, 2018
I'm still on the first generation 12.9". Was thinking about selling my MacBook Pro and going iOS only but i'm not sure. I only browse the web, listen to music, and pay bills.

Reactions: Matcha

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I'll upgrade when I can do more than what my iPad allows me to do. I got my first iPad, an Air, in early 2016 that was used 100% just to watch Youtube, Netflix, etc and play a few games like Hearthstone. For those purposes it was perfect and did it quickly and smoothly. Had I not wanted to do more with it I could still be using it today.

When the iPad Pro 10.5 came out I was currently using some HP 2-in-1 that was so annoying and unreliable hardware and software-wise. So I decided I wanted something that just never messed up, like my iPad Air. But I needed something faster to do that, and split screen etc. The 10.5 also had so many big upgrades : screen, speakers, RAM, CPU, multitasking on and on. All the changes enabled me to draw, write, and browse the web in addition to what I did before, and now after almost two years since I bought it it's replaced my need for a PC/Mac except for gaming and coding. For now I see no reason to upgrade anytime soon, unless World of Warcraft and Xcode end up on the iPad.

TL;DR No real answer, all depends on what software is available on iOS that allows me to do more of my everyday work and hobbies. More things like Xcode and real console-quality games = more powerful model + bigger screen needed.

philosophree

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2016
original, 2, 3, mini 2, air 2, 10.5 pro, currently mini 5. each time i upgrade i would sell my ipad to my younger brother with a family discount and then his ipad would go down to our mom. the only exception was the mini 2, which my partner kept.

the next time i plan on upgrading is probably if a new mini comes out with enough of an upgrade. it's definitely my favorite form factor. it's my main personal computing device.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
It was every year when I had just the original iPad now that I have the iPad Pro probably every 3-4 years unless something really strikes me to buy

Reactions: NewWaveGuy

SteveOfTheStow

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2018
London, UK
Got the original iPad in early 2011, and switched it out in 2013 for the original iPad Air, a gap of over 2.5 years. The Air was a worthwhile upgrade over the iPad, but both were arguably underpowered.

The Air I've made last until this year, though I haven't really used it for the past couple of years as it was slow. Finally the Air 3 came out and I decided I'd upgrade; really pleased with it and the internals should mean it's useful for a lot longer than the two I owned before. So that was a gap of about 4.5 years. Not really wanting to replace this one for 5 years, now.

pward

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2008
I had original iPad, then iPad 3, then iPad Air 2, each bought pretty much as they were released. I've had the Air 2 since the end of 2014.

My use case doesn't need or justify anything more, but I have just bought a iPad Pro 11" and the upgrade is certainly worth it.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
On average, every 4-5 years. I bought the original iPad (2010), iPad 4 (2012), and iPad Pro 10.5 (2017). I’ll keep this 10.5 until it’s too slow to use, doesn’t support the apps I use/has significant feature support loss, or breaks.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
With the product capabilities today, I think the purchase cycle is extending. For me, I had the original iPad when it came out, then upgraded to the iPad 2, then the 1st gen Air, then the 10.5" pro which is what, 2 years old at this point?

As much as I wanted to buy the new 11" Pro last year, adding in the cost of a new pencil, keyboard, etc and you're spending well over a grand. The 10.5" doesn't give me any problems and I'm not using it as a primary or work machine where I'd *need* more power or speed. Perhaps when iPads are updated next I'll upgrade, but I'm no longer in a rush.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I have had every Wifi revision of the iPad apart from the mini 3 and the latest 12.9 since I have settled on a single 11 Pro. I plan to keep this longer and only upgrade when there is a proper increase in RAM.

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
I have 2018 9.7-inch iPad but I strongly think about upgrading to 12.9-inch iPad Pro when iPadOS will be working as intended. I would be using it for camera tethering, some basic Lightroom workflow, Sidecar (as tablet for Photoshop) and content consumption. But I will probably wait until next year cause I still need to pay final payment for my car (and I will see where iPadOS 14 will take us).

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Initially every 2 years:

- iPad Pro 9.7" (first gen) spring 2016 (clearly had some extra money this year).

I'm still using the first gen Pros, so I've passed 3 years since my last purchase (coming up on 4 since the 12.9").

- the Pro devices are significantly more expensive than the original iPad line. (considering I have a pathological need for the highest storage capacity available... hold-over from my days of wanting my whole music library on my devices or maximum storage for movies and such). I also prefer the 12.9" size, so while some of the newer, non-pro iPads can probably run circles around my old 12.9, they have smaller screens :p

- these are also so good that the experience of using them doesn't really make me wish / want for something faster / better.

So, It's been 8 months since the most recent Pros were announced and I'm playing that game of "will they do a spec update in October" which is now just 4 months away-- or will they follow recent Pro trends and do 15-16 months between releases. Willpower is holding up pretty well right now despite how tempting the 3rd gen Pro has been... October is close enough in proximity to the iPad OS public release that I can wait.

Besides, it's been 8 years since I bought a Mac... I need to address that issue first :p
[doublepost=1560987475][/doublepost]I think phone upgrades still have me somewhat programmed for a 2 year cycle, though Apple has talked me into a 1 year cycle there with their Upgrade program. I'd probably do an iPad upgrade program in a heartbeat if Apple offered one-- but I think they'd probably have to commit to an annual release cycle like they have with their phone to offer something like that.

Initially every 2 years:

I think i need more professional help than you do lol

I upgrade my phone every year and tend to upgrade my Apple Watch every year and i have two iPad pros which may seem overkill but the 11 inch for work works well and the bigger 12.9 for at home use gets equal usage.

I will be keeping my 11 inch pro for 3 years as i got it through sky here so i can keep it or return it and get a new model.

I said i may upgrade the 12.9 every year but depends on the features and money wise it’s not wise upgrading my phone, watch and iPad every year but i can’t help myself.

But if there is one product i may start to not upgrade each time is the 12.9 iPad as for what i use it for it works great and lets face it the iPad will not slow down anytime soon and the upgrade is so small generally from iPad to iPad. It’s hard to see as it stands what apple can improve it enough on the next gen of iPads i must admit.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
If I am buying, typically every other model. But since my company has started creating mobile apps a few years ago, they have been reimbursing me so I now get one each new release to test things on.

UbuntuFu

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
I've own the original iPad. Replaced it with the 9.7 iPad Pro, that was 3 years ago, so I estimate replacing this 9.7 iPP in 3 years for a 6 year cycle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.