Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Every year I upgrade 3 phones.

I get the 10% discount:
$999 becomes $899 each total = $2700 ish plus a bunch of tax.

At the end of a year they trade in for $600 - $650 (Apple) each, return: $1800 ish.
New iPhone costs about $300 each.

• Wow
Reactions: anselpela and Slix

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I used to upgrade every 2nd year but that stopped with the iPhone 12 Pro Max which I will hold onto for yet another year since it is still getting all the iOS 17 features. I am actually impressed Apple no longer limits certain features to the latest device

Reactions: rain111

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Every 2.5 to 5.5 years. When I upgrade, I buy the max capacity Apple offers for that model - because I want it and I only upgrade every 2.5 to 5.5 years.

As of 2021, I am now upgrading to 2 or 3 models behind the current or soon to be released iPhone.

Old iPhones are not traded in, they are put to different purposes.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
I used to do every few years, I went from an 8+ to a 12PM and then to 14PM. I have T-Mobile and I signed up for their insurance on my 14PM so I could upgrade to the 15PM/ultra/whatever after a year, when it’s released. My brain likes new tech so upgrading every year is an idea I like. I do a lot of photo and video so I want to have the best camera possible. I’m excited to upgrade this fall :) I get the carrier financing so all I pay is upfront tax on the device, I could never afford to buy the phone outright—I know that would be the best thing to do, but at the end of the day I am still poor lol

alexcue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
every year at launch, part of the iPhone Upgrade Program. I use my phones hard, new case and I'm good to go for another year. Business write off

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Can I upgrade every ten years? It is just too much work otherwise
What do you mean by 'can you'?

I suspect you mean 'can I use my current iPhone for 10 years and then upgrade', but IDK. You could be seeking our permission to do that, or you could be asking if Apple will allow you to that.

🤷‍♂️

You can do what you want. If you want to stay on the same phone for ten years, that's really none of our business.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You should upgrade every 3 years apple want’s you to upgrade your devices on a regular basis .
Is that sarcasm, or just what you think is correct?

I ask, because I'm not someone who just does whatever anyone wants because they say so.

Apple may want me to upgrade, but they don't get to decide that for me.

Clamjuice65

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2023
Is that sarcasm, or just what you think is correct?

I ask, because I'm not someone who just does whatever anyone wants because they say so.

Apple may want me to upgrade, but they don't get to decide that for me.
Oh no that’s what apple wants or hopes for .

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
I usually upgrade every 3 years and bought the newest iPhone day one.

But since evolution of iPhone is slower than before, I think upgrading iPhone every 4 years is a great compromise between cost and real quality of life improvements while upgrading.
I have an iPhone 12 and plan to wait 4 years total this time before upgrading because my phone is perfectly smooth and functional, except 120 Hz I don't miss much relevant features from the latest

Reactions: Djken

Djken

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2021
I always switch to a newer model with a two-year telephone subscription, even if it is not necessary. Gadget freak 🤓 My employer also gives me the latest samsung tablet and phone. It gives me a sort of dopamine kick 🫣

hch720

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
Every year for me. This is the only thing I splurge on. I don’t really spend on clothes, shoes, vacations, other gadgets, etc outside of what is necessary because those don’t interest me. Life is short, enjoy it with what you love. For me, that is the yearly glass rectangle.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I have to upgrade every year to avoid getting bored with the current model. As a photographer (hobby and some business), I want the best camera upgrade. Using the same iPhone for more than one year gets old. I don’t understand how some people keep the same iPhone for 3-5 years… why?? I suppose for most, it’s just a phone and most hardly use it for photos and video.

Desertdan

Suspended
Jun 3, 2023
I have to upgrade every year to avoid getting bored with the current model. As a photographer (hobby and some business), I want the best camera upgrade. Using the same iPhone for more than one year gets old. I don’t understand how some people keep the same iPhone for 3-5 years… why?? I suppose for most, it’s just a phone and most hardly use it for photos and video.
You don’t “have to”

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Depends on the model, e.g. might not make sense to upgrade from 14 Pro to 15 Pro given how minor the difference is.

Typically no more than 3 years.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I left iPhone long ago and went over to Samsung Galaxy. I would upgrade about every 2 years or every other model number. I have since returned to iPhone (13 pro max) and will likely remain it another year and a half or two.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I left iPhone long ago and went over to Samsung Galaxy. I would upgrade about every 2 years or every other model number. I have since returned to iPhone (13 pro max) and will likely remain it another year and a half or two.
Samsung makes some great hardware. I wish they would get off their ass and build their own OS. SamsungOS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.