Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Using airdrop?

• Every day

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • ~Once a week

Votes: 24 11.2%
  • ~Once a month

Votes: 53 24.7%
  • Never

Votes: 132 61.4%

• Total voters

Semester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Airdrop seems like a decent feature, but to date I have still not used it. Partly because I don't know if my friends have compatible hardware but I guess mostly because there simply has never been a time when I've thought about using airdrop.

Do you use it?

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Never use it because of one of the following reasons:

1. Its not always convenient
  2. The other person has an older iPhone which doesnt support AirDrop
  3. The person is not a 'techie' and has never heard of AirDrop and/or how to use it
  4. I cant AirDrop things to my Mac

Last edited:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I used Airdrop once to show someone how it worked.

I'm disappointed that the Airdrop on Mac OS can't "talk" with the Airdrop on iOS. If it did I would have used it more often.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
never, I don't understand the point of it when you can just simply send whatever it is through a text instead

Because Texting/iMessage doesn't always send the full quality version of what you're sending. Typically, if you text a picture, it will send a less-quality compressed image to the other phone. With Airdrop, it's like using a USB drive, the full quality image is sent.

It's convenient if you have to AirDrop someone a 9 minute HD video you took on your iPhone, rather than sending an iMessage (which first has to upload to Apple's server, then be downloaded to the person's iPhone).

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
Because Texting/iMessage doesn't always send the full quality version of what you're sending. Typically, if you text a picture, it will send a less-quality compressed image to the other phone. With Airdrop, it's like using a USB drive, the full quality image is sent.

It's convenient if you have to AirDrop someone a 9 minute HD video you took on your iPhone, rather than sending an iMessage (which first has to upload to Apple's server, then be downloaded to the person's iPhone).

can't say I've noticed a difference in quality from the one I send to the source where it came from

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I never use it as I have no need for it. I did try it once with a friend just to see how it worked, but that was it.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
never, I don't understand the point of it when you can just simply send whatever it is through a text instead

Quality. messages compress photos and video.

Text also requires you to start typing a name from the share panel... AirDrop they pop up top to tap on.

The only negative is it takes like 3 seconds for devices to appear. Which seems like an eternity when your tapping around in iPhone.

AirDrop to Dell's around the office. That's never happening.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

The problem is that I can't remember the last time I needed to give media to just one person.

Using Dropbox is a hell of a lot more convenient than having 6 people stand around while I Airdrop to them one at a time.

I understand the theory of why and when Airdrop is better, I'm just saying that it has yet to happen to me.

The only negative is it takes like 3 seconds for devices to appear.

This is my other problem with Airdrop. It's never actually 3 seconds. My average in testing has always been more like 30 seconds. Asking a friend to stand there for half a minute while nothing happens is just embarrassing.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I've used it a total of one time. It worked great.

My wife and I happened to be standing next to each other - her with her iPhone and me with my iPad. I was telling her about a new custom iTunes radio custom station I liked, and sent it to her via AirDrop.

But other than that one instance I've never had an occasion to use it.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I don't use it much but I appreciate the ability to do it when I can. I will use it every day if they add support for Macs.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
[*]I cant AirDrop things to my Mac
[/LIST]

I'm disappointed that the Airdrop on Mac OS can't "talk" with the Airdrop on iOS. If it did I would have used it more often.

I will use it every day if they add support for Macs.

Same here. I’d be shocked if we didn’t see this in the next couple of OSX updates - it seems like a painfully conspicuous omission, and unless I’m missing something, doesn’t seem like there’s any kind of technical barrier.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
I'd use it frequently to transfer files from/to mac/iOS but that's not supprted.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Frankly the iPhone file support isn't big enough to worry about AirDrop.

Just use iMessage with limitless range. Pics in iMessage are full quality. And if you need to use SMS guess what? That phone isn't an iPhone so it doesn't support airdrop anyway.

That would be more useful for a competing company phone that can use a torrent and you want to transfer a multiple gb movie or something.

And airdrop on an iPhone doesn't work with airdrop on a Mac?!?! Really? I love Apple but this is an embarrassing subject for me. Lol

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I use it frequently to transfer photos & videos from my iPhone to my iPad.

I looked into PhotoStream and found that it will reduce the size/quality before sharing with the iPad.

You can get around that with a Shared PhotoStream. But that comes with it's own problems. Like being unable to download video.

So I've found AirDrop to be the quickest and easiest way to do that transfer.

timothybrabant

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2013
I used it to transfer a 7 minute video and it was perfect. There wouldn't really have been another option to share that size of a file if it wasn't for airdrop. Kudos

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.