Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
London
I keep a CoconutBattery to keep an eye on the battery, ofcourse.. It also tells me how old my mac is, in months... Is there a way to make it more precise? Or something else i can check to tell me exactly how many months and days old my mac is?

cApO

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
yeah why would you want to know more precisely?

it just looks at your serial number and give you the week, but in months and days, theres no other information on the computer telling it when it was built...

Yes, find the serial in System Profiler>Hardware>Serial Number

Take the serial and plug it in the bottom of the apple.com/support page at the "About Your Support Coverage" section and it will tell you when the machine was bought.

Umm...he wants to know why it was built NOT when he bought it:rolleyes:

he even bolded that in his post...

tell me exactly how many months and days old my mac is?

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
London
Um, look at your receipt?

Other than that, I can't think of anything, why is it so important?

It just was the only bit of info that i couldn't easily call up via the dashboard - i like to keep an eye on things so i've got stuff like coconutbattery, istat etc in there, thought i'd manage to find a widget that told me that info...

CaPo

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
London
Aaah!

Wondering about these things is a good thing after all! Now, it seems that coconutbattery is reporting the age of my mac based on something other than the actual machine age (i guess battery age lol), as i upgraded from my first MBPro to this one after a few months. The machine i had was only about three months old when i got this one, but i took my battery from the old one to the new one (long story involving getting the better machine but keeping my used battery). So the serial number via Apple's website is giving me a date that is months ahead of what coconutbattery is reporting. Good to know that the site also keeps track of these things, otherwise should something go wrong i'd be in deep trouble.

At ease my mind is now!

cApO

For the record, the apple website date is the correct one for the machine purchase date, and the coconut date is approximately correct for the age of the currently installed battery. The website dates might differ depending on when the transaction was actually processed at a certain stage in their shopping cart process, versus the day you clicked on the 'mac-me-now' button :D:D:D

cApO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.