Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilverLight300

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2016
I want to put my IOS phone on Offline mode.
So no body can find me using with Cell Towers or GPS.
I want to keep my phone on.

My Questions :

1. What is the best way for going to offline mode completely?
2. Can you explain me what airplane mode exactly do and in this mode can cell towers detect me?
3. How GPS works? (Does this function need sim card or not)?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Turning off the phone is the best way to go. If you really want to stay hidden, get rid of your iphone and get a phone without a GPS and basic 3G connection (seeing as 2G is going out)

Reactions: H3boy

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
GPS is one-way. Your phone receives GPS signals but doesn't transmit anything. That's why it still remains enabled when in aeroplane mode; no transmission is being made.

Your provider will be able to "see" your phone whenever it's connected to a tower.

Reactions: APlotdevice

SilverLight300

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2016
Thanks for the answers,
But i do n't want turn the phone off and i need some programs to work with.
First of all tell us when we are in airplane mode tower can connect to device and find it's location or not?
After that tell us can tower work with my disabled location services or not?
Please tell more details about gps and cell towers...
[doublepost=1470566342][/doublepost]When my phone connect to a cell tower.
Can my provider see me in airplane mode?

Thanks in advance

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Airplane mode (with wifi off) does not transmit any information. If you turn wifi on, your device could technically be located via the IP address issued by the Internet service provider.

As others have said, GPS is a series of satellites which transmit frequencies non-stop. Any device has been free to use it (once the government opened it up to the general public), to determine one's location through a form of triangulation, which is why a device must see several satellites to improve accuracy. GPS units, simply receive this signal.

Putting your phone in airplane mode, with wifi off, is the only way to use the device, without transmitting (airplane mode is the same as manually turning off cellular and wifi antennas in the menu).

Unless the government/Apple/Skynet has some way we all do not know about of locating devices without cellular or wifi antennas on...

SilverLight300

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2016
I think there is another dirty way and pro people here can tell us about that.
Let me know with Airplane mode->on tower-provider can see that status or not?
If yes, so they can see the location.
We are living in a fantastic world -> I hate iCloud -> I hate this tracking parts that i don't have access and i can't control.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Let me know with Airplane mode->on tower-provider can see that status or not?
If yes, so they can see the location.

I and others have already answered you... Airplane mode WITHOUT being connected to WiFi the answer is No. If you are in Airplane mode and you connect to a Wifi access point the answer is Yes (because access points provide you an IP address, so the Internet Service Provider can pin point you to the range of the access point).

If your phone has been hacked, then yes, they can make it seem like the antenna is off to you, while it is actually still on.

Reactions: SilverLight300

H3boy

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
Charlie West
Thanks for the answers,
But i do n't want turn the phone off and i need some programs to work with.
First of all tell us when we are in airplane mode tower can connect to device and find it's location or not?
After that tell us can tower work with my disabled location services or not?
Please tell more details about gps and cell towers...
[doublepost=1470566342][/doublepost]When my phone connect to a cell tower.
Can my provider see me in airplane mode?

Thanks in advance
You can not connect to a cell tower in airplane mode. May I ask what exactly will you be doing?

agentsmithone

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
California
Airplane mode, Wifi & Bluetooth off, Privacy> Location Services off, remove SIM card, Enable Do Not Track mode, Disable Share Diagnostic Info with Apple.

It's still possible to track a phone that off with a SIM card inside. Any more than this consider getting rid of your phone and using a Internet cafe terminal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.