Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I've been using Macs for 20 years and never had a major problem.

I need to know your secret. I got handy at repairing PCs because I've had to fix so many of my Macs because I've taken screwdrivers and spudgers to my Macs so often in the past. If any of my machines get to 4 years without needing some kind of repair, I congratulate myself on having terrific hardware luck.

I seem to be having better luck in more recent times though. I've had the best run of computer health I've ever had from 2019 to now.

So much of this is luck of the draw. I still have a 2009 Unibody in great working order, but I did need to replace a bad cable for the wireless card after 4 years of heavy use.

kodabear

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
I had a late model 2013 MBP 13" that's never had any issues. I gave it to my daughter and she is still is using it to this day and had no problems.

Reactions: calliex

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
I've been using Macs for 20 years and never had a major problem. The only issue I ever had involved the arm of a 27" Imac. It wouldn't hold the screen upright (after like 5 years). Applecare had expired but they fixed it for free anyway. It was a 2013 I think, which I had for 6-7 years.
I have been using Macs for 38 years with no problems. First Mac was the Mac Plus

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I'm still using a 2015 15" MBP. Still works well overall. But even simple things like watching youtube or even just the screensaver can make the fans kick into high gear. I'm thinking of finally upgrading but I don't know for sure what to get. Considering everything is soldered in now I want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck.

richardpage

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2014
I have a MBP 2023. It runs beautifully, no faults - touch wood... However, the 4Tb turns out to be not enough storage. Now I am offloading photographs and videos to external storage.

All because Apple being an eco-friendly virtue signalling company are hard wiring storage and RAM because it makes sense that when users run out of storage they either use external or ditch the out-of-capacity MBP and buy a new laptop! NOT.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 09.14.36.png

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I got my first Mac about a month ago (specs in sig). I've been told that if something goes wrong, the repair costs are much higher for these Macs vs. PCs. My question is, how long can I expect to keep this laptop without having issues/repairs if I take care of it properly? I've seen people still using 2012-2013 MacBooks so I guess there is hope?
The offspring is still using my MacBook from 2010.

I have never had a failure after the first few months, so they have of course all been covered by warranty. (And that has only been 2-3 out of the 20-30 Macs I’ve had since 1993.)

I recently got my Power Macintosh 9600 from 1997 out of storage, it still works.

Last edited:

oasantos1

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2023
Orange County, CA
I have the same model as you, reliability never really crossed my mind.
I've been using Macs since 2007 and the only issue I've had with a Mac is my 2011 iMac and the faulty graphics card.

I still have my early MacBook Pro, no issue. My 12" PowerBook G4 is also kicking.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I have the same model as you, reliability never really crossed my mind.
I've been using Macs since 2007 and the only issue I've had with a Mac is my 2011 iMac and the faulty graphics card.

I still have my early MacBook Pro, no issue. My 12" PowerBook G4 is also kicking.

I picked up a PowerBook G3 (Wallstreet) off eBay for $52 including shipping last month - not only is the machine fully functioning with no display issues, but the battery actually is still functional - holds a charge, is not swollen or distorted. In many ways, it's more impressive when older machines (regardless of manufacturer/OS) are still in good operating condition, especially given the known issues relating to plastic parts becoming brittle, capacitor leakage, and PRAM/CMOS batteries going bad.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
Been using MacBook Pros since 2009, kept them for around 3-4 years, and I've been lucky that not a single one (see signature) have had any issues at all whatsoever.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I've been a Mac user since 1986, and my oldest Mac, still in regular use, is a 1992 Classic II. It has had a RAM upgrade to 10Mb and a SCSI2SD replacement for the original hard drive, and I did need to wash the logic board once due to capacitors on it leaking (which is normal, unfortunately). But I have other Macs too. The only one I've had actually fail was a PowerBook 180c, made in 1994, failed in 2022.

More realistically, of all the Macs I've had in the past 20 years, every one is still working. That's 8 of them I can see from where I sit.

Macs are not really failure prone, though back in 1996 there was a bit of fuss about the PowerBook 5300. That was a real disaster, though mine still holds a charge and runs quite well.

• Wow
Reactions: Torty
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.