Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Now that the XR has been out for a while and people had time to test it in winter conditions: How robust and rugged is the iPhone XR?

I will use a slim case so scratches on the surface are not the issue.

I ask mostly about the screen scratching, dropping the phone, bending issues, water resistance and also most importantly how well does battery and screen perform when it's cold.

alvin29

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2019
Now that the XR has been out for a while and people had time to test it in winter conditions: How robust and rugged is the iPhone XR?

I ask mostly about the screen scratching, dropping the phone, bending issues, water resistance and also most importantly how well does battery and screen perform when it's cold.

Totally agree with you. I have XR and display have yellowish in particular at the bottom and replace the display one time but the yellowish still here. I think it's born to be..., display design problem.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
Been using since launch and robust can mean different things for different people. I'd suggest you look at Apple's website to see the normal operating conditions for the XR (Temp, elevation etc.).

But for me, robust means the battery life & it takes the cake. I mean, I can't even drain it with my use case if I wanted to.

I don't use a case since it's thick and heavy (a consequence of using iPhone 8 internal layout). Back exhibits hairline scratches that I am fine with. Front is covered by Belkin's invisi-shield which is brilliantly thin for a tempered glass.

Dropped a few times 2ft/3ft and no cracks (your mileage may vary). Happy with the build overall. The main reason you're getting the XR anyway is to show off the colors.

The display is first of it's kind so I can understand minor design flaws. The resolution argument is non-starter since it's the perfect balance for battery life and quality.

Reactions: andiwm2003

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
Got my on launch day, installed a temper glass on the front and also have it in a clear case.

Dropped in a couple of times, so far so good. No dents or scratches on the phone.

Reactions: andiwm2003

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004

I hope I never find out. I got used xr with some light scratching on the screen. Barely noticeable in bright light. And the only reason I wanted a used xr was:

1). Use this without a case
2). No case or screen protectors
3). I love the colors and I don’t want to obscure the look.
4). It it gets banged up it’s ok!

Bending isn’t an issue. It feels solid. I have washed the screen already with running water lol. It’s cool!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.