Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
I've been trying to find out just how much access apps have in later versions of macOS, specifically non-MAS apps that aren't run in sandbox. I know that they require your permission to access personal folders(or "Full Disk Access"), input, screen recording etc. in later macOS versions, but does that really work?

Let's say you download potential ransomware, how much access would it actually have to encrypt or even read your files if you haven't given it any explicit permissions in a popup or system preferences? And would potential spyware have access to the Keychain without your permission?

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
Ransomware/spyware would most likely use a zero-day exploit to bypass such permissions.
That’s true.

Was just curious as to how much access to your system normal apps have. Some say that they’re “self-contained” and can’t access anything outside their designated folders(this old thread regards MAS though), but I can’t find much up-to-date inform officially from Apple that confirms this for non-MAS apps..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.