Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
My 69 year old mom is using iPhone 7. She’s not very good at spotting malicious emails, links, webpges, links, etc. She doesn’t really need new phone, but I'm wondering if I should buy her a newer iPhone just for security reasons? Or will iPhone 7 get some security updates even though it doesn't get iOS 16?

Thank you in advance for your help.

gary77

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
London England
Safe bet Apple will continue to offer security updates to legacy models just recently Apple released an update for those using an iPhone 5s/6 models

Reactions: zecanard

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
My 69 year old mom is using iPhone 7. She’s not very good at spotting malicious emails, links, webpges, links, etc. She doesn’t really need new phone, but I'm wondering if I should buy her a newer iPhone just for security reasons? Or will iPhone 7 get some security updates even though it doesn't get iOS 16?

Like gary77 said, I would guess they will release security updates for a while for that model.. If you decide on a new phone though.. just remember, any of the new ones have NO home button. My mom doesn't want to change from a home button..She's on an 8. Anything above an 8 has no home button. I told her it just takes getting used to. She refuses..and is mad about that..

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020

Maybe try an SE for her. To her, the phone would likely seem the same as the 7. Further, you’d feel better knowing she has a phone with a fresh battery and newer everything else, including a chip that would get iOS updates for years.

Reactions: zecanard

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
iOS 15 may get fixes for some significantly exploited vulnerabilities, but don't count on it. It certainly won't be as safe as iOS 16. But if she doesn't do banking or anything sensitive it may not matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.