Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I have my computer password protected at logon and when waking from sleep/screensaver.

My roomate is pretty good with computers and he says he could get in and get rid of the passwords in 10 minutes... Is he an idiot or is there a way?

How secure is OS X? I thought it was very secure. Thanks!

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I could get rid of it in 3 minutes. Shorter depending on boot time. Pop in the install disk and use the password reset utility. No password required.

Personally, for any files I really want to secure, I encrypt with PGP. Can't break that.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
If he has a OS X boot disk then yes he could, but to prevent that you could apply an Open Firmware password to your computer. There is a way to circumvent OF passwords, but it's not very well known at all.

If he doesn't have a OS X boot disk, just wish him good luck :)

AppleMatt
edit: Also, you can make encrypted disk images with Disk Utility and put sensitive files on them, just make sure you don't save the disk image password to your keychain.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Peterkro said:
Didn't know that I thought it was extremely difficult,thanks for that.
I've never done it, but I heard you just have to remove or add a DIMM and zap the PRAM 3 times. If it didn't work, you turn if off and do it again. Supposedly, it usually works the first time.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
grapes911 said:
I've never done it, but I heard you just have to remove or add a DIMM and zap the PRAM 3 times. If it didn't work, you turn if off and do it again. Supposedly, it usually works the first time.
Well that's great! Now everybody knows! :rolleyes:

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
My computer is as insecure as hell. I don't password protect anything because it's a hassle. I don't have Filevault on (would be pointless as I never shut down my computer or log out) and everything is stored in my keychain, including my credit card details.

Maybe I am stupid but my computer rarely leaves the house at the moment and I can always cancel my cards with a single phone call. I don't think there's much point in stealing my old uni homework...

XNine

macrumors 68040
johnnyjibbs said:
My computer is as insecure as hell. I don't password protect anything because it's a hassle. I don't have Filevault on (would be pointless as I never shut down my computer or log out) and everything is stored in my keychain, including my credit card details.

Maybe I am stupid but my computer rarely leaves the house at the moment and I can always cancel my cards with a single phone call. I don't think there's much point in stealing my old uni homework...

Give me your email address. I've got this great program that helps speed up boot times if you place it in your startup items.

:D

XNine

macrumors 68040
dogbone said:
crazy dreaming.

The password could not be reset with the boot disk without you knowing.

Sure it could. All his roomate has to do to prove it is put in a different password. Sure, he'll notice, but what if this is a server that never gets shut down? :confused: He'd be screwed when he finally restarted and tried to access (if the boot discs were gone)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.