Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Can you use a windows computer to program for iOS? Like can you program in swift or Objective-C on a windows computer for iOS?

What is easier to learn swift or Objective-C?

I hear you have to use a text editor to program but I hear that some text editors like nano are not user friendly for newbies. What are the best text editors for newbies?

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
Can you use a windows computer to program for iOS? Like can you program in swift or Objective-C on a windows computer for iOS?

What is easier to learn swift or Objective-C?

I hear you have to use a text editor to program but I hear that some text editors like nano are not user friendly for newbies. What are the best text editors for newbies?
Yes, you can use VMware and install macOS and Xcode in it.
Swift is easier. Objective-C is difficult for even people that program in C#.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Yes, you can use VMware and install macOS and Xcode in it.
Swift is easier. Objective-C is difficult for even people that program in C#.
So you need some kind of virtualbox and install OS there? And run OSX in virtualbox on windows?

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
You’ll have to make some tweaks in Virtualbox to get macOS X to work therein, I’m not sure if Big Sur or Monteray will work (especially the latter).

So Apple does not support it? You have to cheat and run a Virtualbox on windows and install OSX there?

Apple wants you to buy Mac.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
You can write web apps in Javascript on either Macs or PCs (etc.), and run them in Safari, or as icon-clickable web apps on iOS devices.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
You also could use cross platform tech as react native, ionic, flutter, Xamarin with some constraints.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.