Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ios3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2022
I’m at a point in my life where I’d prefer just to have a solid working phone that receives software and security updates, without too many new bugs and UI changes. I know it will vary from vendor to vendor, but I have to ask how good Android updates have been recently?

From my username, I’ve used iPhone for a long time. But I’m kinda tired of the OS update cycle: new iOS, forced UI changes for the sake of change, new random bugs, iCloud battery drain, and UI and performance instability. And despite many beta testers reporting issues, it seems many are ignored. New updates don’t address many of the bugs, or introduce new ones.

Of course, no software is bug free. But I feel the iOS experience has seriously taken a downturn in quality. It’s quite sad to wait for many .x updates before upgrading or to always check if anything has been broken. And you pay a lot these days to have an iPhone.

After seeing devices like the S23, I’d like to try the Android route. My phone needs are quite basic, I just want reliability and security. Please share your thoughts on modern Android!

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Very smooth and uneventful for me- never hesitated to install any of them.

Depending on who your mobile carrier is, there can be additional delays before they become available. T-Mobile for sure and in the past Verizon too. I use an MVNO with T-Mobile 5g service and updates show up quicker for whatever reason(s).

I've had Pixel's, OnePlus 8 & 8T and now S23+ Android phones. All three platforms have mature iPhone switching processes these days.

Reactions: ios3

ios3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2022
Very smooth and uneventful for me- never hesitated to install any of them.

Depending on who your mobile carrier is, there can be additional delays before they become available. T-Mobile for sure and in the past Verizon too. I use an MVNO with T-Mobile 5g service and updates show up quicker for whatever reason(s).

I've had Pixel's, OnePlus 8 & 8T and now S23+ Android phones. All three platforms have mature iPhone switching processes these days.
Thanks for sharing! Un-eventful is what I am looking for haha. It’s great to hear how those platforms have matured. Personally, Samsung is looking to be the best option, as I don’t like phones too big, and their UI is nice.

I guess the only downside to what you mentioned is potentially waiting on the carrier to receive software updates. I actually remember in 2009-10 owning a BlackBerry, and that was the hurdle for getting new software updates as well.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Yup. Only downside with Samsung is the amount of unnecessary and duplicate (Samsung "branded"/pre-installed) app junk that should absolutely be disabled imo

I really like the size, performance, and overall usability of the S23+. The OS is not bad either compared to OxygenOS or even less polluted Google Android. Any of the three work fine for me (I'm not an Androd "purist" lol).

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/s23-ultra-debloat-list.4602527/ is an excellent way to squash extraneous stuff on Samsung devices.

Last edited:

ios3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2022
Yup. Only downside with Samsung is the amount of unnecessary and duplice app junk that should absolutely be disabled imo

I really like the size, performance, and overall usability of the S23+. The OS is not bad either compared to OxygenOS or even less polluted Google Android. Any of the three work fine for me (I'm not an Androd "purist" lol).

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/s23-ultra-debloat-list.4602527/ is an excellent way to squash extraneous stuff on Samsung devices.
Lol yes I remember hearing about Samsung bloat over the years, so I appreciate the link you sent. As long as the software doesn’t need to go through many overhauls that introduce new bugs, I’ll be happy.

The S23 line has really solid specs, even the base model is more than enough for my needs. No need to go for a “pro” option on the Apple side. Might have to grab one when on sale!

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
I had some issues around v11 where it stopped certain haptic feedback working on my A71, which were never resolved but other than that fine.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
Keep in mind, the way Android updates is very different from the way iPhones do. Many apps and features are updated throughout the year. So the annual OS update isn't nearly as much of a big deal as it is on iOS, since iOS uses that one update to update everything for the most part.

Reactions: edubfromktown

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I would say if you like stability then Samsung in my experience has always been king. If anything people tend to get upset with Samsung being too safe. The other advantage to one UI which is Samsung custom Android is the amount of customization and added features. This is also the Achilles heal as for some people it is just way too much.

Google Pixel phones would be another great choice. You will get a simpler UI that is slick and thoughtful. You will get updates faster. You will get updates on the Pixel 8 for 7 years.

Pixel phones can be a little unstable for the first month or so after release and then they tend to get better and better.

On a Pixel you will have a ton of AI features not available in iOS such as call screening (a life saver) advance through menus, hold the phone, tons of camera stuff, the best voice to text in the business making the phone actually usable hands free.

I don't think you can go wrong with an s23 or Pixel 8. Any configuration or model of those respective lines is a great phone with the Ultra and Pro being my choice of either.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
So have I, but I decided to try leaving my Samsungs standard from about android 11 I believe, to be honest I've never looked back
Right on.

I've migrated between OnePlus, Pixel and Samsung devices so Nova is a high quality least common denominator. Google's launcher and cookie-cutter look is so horrid that I had to find a way to nuke it from orbit in a systematic/platform independent way LOL

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
Right on.

I've migrated between OnePlus, Pixel and Samsung devices so Nova is a high quality least common denominator. Google's launcher and cookie-cutter look is so horrid that I had to find a way to nuke it from orbit in a systematic/platform independent way LOL
it's funny how everyone is different, I would love Pixel os on my S23+, or the hardware of my s23+ on a pixel lol

Reactions: edubfromktown
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.