Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
Well, it can survive a hard fall of about 4 feet, I know that for sure. I own a G3 iBook without wireless (I'm broke) so I always have a 100 foot ethernet cord trailing behind me. Somehow, as I was walking from one room to another, I got tangled up in it, did a funny little twirly-dance, practically threw the iBook out of my way (if I would have landed on it there would surely be no chance of survival) and fell to the ground face first (ouch). The iBook landed hard on its left side. It was powered on, as a matter of fact I was browsing this forum. The sound it made on contact was horrible to say the least. But I'll be damned...so far not a thing wrong with it! When I say it took a hard hit I mean it REALLY took a hard hit. When I picked it up off the floor I wasn't breathing...it felt like my heart had stopped. The screen was black, all was quiet...for about 3 seconds. All of a sudden the screen lit up and it was right where I left it. I just had to reconnect to the internet and I was rolling again. Just wanted to share that with everyone, for I am blown away that the thing isn't dead. If a moose like me can't kill this iBook it is one hardy machine;)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Mine survived the abuse and 18" drop by airport security the other day.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Those kinda stories are comforting to hear as an iBook owner, mine hasnt suffered any serious trauma yet.......

But at least i know it can handle it lol

Shadow

iSaint

macrumors 603
jadekitty24 said:
Well, it can survive a hard fall of about 4 feet, I know that for sure. I own a G3 iBook without wireless (I'm broke) so I always have a 100 foot ethernet cord trailing behind me. Somehow, as I was walking from one room to another, I got tangled up in it, did a funny little twirly-dance, practically threw the iBook out of my way (if I would have landed on it there would surely be no chance of survival) and fell to the ground face first (ouch). The iBook landed hard on its left side. It was powered on, as a matter of fact I was browsing this forum. The sound it made on contact was horrible to say the least. But I'll be damned...so far not a thing wrong with it! When I say it took a hard hit I mean it REALLY took a hard hit. When I picked it up off the floor I wasn't breathing...it felt like my heart had stopped. The screen was black, all was quiet...for about 3 seconds. All of a sudden the screen lit up and it was right where I left it. I just had to reconnect to the internet and I was rolling again. Just wanted to share that with everyone, for I am blown away that the thing isn't dead. If a moose like me can't kill this iBook it is one hardy machine;)

Maybe it's time to get that wireless card!

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
When I say I'm broke I mean seriously broke. I just lost my job and am having a tough time finding one. I intend to get a new iBook sometime next year which will come with a wireless card and the newest OS (I'm using 10.2.8) and a bit more ram than I have. To do all these upgrades to my current iBook wouldn't make any sense when I could get a new one for just a bit more. I intend to give this one to my mother for she would only use this on a desk and wouldn't need the wireless. Perhaps if I had the extra money I would upgrade this now and wait for a good deal on a newer model, but circumstances are what they are.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
jadekitty24 said:

Wow, that had to be one heck of a scary moment. Glad to hear that everything appears to be fine with your iBook! :)

If anything like that happened to my iBook...:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.